• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First sit...TEST

Skunkworkx

Since I was bored and the weather is nice, I'm out of the deer woods grabbing a bite. (sitting in woods out front of house) I figured I'd try my saddle. I only went up 2 sticks and don't have a platform or anything, so I just stood on top stick for about 1/2 hour...a little unnerving, but I liked it. 20' up may be different and I know a platform will make it better.

SO, how do you get over just hanging from a rope ? I guess time ?

I much prefer the saddle to a stand. I think the constant tension make me feel a bit more secure. I can be in the saddle and move with confidence. I freak out standing up on my lock on.

You'll get used to it. I ran my lineman belt through my carabiner for a secondary bridge for a while. I still always tie an alpine butterfly knot in the tag end of my tether and hook it back into my carabiner.

All I can say is relax and enjoy it. It’s much safer than sitting on a platform. If you start rappelling down you’ll see it’s the safest way to come down the tree too. Rappel down to a stick and take it off then go to the next, if your not one-sticking that is. .

Since I was bored and the weather is nice, I'm out of the deer woods grabbing a bite. (sitting in woods out front of house) I figured I'd try my saddle. I only went up 2 sticks and don't have a platform or anything, so I just stood on top stick for about 1/2 hour...a little unnerving, but I liked it. 20' up may be different and I know a platform will make it better.

SO, how do you get over just hanging from a rope ? I guess time ?

Most of us have felt it, I know I did! Hang at ground level and try to fall out of it! I mean lean way over further than you’d ever consider in the normal course . Turn side to side running your bridge through its carabiner as far as you can…..I’d do this just off the ground, not atop a stick:)

While your at it, connecting and disconnecting from the tree a few times is good practice……and will help build that confidence!

A simple thing like having your carabiner properly attached and knowing how to get it there every time is important. If I clip the top side away from me, the gate will always be facing me and the lock will screw downward when it’s in place. A small thing like this kind of gives you the idea that you do know what you are doing and that you are safe. I still run a redundant bridge that I rappel from. Yet, I have no fear of opening a carabiner and attaching my back strap, while hanging from it…..not a recommendation :cool:

All I can say is relax and enjoy it. It’s much safer than sitting on a platform. If you start rappelling down you’ll see it’s the safest way to come down the tree too. Rappel down to a stick and take it off then go to the next, if your not one-sticking that is. .
Maybe next year...too much at once already. lol

The main reason why I started saddle hunting is that as I was getting older, ( I'll be 61 this year,) I noticed I was developing a fear of heights-heck, I'd watch a movie with a "high rise" scene like the 1st "new" james bond movie where he's chasing a guy across a construction crane, and my palms would start to sweat!!:expressionless: That irritated me, as earlier in my career (I'm now retired) I had to work in high locations alot, & it didn't bother me, so I decided to do something about that. I'll be honest-the first time I went up in a saddle, I DID NOT feel safer than I did in my climbing treestand, even though I KNEW that I was!

So, how did I "make peace" with it? The answer for me "was simple, but not easy-" PRACTICE!

I'm lucky enough to live on 1 little wooded acre, with PLENTY of different sized trees to climb-What do I want today- a straight one with no limbs down low-got a bunch...how about a huge black oak twin that tests the length of the ropes on my sticks or steps, and forces me to decide which "twin" I'll go up on-got one...what about a skinny leaner... got a few, as well as trees with branches sticking out all over the place! It's raining? Time to see how I do this in the rain. (My wife thinks I'm crazy on those days!)

The more you practice with your gear, the more confident you will become! If it sits in a tub all year long, then you'll be nervous when you use it-it's that simple.

I also get plenty of exercise doing this, so it's a "double benefit." I see my Dr every 6 mos because I have high blood pressure, & when I saw her after about a year of playing with saddles, she asked me what I do for exercise, & I told her that I climb trees! She gave me a perplexed look until I explained, then she said, "keep doing that!"

I also enjoy the challenge of proper equipment use-carabiners, knots, sticks, steps, you name it. I feel that it helps me keep my aging mind sharp. In fact, I feel comfortable enough with my original gear (took about 3 yrs) that this year I've decided to try an aider on the way up, to reduce the number of steps I take in, and a rappel line to come down.

Another benefit for me is I have become my own "tree arborer." I can climb trees and take care of small problems that may otherwise turn into big ones!

Plus, I also always set up some of my 3D targets around the tree I climb-then I get to practice pulling up my bow, hanging it, & shooting it-no sense going thru all of that effort to climb & not get to shoot!

Bottom line- confidence comes with good, regular practice! Hope this helps!

Go out in the yard with your hunting gear and a book. Set up 2 feet off the ground and spend a few hours reading and relaxing. Spending a bunch of time in a fairly fool proof setting will help you build comfort and confidence.

Back