• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle buck

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
This is my first season hunting out of a saddle. I have two saddles currently, a Cuzr XC and a Treehopper Recon. I have gravitated to the Recon and was in it when I got the buck.

This has been a tough season. After passing several does early season since I did not feel like I needed the venison due to having a good bit still in the freezer from last season I have been struggling to see deer after the start of gun season. I have been regretting that decision not to take an early season doe or two. It put me in a position where I felt pressure to just get something on the ground.

I had several good bucks on what little camera runs I have done and have been targeting those deer.

Yesterday I went into an area that borders a marsh and found a couple of fresh scrapes near a thicket. I suspect the second rut may be starting here. I set up along that scrape line. I saw nothing but squirrels until about 20 minutes before dark when I caught sight of three does emerging from the marsh and walking the edge of that thicket. Soon I saw a buck following behind them. I eased around the trunk of the tree and got ready. I let the does pass and as the buck stepped behind a tree I drew back and anchored. He continued on and I was about to bleat to stop him when he paused on his own. I settled the pin and released. I got a good double lung passthrough at about 14 yards and the buck ran 50 yards and piled up.

It all played out perfectly and since I saw him go down there was no lengthy search in the dark. He is not my biggest buck but I am sure glad to have him.

Attachments

• 2022 buck .jpg
    2022 buck .jpg
    332 KB · Views: 82
I just put a tape on that G2 and its deceptive. It is 7 1/2 inches. He's not a really big buck. I didn't measure him, but I would guess he rough scores about 100 to 105. He could have used a few more years no doubt but where he was, he was very unlikely to get it.

I just put a tape on that G2 and its deceptive. It is 7 1/2 inches. He's not a really big buck. I didn't measure him, but I would guess he rough scores about 100 to 105. He could have used a few more years no doubt but where he was, he was very unlikely to get it.
Wow! I guess the shorter points just make that on look really long. Now we know why they are hard to judge on the hoof I guess.

Yeah, if you had asked me that and I wasn't able to measure it I would have guessed offhand about 10 to 12 inches, and I have seen him up close. We only had about a week of season left and so he didn't get the pass he would likely have gotten in October or November. But, as you say, it's very difficult of judge them on the hoof unless they are big.

I will say that once I see a buck and decide he is a shooter I stop looking at his rack and concentrate on the shot. It's usually a pretty fast decision.

Back