• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle sit

I had my first saddle sit today as well, diy kestrel clone, WE stepps and knaider/swaider. Doe and 2 yearlings this morning. Tried another spot this evening and also saw a doe and 2 yearlings, not sure if it was the same ones from this morning. Love the mobility in the saddle and 360 degrees of shooting but the best part is not carrying the climber!

I had my first saddle sit today as well, diy kestrel clone, WE stepps and knaider/swaider. Doe and 2 yearlings this morning. Tried another spot this evening and also saw a doe and 2 yearlings, not sure if it was the same ones from this morning. Love the mobility in the saddle and 360 degrees of shooting but the best part is not carrying the climber!
I agree with 100%. How do you like the WE steps? I am borrowing a step and perch from a buddy but I am having a hard time getting it to hold onto a pine.

I agree with 100%. How do you like the WE steps? I am borrowing a step and perch from a buddy but I am having a hard time getting it to hold onto a pine.
Theres a slight learning curve wth the WE steps and getting them to cam right every time. Love the weight and portability. Ive been climbing mostly pines and haven't had any issues.

Theres a slight learning curve wth the WE steps and getting them to cam right every time. Love the weight and portability. Ive been climbing mostly pines and haven't had any issues.
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I either have it to right and it want cam over or I loosen it up, it will cam over but doesn’t bit the tree when I put weight in it.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I either have it to right and it want cam over or I loosen it up, it will cam over but doesn’t bit the tree when I put weight in it.
I was having the same problem at first... when you tie the knot pull the rope tight around the tree then as you pull it through the locking loop let it loosen just slightly then really work it up the tree before you cam it over. Thats what seems to be working for me then I pull down on the step a bit to make sure its set. Ive had a few go sideways on me when weight was added... tightened up the rope and recammed and then its good to go.

I was having the same problem at first... when you tie the knot pull the rope tight around the tree then as you pull it through the locking loop let it loosen just slightly then really work it up the tree before you cam it over. Thats what seems to be working for me then I pull down on the step a bit to make sure its set. Ive had a few go sideways on me when weight was added... tightened up the rope and recammed and then its good to go.
Thanks! I’ll give that a shot.

Thanks! I’ll give that a shot.
Good luck working on getting quicker with them... seemed to go faster this morning than it did on Saturday. 4 steps with the knaider/swaider gets me over 20 feet havent needed to use the 5th step yet lol.

Good luck working on getting quicker with them... seemed to go faster this morning than it did on Saturday. 4 steps with the knaider/swaider gets me over 20 feet havent needed to use the 5th step yet lol.
Man that’s good, they have to pack much better than 4sticks. My sticks attach to the outside of my pack and carry good but if it’s thick they do get caught on limbs and briars occasionally.

Man that’s good, they have to pack much better than 4sticks. My sticks attach to the outside of my pack and carry good but if it’s thick they do get caught on limbs and briars occasionally.
Yeah they pack really well. I made a kydex holster for them similar to @Murph4028 and it keeps it simple. Ive also thought about giving one sticking a go to see which method is easier.

Back