• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

FL Turkey Help

Jbones91

Hi All
I'm from IL, my in-laws own a place in Ft Myers and we just booked a trip there in April. Was looking on the FWC site, and am thinking about taking a couple of days to turkey hunt Babcock Ranch Preserve as it looks like the closest no-quota hunt option for me.

So, looking for any tips/advice from any FL folks here. Really just looking to know if the area is worth the time, or if I'd be better off looking somewhere further from Ft Myers/ possibly a hog hunt? Thanks in advance!

Hi All
I'm from IL, my in-laws own a place in Ft Myers and we just booked a trip there in April. Was looking on the FWC site, and am thinking about taking a couple of days to turkey hunt Babcock Ranch Preserve as it looks like the closest no-quota hunt option for me.

So, looking for any tips/advice from any FL folks here. Really just looking to know if the area is worth the time, or if I'd be better off looking somewhere further from Ft Myers/ possibly a hog hunt? Thanks in advance!
I'm originally from LaBelle, FL... live in Minnesota now... Babcock is a decent place for birds... it's worth your time... Picayune Strand is also a good place for birds... just off 75 east of Naples. Birds down there don't gobble like Easterns do. Just gotta put some miles on and find some sign.

I live in SE Florida but please double check, because it looks to me that Babcock only has 2 weekends of Turkey and they're both quota.
The following WMAs are the ones you can hunt without quotas that have Osceola's. I don't turkey hunt but Florida WMAs are about the hardest to understand as each one can have much different rules. Big Cypress is likely your only shot! Good luck!

No Quota Permit Hunting
Many WMAs offering spring turkey hunting require a quota permit. The FWC also offers WMAs that do not require a quota permit, and you can find those areas by reviewing the list and map below.
Before heading afield, carefully review the WMA regulations brochure for the area you want to hunt because season dates, bag limits, shooting hours and other rules may vary from statewide seasons and other WMAs. Also, always check the WMA's open/closed status to determine its availability to public access and if there are any road closures or other area updates.

Big Bend WMA - Jena Unit
Big Cypress WMA
Green Swamp WMA
Herky Huffman/Bull Creek WMA
J.W. Corbett WMA
Jumper Creek WMA
Kissimmee Chain of Lakes Area
Kissimmee River Public Use Area
Lake Monroe WMA
Lochloosa WMA
Log Landing WMA
Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge
Raiford WMA
Richloam WMA
Rolling Meadows Unit – Kissimmee Chain of Lakes Area
Santa Fe Swamp Wildlife and Environmental Area
Three Lakes WMA
Upper Hillsborough WMA
Upper St. Johns River Marsh WMA

I live in SE Florida but please double check, because it looks to me that Babcock only has 2 weekends of Turkey and they're both quota.
The following WMAs are the ones you can hunt without quotas that have Osceola's. I don't turkey hunt but Florida WMAs are about the hardest to understand as each one can have much different rules. Big Cypress is likely your only shot! Good luck!

No Quota Permit Hunting
Many WMAs offering spring turkey hunting require a quota permit. The FWC also offers WMAs that do not require a quota permit, and you can find those areas by reviewing the list and map below.
Before heading afield, carefully review the WMA regulations brochure for the area you want to hunt because season dates, bag limits, shooting hours and other rules may vary from statewide seasons and other WMAs. Also, always check the WMA's open/closed status to determine its availability to public access and if there are any road closures or other area updates.

Big Bend WMA - Jena Unit
Big Cypress WMA
Green Swamp WMA
Herky Huffman/Bull Creek WMA
J.W. Corbett WMA
Jumper Creek WMA
Kissimmee Chain of Lakes Area
Kissimmee River Public Use Area
Lake Monroe WMA
Lochloosa WMA
Log Landing WMA
Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge
Raiford WMA
Richloam WMA
Rolling Meadows Unit – Kissimmee Chain of Lakes Area
Santa Fe Swamp Wildlife and Environmental Area
Three Lakes WMA
Upper Hillsborough WMA
Upper St. Johns River Marsh WMA

Sorry for the late response, but appreciate the info! I did look into Babcock a bit more and see you're correct on it being a permit area so thanks for that! As for Big Cypress, I see that's only an hour from where we stay, just curious if you know how hunting typically is there? Thanks again!

big cypress can vary a lot... can be some decent turkey hunting but it all depends on whaf the years been like... if its been wet, there could be 6" of water in 80 percent of the area... if you know where the high points are, you can be in the money... if its been a dryer year... birds have TONS of options on where they could be... and depending where u are in big cypress you could be on some tough walking...

Lochloosa WMA has had a lot of logging the past few years and the hurricane a few years ago nailed the turkey population. I used to see alot of turkey, now not so much.

Back