• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fixed Blade Broadhead

vabwhntr

I have always shot the Rage 3 blade mechanical broadheads with my Mathews Z7 extreme. I have always had good luck with them. Next year a couple of us are going to Idaho on a bow elk hunt and mechanical broadheads are illegal. I want to switch this year so I have a year to practice on whitetails and get ready. What does anyone recommend for a fixed broadhead that would be good on whitetails and elk? A guy I know that goes out west recommended the stingers.

You can't go wrong with Magnus heads like the Stinger. Muzzy makes the Phantom which is an excellent head as well.
Myself, I'd give the nod to the Muzzys due to their longer length to width ratio for better penetration.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with VPAs for several years now. I want to try the iron wills at some point but dang are they expensive.

Magnus, slick trick, and wac'em all make good fixed blades. I did get a free pack of G5 strikers last year, and was very impressed. They're widely available, flew well, and we're re sharpest heads I have ever shot. They'll most likely be my go-to this year.

I’ve been using grizzly single bevel 2 blades the last few years. I like the vpa’s too. I like a all one piece solid head. Single bevel 2 blade makes a wicket wound channel. You wouldn’t think a 2 blade would cut a hole like this!

2b7f1b94bb2f5b5c80512757bcf1632d.jpg

I shoot 2 blade magnus stingers. The non serrated ones in 100grn. I don’t think you can beat them for price and availability. I have shot them into concrete and they are fairly tough as well.

I definitely want to try out the VPA 125 non-vented. What are you using?

https://vparchery.com/product/vpa-3-blade-broadheads-125-grains-non-vented-1-18-width-3-pack/

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

2014 I started using 175 grain non-vented. Zipped through a doe but never got a shot at a buck that year.

2015 switched to the 125 grain vented. 175 just was too much drop at longer distances. Pass through on a bull elk, pass through on a doe. Hit two bucks that year, it was a rough rutcation. One leg shot and I never did figure out but I think it was a backstrap shot. Neither the broadheads fault.

2016-2017 two bucks, three does all double lung passthroughs. Any decent broadhead and arrow should pass through the chest, contrary to what is often shown on Outdoor channel. On a pretty good streak now.

2018 switching to the 125 grain non-vented. They fly the same for me but are much quieter in flight. Vented broadheads have a definite hissing sound.

Not sure what you wanna spend but the Iron Wills are LEGIT. I have two I’m gonna try this year. On the lower price scale I’d look at the single bevel Cutthroat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cant see spending that much on a broadhead. WOW thats expensive. I would need a second and third job. I'm sure they are good but I cant imagine they are that much better than everything else.

I still love me some single bevel Grizzly heads. Those things break bone so easy and if you have a way to sharpen them you can get them hair shaving sharp in about 5 min. Also at 3rivers they are only $ 35 for 3. If you tune your bow well they will group with field points at least out to 50 yds. I'm guessing they will group further, but I havn't tested it beyond that.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/grizzly-screw-in-broadheads.html

https://www.3riversarchery.com/kme-self-aligning-broadhead-sharpening-jig.html

This is the best broadhead sharpener I have ever used. This will work on any broadhead, and it will get them hair shaving sharp in no time. I use the G5 two sided stone and a block of 2X4 I routered out for the stone. It works for single or double bevel.

Don't forget to strop it after your sharpen it. It makes a huge difference.

Iron will is one of the best out there but $$$. Slick Trick and Muzzy are fantastic. QAD exodus. Wac Em's fly great and get the job done - replaceable blades. VPA are bomb proof but not a very forgiving head in terms of arrow flight - my bad shots always seemed to result in a bigger miss than other heads.

If it were me and I wasn't going to use Iron Will - Slick Trick, Muzzy, Wac 'Em. RAD broadheads look to be a promising new design as well.

Really like the Ramcats I used last year. Shot Slick Tricks for a while and still like them, but I like the Ramcats even more. Fly great, great penetration and big holes.

I bought ramcats last year, but never bloodied them. They fly well and look like they should cut a good hole. Anybody that can verify?
Yes I can . I shot a few does with them and the blood trail was unbelievable didn't need it because they went down with in sight of my tree.

Have shot several that I liked: slick trick mags, g5 striker, wasp drone. Going with a single bevel this year in the Kudupoint 125’s. Very impressed with flight. Best fixed flight I’ve ever had.

Back