• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First time saddle gear buying

Hey guys I’m looking into gathering as much info as possible. You seasoned saddle guys if you could do it all over again and just buy one really good effective setup for one sticking what would you buy.
im 6.1 200 Ibs and looking at the Cruzer xc with theEWO 15 inch stick and platform. Was wondering if I should just buy th complete kit from cruzer as far as ropes etc or should I buy all the ropes for one sticking and just buy the saddle from them. I’d love to hear what brands of ropes and accessories you would try to pick up.

I bought the ultimate one stick, rope and accessories from doublesteps.com.
I also bought the ESS saddle and will be using a ring of steps, can’t speak much to Cruzr stuff, didn’t research that line much.

Buy once? That is crazy talk and impossible. However, I suggest buying the best you can and tinker from there. The main portion of your set up might be good and just need some touch up. Good luck.

Hey guys I’m looking into gathering as much info as possible. You seasoned saddle guys if you could do it all over again and just buy one really good effective setup for one sticking what would you buy.
im 6.1 200 Ibs and looking at the Cruzer xc with theEWO 15 inch stick and platform. Was wondering if I should just buy th complete kit from cruzer as far as ropes etc or should I buy all the ropes for one sticking and just buy the saddle from them. I’d love to hear what brands of ropes and accessories you would try to pick up.
1. Win millions in the lottery. 2. Send it all to Dano & any company that sells gear, platforms and such for saddle hunting. 3. Be happy with your setup until someone comes up with another new product or way to climb, then sell everything & start over.

Saddle hunting is not one of those area where you are "buy once cry once" situation. Its a very personal choice and no one setup is perfect for you, or even the whole season. Good thing is your 'main' components like the saddle, stick, platform, etc keep their resale value pretty well.

IMHO, buy whatever you think is the best, but don't be afraid to sell/trade it for another setup if you find that it is not perfect for you. Also don't be be obsess over weights.

But here is my current 'final' setup that I do not see changing anytime soon.

35 ft Canyon IV rope with quicklink: I think 9mm is the best balance in usage/size/weight. Oplux was good but did not meet the spec requirement of a lot of devices.
Petzl GriGri: smooth rappelling
Hawk Mini with cam cleat: Does everything I need. I don't plan to hunt all day on it so highest quality stick was not necessary.
3 steps Amsteel aider with cobra weaved paracord as steps: light and stable, webbing was just a little too bulky
DIY LWCG Ambush platform: biggest platform until you get to full hang-on setup.
Treehopper Recon modified: Comfortable and fit my needs. But a fleece saddle is just as good.

Back