• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fixed Blade Broadhead Recommendations

BowhunterXC

I shoot fixed blade broadheads out of my compound and recurve. However, I'm wondering if that's possible with the speeds of these newer crossbows. :rolleyes: I have a Ravin R10 and it's an absolute tack driver at longer ranges than I intend to take shots at hunting distances.

I've shot some Slick Trick broadheads out of it, but they seem to deviate from the field point of impact. This is not normal for either my compound or recurve, but we're talking about a HUGE (400 fps with the R10) difference in speed. o_O I'm thinking that I either need to build a heavier bolt with a high FOC or keep testing with other brands and styles of fixed blade broadheads until I find something that flies to the same P.O.I. as the field tips.

What fixed blade broadhead are you using?
Do they fly to the same point of impact as the field tips?

I don't shoot crossbow but I switched this year from NAP Thunderheads that I've shot for about 30 years to Magnus Buzzcut Serazors and when I tested them out for flight they were hitting exactly where my field points hit out to 30 yards. Hope this helps. Oh. I also shot an 8 pointer with the Magnus earlier this year and watched him drop at 30 yards so I was very pleased with their performance too. 125 gr. version. fyi

I shoot fixed blade broadheads out of my compound and recurve. However, I'm wondering if that's possible with the speeds of these newer crossbows. :rolleyes: I have a Ravin R10 and it's an absolute tack driver at longer ranges than I intend to take shots at hunting distances.

I've shot some Slick Trick broadheads out of it, but they seem to deviate from the field point of impact. This is not normal for either my compound or recurve, but we're talking about a HUGE (400 fps with the R10) difference in speed. o_O I'm thinking that I either need to build a heavier bolt with a high FOC or keep testing with other brands and styles of fixed blade broadheads until I find something that flies to the same P.O.I. as the field tips.

I had to fall back onto my old Parker thunder hawk. I put a few of my Magnus in the dirt the other night, and didn't have the stuff to re sharpen. So I screwed on a few of my Grizzly massais. I was a few inches low at 30. Pretty impressed. I think I may continue to use them. Now, I'm not shooting 400+fps with this thing like the raven. But the extra weight took a little bounce of it I think. So almost feels better with more weight up front. I may just stick with them.

I appreciate the recommendations. :) I purchased a package of TenPoint brand mechanicals, called Center Punch with a 1 7/8" cutting diameter, at 100 grains. NAP makes them for TenPoint, it's their broadhead called Slingblade. :cool: No rubber bands, no collars, etc.

I would look into the A2 sawtooth or the kudu contour I shoot both from my compound and xbow. They are relatively cheap, hold up really well.
I shoot my biggest buck to date @ 50 yards last Saturday and another buck on the second day of the season at 56 both with A2 sawtooth.

No xbow experience (yet, Mini on the way) but I shoot qad exodus broadheads from my bow because they fly like field points and I don't trust my newbie bow tuning. Saw many positive xbow reviews as well when I was researching them back in the day

I am shooting the 2" SEVR at around 390 fps. I love them. I am not sure I would even consider a fixed broadhead for my crossbow at this point.

I 2ND the ramcat. I'm a mechanical guy but the ramcat fixed head flew great and is quieter then other fixed heads.

I 2ND the ramcat. I'm a mechanical guy but the ramcat fixed head flew great and is quieter then other fixed heads.
I went to it from mechs…. not the strongest blades but that’s about the only downside.

VPA 3 blade has been nice for my wife’s arrows. Also extremely easy to sharpen to.6218444A-8E80-4D70-8C46-5C406EE2AD73.png

Slick trick standards from what I’ve tested and read hit the same poi as field points. I’m shooting 380 gr @ 370fps though.

I’m a big fan of Iron Will Outfitters. Not cheap, but indestructible and backed by a fantastic warranty.

Broadheads will almost always fly slower than the same weight field point. The broad heads are bigger and have more wind resistance, which slows them down and typically hit lower than field points.

Any small cut on contact broadhead impacts the exact same as my field points out to 80 yards. With compound bow. HC mini I’ve only shot them out to 50. Same thing.

Maybe something happens at 400fps that doesn’t at 320fps.

I like qad exodus.

Broadheads will almost always fly slower than the same weight field point. The broad heads are bigger and have more wind resistance, which slows them down and typically hit lower than field points.

What ranges are we talking?

I'd check that you aren't getting a downward wind planning effect, which can be tuning or the broadhead is longer and so it changes the arrow's balance point.

I have no difference in impact from 0 to 40 yards. A change in speed of 5 FPS is not enough at those ranges to move the arrow more than a fraction of an inch downward.

I’m opening myself to both praise and ridicule from all camps of the broadhead cult here, but I have shot G5 Montecs for 10 years and they’re not leaving my setup anytime soon. They’re sharp outta the box, they’re very easy to sharpen on a flat stone, they impact within an inch of my field points, and I have never pulled one out of the dirt or a tree trunk that wasn’t immediately re-sharpenable or was dinged up beyond repair. As a matter of fact, the broadheads are the only parts of my arrows that have made it out of the deer completely unscathed. One piece of metal, consistency of construction, weight, sharpness between packages is exemplary, and whatever they hit will get cut.

Back