• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fleece saddle question

Gobblergetter23

AC37D204-54B4-47AB-A9A5-279F2CC70DEB.jpegI haven’t quite figured out the right width and length of my fleece saddle yet but I made two continuous spliced pieces of amsteel and I am using the hammock knot to give me two loops to tie a bridge too. My question is which way does the fleece need to stretch more? I want to thank Greg and David for all of their videos too.

I think the stretch should go front to back as you sit in it not left to right, the last 2 I made I cut the wrong way and they work fine, just end up sagging down a bunch and have to adjust ur tether prusik, not a big deal, still comfortable, although I need to make another one the right way and see if it's more comfortable.

I took the plunge and made a fleece saddle late last night on a whim and finished it at 11pm then hunted out of it this morning. Got my first saddle kill to boot! This one is double layer of fleece that is 38" wide with stretch oriented front to back. I spliced 1/4" amsteel for a 28" bridge. I used a speedy stitcher to sew the folds to hold the paracord to make the mushrooms on the ends. This was super comfortable and have decided not to buy an aero hunter or tethrd since this meets my needs in conjunction with an rch.
81af55db310a4ce6fca85359df85908f.jpg
7a1c8ef3790b987ae97490c7042a357b.jpg
5ce7d0fcb0c3d72ef22c3af921f655bd.jpg
a8048ddb976a3131f4f98991a640d066.jpg
562ed1db55dfb7a16cc1593da5c3b961.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I took the plunge and made a fleece saddle late last night on a whim and finished it at 11pm then hunted out of it this morning. Got my first saddle kill to boot! This one is double layer of fleece that is 38" wide with stretch oriented front to back. I spliced 1/4" amsteel for a 28" bridge. I used a speedy stitcher to sew the folds to hold the paracord to make the mushrooms on the ends. This was super comfortable and have decided not to buy an aero hunter or tethrd since this meets my needs in conjunction with an rch.
81af55db310a4ce6fca85359df85908f.jpg
7a1c8ef3790b987ae97490c7042a357b.jpg
5ce7d0fcb0c3d72ef22c3af921f655bd.jpg
a8048ddb976a3131f4f98991a640d066.jpg
562ed1db55dfb7a16cc1593da5c3b961.jpg

Did you shoot that deer in the face? Sorry for the off topic. Congrats on the kill!

It was a very close, almost straight down shot with buckshot to the head. Hunting in an urban area and didn't want to take a rifle there.

I prefer a side to side stretch, not front to back. I find it way more comfy.
Will make another and try that orientation. I think I tried it this summer, but didn't do the hammock loops, so it kept pulling through the bridge loops and I gave up. Cannot slip if I do those too.

I prefer a side to side stretch, not front to back. I find it way more comfy.
I was gonna make one the other way to try, haven't had a chance yet, but they are comfy. I just finished a back band the other day that I'm excited to try.
094e5982e21c956a2c5ef94d87dfbb4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What knot do you guys use? I am using a simple girth hitch on the end of the bunched fleece. What's the best attachment method?

I made 10" loops on each side of the amsteel bridge. You can go much smaller, didn't need them quite so big. I just use a simple girth hitch on each side and it locks down tight. I just made a second saddle tonite with the stretch side to side to compare to the other. I did make it 2x deeper front to back than the wide to side measurement since it will tighten up as it stretches under weight and wanted to have enough for under my legs and up my back.

What knot do you guys use? I am using a simple girth hitch on the end of the bunched fleece. What's the best attachment method?
I had a problem with the girth hitch loosening more than I am comfortable with. I used the technique from this YouTube video. I think that he called it a double girth hitch.

My loops are a little bit longer than I needed on my amsteel bridge. I used a figure 8 retrace for the knot on that.
987c854842fb93a3afdec4190a144a5a.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The 3/16" amsteel kills me. lol First time I let go up high on 1/4" I thought I was crazy. lol Ill have to look into 3/16 and try one of these fleece saddles. My only concern is I sometimes unload my saddle to turn as Im really a stander using the saddle to keep me from falling on leaning shots. My current diy saddle has a belt to keep it somewhat in place. Any concerns with this fleece slipping/moving if you unload the tether?

I tried the "double girth" from that video and must not have tightened it down enough first because it slipped off. Luckily I had my rock harness set so I only dropped about three inches...scared the crap out of me though....I tried just the standard girth hitch and didn't have an issue with slippage but if there is a better way, I'm all for it. Do you think tying Paracord tightly around the bunched end would help give the girth hitch more to bite down on?

I think the issue with knot in the video is it doesn't slip freely. You will have to really work it to ensure its synched tight before adding weight.

The 3/16" amsteel kills me. lol First time I let go up high on 1/4" I thought I was crazy. lol Ill have to look into 3/16 and try one of these fleece saddles. My only concern is I sometimes unload my saddle to turn as Im really a stander using the saddle to keep me from falling on leaning shots. My current diy saddle has a belt to keep it somewhat in place. Any concerns with this fleece slipping/moving if you unload the tether?

That's one downside to the fleece saddle. You have to spend some time spreading it out across your butt, legs and back. If you stand up it moves and you have to spend time again spreading it back out to get comfortable. Weaeing fleece/wool clothing as an outerlayer makes it a little more difficult as the fleece saddle tends to 'stick' to them doesn't want to spread out easy. Once it is spread out it can't be beat for comfortability in my opinion though.

I used a "hammock knot" just search it once i figure out my size I will sew in a strap to keep it tight on my waist and double up the fabric right now at ground level I just have a single layer

Back