• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle hunt review

slonstdy

SH Member
DId my very first ever saddle hunt yesterday and want to share my thoughts and findings. Most of the experienced guys here probably already know this stuff but I'm putting it out for the newbies like myself and the soon to be's.

The spot I hunted is a first time location with a mile walk in on a hilly trail. Not a bad walk but something I wouldn't have done with my LW assault and 4 LW sticks that I would normally use on state land hunts. Total weight of saddle hunting equipment (minus bow) is 25lbs, that's with a welded aluminum home made platform (~5.5lbs) and 3 sticks with rope mod and 2 step aiders (~9lbs). Already in process of version 2.0 on those items and should be able to drop 1 to 2 lbs off. I parked my truck at 09:00 on this sunny 29* morning. Being this was the first time hunting this area my thoughts were get there in mid morning in daylight so I had time to verify the location and select the right tree as I stumbled on this spot while scouting and found it at dusk a few weeks ago.

Right away I noticed the difference in bulkiness, or should I say lack of bulkiness with the pack. Gone was the feeling of having a hard flat unforgiving and uncomfortable piece metal, almost like a table big and rigid strapped to my back. Walked in with hat off and jacket strapped to pack and got to tree 25 mins later. Warm, but not wet and sweaty. Unpacked and got settled in tree in 35 mins. Yeah, I know slow but this was first time out with modified equipment and new style of hunting so I took things slo n stdy... Next time out should be half the time as I now know the sequence on setting up.

For those concerned about "hanging off" the edge of a platform by a rope for fear of falling well let me tell you it's not what you think. I have never felt more secure up a tree in my 30 years of hunting as I was yesterday in a saddle!! I am not "afraid" of heights (do have a healthy respect for the laws of gravity and the effects of sudden impacts to the body) but the feeling of being supported by the tether is priceless. I always wore a body harness when hunting from a tree stand knowing there was the chance of a fall, albeit only a couple of feet, but a fall none the less so every move I ever made was done very slowly and deliberately making sure footing and balance were top priorities. Every movement to me felt awkward and excessive and the harness tether always seemed to be in the way when ever I turned to face the tree to get in my pack. Well, all of that is gone! I was using a sitdrag/rch combo (tethrd on both) and could not believe the security, comfort and mobility throughout the six hours of hunting. Every move was so smooth, whether walking around platform or pivoting to look behind me was effortless and what felt like undetectable. My lower back is always in pain sitting in a tree stand that I've come to stand for a few minutes every half hour to stretch it out but even with that, the rest of the night it's stiff and achy. Six hours in a saddle was like my back was on vacation, never gave me the slightest hint of pain or discomfort! This saddle hunting is a game changer for sure.

A few more perks I found being in a saddle:

- Being able to position myself in the sunshine to warm up. No more waiting for the sun to slowly make it's way around the tree while I shiver. (My platform was set up on the north side of tree to hunt over deer trail to the south)
- Being behind tree hidden from likely deer route or should I say the route I was hoping they'd take
- I easily reached into my pack for items and food with minimal movement as I set it up about a foot off platform and was facing it
- Used pack as a cushion for my knee when I was taking a break from leaning and knelt against tree
- Range finder, grunt tube, bow holder, and quiver all in front of me. Gone is reaching blindly behind me fumbling in pack hoping I don't accidentally pull something else out and drop it, or off to the side to grab bow creating more movement and silhouettes
- overall less weight/chance for noise - used paracord with alpine loops as equipment holder instead of screw in folding metal bow holder and screw in step for pack
- the pride and satisfaction that some equipment is DIY (modified sitdrag, linemans belt added to rch etc...) and performed flawlessly

I was leaning most of the time up there and did get a little achy on my right hip after the 4th hour. I think it was due to my tether off center in relation to my platform. The tether at rest was in line with the left edge of the platform so I had to exert pressure to stay in center of platform or I would swing to the left. Learning curve taught by the best teacher, experience! The legs and feet do tire after awhile and when they did I would sit with a knee resting against the tree. If I had a back support I could, no make that would have fallen asleep!

Unfortunately the only action I had was a coyote that came past at 35yds (I didn't have a clear shooting lane) that never knew how close to death it was.

Getting down the tree needs some fine tuning too. Seemed like I had too many items and not enough places to attach them. My fault because I forgot to tie paracord loops to the rch equipment loops to carry the sticks and platform. And I was unable to get my sitdrag bridge over my head and around my neck for the way down because I had my jacket and pack on first. I was going to use the tether as a second lineman to get around a couple of limbs (while always remaining attached to tree) but decided not to because I didn't want to get confused with having two carabiners on each lineman loop and risk accidentally disconnecting the wrong one being they are identical to each other. Thinking of color coding each belt and associated equipment. In short, I came down in a tangled mess of ropes and sticks but again doing is the best experience for learning. On the walk back to the truck I was amazed at how much energy I had and how refreshed I felt, way different than the tired and achy-ness usually felt from my normal tree stand hunting.

Saddle hunting is the only way to go for me, I don't believe there is a logical reason why anyone wouldn't, other than physical disabilities or finances possibly. But for those on the fence I would say to be prepared because if you go down the saddle hunting rabbit hole you ain't never turning back!

Finally and most importantly, I would like to thank each and every member in this incredible saddle hunting forum for all your information so generously and willingly offered. All my hours reading your posts, the researching, learning and sharing of new ideas here has been an invaluable aid in my transformation to a saddle hunter and I am forever grateful to be a member of this community.

Thanks again :D:D:D:D!!!!

Back