• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First sit of year, no recovery :(

donnyphase

Southeast Mississippi, our season doesn't begin until Oct. 15 -- last Friday was my first opportunity to get out and get in the woods. Day after a cold front, and heading to a spot I've had marked for a few seasons, but haven't been able to get to due to too much cover.

sshot-2018-10-30_03-52-23_PM.png

Pines were recently cut, only hardwoods remain. The woodline in the pic above is a small, thick covered creek (some spots are literally tunnels). This area is awesome with lots of draws, ridges and several ditches -- many great bedding spots with lots of sign to support it over the years.

Got into tree around 4PM and around 6PM, 2 large does came over a hilltop to my 3 o'clock, one just out of shooting range. About 30 minutes later, nearing last light, two 8-points came over the same hill, but went in the opposite direction -- hugging the contour line in front of me while eating acorns. The first guy was directly in front of the tree at 24 yds, swung around, perfect broadside setup, took a shot... I hit a few inches high -- no pass thru :(

Both bucks take off 30 yds, then make a hard turn uphill into super, super thick woods. I see my lighted nock disappear into the cover.

I wait about 40 minutes before hopping down -- no blood at site of impact. I take off to follow the path of the buck, now in total darkness. I see a red nock! (at what would have been ~30 yds from stand's 7 o'clock)

sshot-2018-10-30_03-52-51_PM.png

sshot-2018-10-30_03-53-47_PM.png

Blood, but no deer. Looks like broadhead snagged a branch and completed the pass-thru.

My initial hope on shot was that I hit spine, or just below spine and clipped lungs. Blood trail was sporadic, I was only able to follow for 30 yards or so, then I backed out and waiting until the following morning.

sshot-2018-10-30_04-34-31_PM.png

Looks like both sides here:
sshot-2018-10-30_04-35-21_PM.png

Picked up the trail the next morning with a buddy, we found some more blood -- he hit a draw heading back downhill towards creek, last blood was about 150 yds from where shot. Tried to use local blood dog network, but was unable to get in touch. At this point the temps have gone from 44 to 75 degrees, so I headed back home.

Here we are a few days later -- no buzzard sightings out there, so I'm hoping the buck made it out alive. After sitting on the couch, scrolling through carcass pix, I'm thinking I hit just above spine, with one broadhead blade hitting bone (one blade was bent). Blue dot in pic below is where I'm thinking I hit.

sshot-2018-10-30_04-36-20_PM.png

On a positive note, this was first time out in the Mantis -- it was outstanding. I've gone from Guido's Web, to Evo, to Kestrel, now to Mantis, and the Mantis is by far my favorite setup yet. At this point, any modifications I need I'll likely do myself -- which should help the pocket book!

Making a few tweaks to bow this week and building a few new arrows for some of my fixed blades. I've wanted to sacrifice some speed for some weight for a while, now I have an excuse. I keep replaying the shot in my head -- a touch lower and we'd have a different post here. I typically practice from 40-60 yds, with great groups from that range -- I can only assume I went into my shot a little cocky with it being so close, I dunno, everything felt great until I saw the nock sticking up high. Lesson learned -- won't make the same mistake twice!

- jd

I've bowhunted for almost 20 years. I shot the first three deer I killed with muzzy's and switched to spitfires and did not lose a single deer to poor penetration or broadheads breaking over the years. But I watched as friend after friend had issues. I committed this year to making the change back to fixed blades and I'm sure happy I did. Early returns have me thinking I made the right call, and am fortunate to have not had any issues prior.

Sounds like you just flat out missed though,-seems like you did everything right. It happens. Hopefully the deer makes it through, they're tough.

I think you're on the right path with your adjustment there and adding weight. Question - did the deer hit the ground when you hit him? Assuming not, you may have completely missed any bone. If I shot a modern compound bow at a deer, and went through nothing but 10" of muscle on the top of his back, and didn't get a complete pass through with the arrow buried in the dirt - that would be all the convincing I need to shoot a heavier arrow and fixed blades!

Don't beat yourself up - He's gonna heal up and be trotting around your woods looking for a doe in short order! Go get em!

Last edited:
Back