• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fish recipes? (not fried)

cville_bowhunter

What are some of your favorite recipes for preparing fish?

One of my super simple go-tos is from my grandparents. The recipe is originally for striper ( or rock fish), but I have done it with many kinds of fish, and it always turn out great:

Place your filet(s) skin side down on a greased baking sheet. Coat the exposed side in mayonnaise so that there is a thin, even layer covering the fish. Sprinkle Old Bay on the mayo and throw under the broiler for a few minutes. You'll know its done when the mayo starts to brown up. Voila, you're done!

My wife does salmon fillets with a mixture of garlic, thyme, rosemary and places lemon slices on top. Bake until fillets start to flake (typically around 30 minutes for an inchish thick fillet at 400 degrees)
For tilapia she’ll get whole gutted fish and prop them open with a skewer or something and stuff the inside with cherry tomatoes, diced cucumbers and diced onions if I’m not eating(onion allergy) then hose that mixture down liberally with calamansi juice. I’m not sure how long she cooks it as sometimes she broils and sometimes she bakes but it’s done when it flakes, don’t want over dry. Also try and get male tilapia if you can, females taste kinda muddy.

My favorite go to, so simple receipe is butter, lemon juice and liberal Old Bay. Bake in the oven for 20mins at 350-375 degrees. Perfect and tasty every time.

I go liberal on all 3 of the ingredients so there is 'sauce' to spoon over the fish and rice. Add some steamed vegetables for a meal fit for a king.

One of my favorites is also striped bass fillets skin side down but on the grill with either Tony C’s or old bay.

We ate fish often but then after buying a property on a lake with fresh water stripers and a boat to catch them in I suddenly developed a fish allergy at the age if 41.:(

Walleye chowder, garnished with bacon and green onions in a bread bowl is a winter meal fit for a king. That's probably my #2 behind the many variations of fish fry we do. We'll also occassionally do sauteed, poached, or blackened. Leftovers usually turn into fish cakes.

Walleye chowder, garnished with bacon and green onions in a bread bowl is a winter meal fit for a king. That's probably my #2 behind the many variations of fish fry we do. We'll also occassionally do sauteed, poached, or blackened. Leftovers usually turn into fish cakes.
Where are you getting bread bowls from? Or are you making them?

Top two for me would be blackened and cooked in a cast iron pan, and I also like to smoke mackeral or snapper filets on my pellet smoker. After smoking I let the filets cool off and shred the fish and add in your preferred spices, celery, onion, mayo etc and have it as a dip or a nice sammich.

The Walleye Chowder is a must try! Anyone one that I have ever served it to always said it is the best fish meal ever. My go to instead of bread bowl is a french bread spread butter on and grill in a cast iron pan, great to dip in the chowder. We are also a big fan of beer batter fried panfish.

this works for any fish, i don't remember or cook with proportions....so you'll have to eyeball/taste it

cook on stove top chopped onion, carrot, and celery in a healthy dose of butter and season to taste (for me that is salt, pepper, garlic, and sometimes a little ground red pepper)

after pretty much cooked, flood with lemon juice and continue until done/everything all mixed up with each

pour this over your fish while in an individual foil pack (keeps the fluids on the fish) and fold up and throw in the oven

you can cook with less butter or use a butter substitute to make it a lighter meal....i'd increase the lemon in this case but that's just me....i find a mild fish with a lot of lemon to be refreshing so long as not too bitter

Last edited:
Back