• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle Deer - Nov 6th

vtbowhunt

I figured I would share my success story.

I’m from Vermont and hunting here is very difficult. Big woods and a low deer population make for tough conditions. As such, I’ve ventured out of state for a few hunts over the last few years.

I travelled to PA this year for Archery season. This deer was taken on 11/06/21 at around 2pm. I had set up early in the morning on a little bench point that extended from a field. Below the point was a nice drainage with water and food. At first light I had five does and a booner buck come up from below me headed up on the bench. The does came in range but the buck stayed out at 50-70 yards. However, I knew I was on a good spot. The rest of the morning was quiet. Around noon I ate lunch and then dozed off in the saddle.

At two-ish I woke from my nap and heard something coming in from the field. My eyes focused immediately on the sun glowing off the rack on its head, walking straight at me and already within 40 yards!

At this point I was turned with my right side to the tree, seated in the saddle and not at all in shooting position. I reached over, grabbed my bow and attempted to get into a shooting position. I had my left foot on my platform and my right shin against the tree. He came into an opening at 25 yards and stopped. I was already at full draw and settled the 20 yard pin at his back line. As I touched the release, I tipped backwards just ever so slightly, sending the arrow right over his back! Sh*t!

He bound forward two leaps and stopped, looking away from me, where the arrow had exploded on the ground (shattered the broadhead and the nock). Now was my chance to reset. I grabbed another arrow, steadied my feet and got into a better shooting stance.

Luck was on my side. The buck turned right and headed towards my primary shooting lane on my left. As he ducked behind some trees I went to full draw and settled into position, knowing he was going to come out at 20 yards.

This time I was ready and in position. I took a deep breath and settled the 20 yard pin in the middle of his chest. Thwack! He kicked, ran 20 yards, started to trot, then stumble and waver. He fell into a sapling and dropped at 70 yards away! Double lung shot!

Takeaways, no matter how much practice I thought I had, I wasn’t prepared for an off balance shot. I also rushed the shot way to much but I was concerned he was going to head over the drainage away from me. Instead I need to be patient. Always something to learn.

B6FEB725-5E4F-4AFC-AC49-0DD14FE8D93A.jpeg1BAC4FBF-0A5C-458B-A2B9-5D6855F213AE.jpeg0A0FD132-F6A4-4872-81DD-0F600510CAA3.jpeg01B67AF1-E3C9-4C58-828F-CD8886DE492D.jpeg

Nothing like sharing a good hunting story, especially a successful one.
Nice work keeping your composure and getting yourself ready for a second shot.
Congrats!

Nothing like sharing a good hunting story, especially a successful one.
Nice work keeping your composure and getting yourself ready for a second shot.
Congrats!
I thought for sure I had blown my only chance. Couldn’t believe it when he turned and walked closer to me.

Woohoo! Congrats on a great deer! I love the shadow shots too. I sent one to my wife a few days ago…just cool!

Congratulations on a very nice buck! :cool:
I shot my first tree saddle buck, while wearing the saddle. :rolleyes: I was on the ground scouting, after a morning hunt. Sure enough, I see one coming my way. So, I hide, hit the grunt call a couple of times and wait. He started hunting me and I ended up shooting him at 27 yards. I'll have to wait until next season to kill a buck while actually in the tree AND in my saddle.
B3.jpg

Back