• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fleece Saddle users

Peterk1234

I have been reading through the various fleece saddle threads. Those of you who have been using them for a while, what would you do to make the ultimate fleece saddle?

For example, would you make it a double layered with opposing stretch to limit stretch? Channels in the end? Maybe reinforce the channels with some 10D nylon for added strength? Width and length? Would you sew in a belt and buckle to help keep it in place for when you shift around in it?

What are the negatives of a fleece saddle? I have a homemade sitdrag that is just awesome. I am curious if I can top the versatility of my sitdrag.

Thanks

Pete

Figuring out a way to keep it down on the legs would be key! The adjustment I find I'm doing most is standing up and pulling the bottom farther down, it wants to keep sliding up towards my butt through the hunt. Maybe some way to attach it to the leg straps of my RC harness...

Figuring out a way to keep it down on the legs would be key! The adjustment I find I'm doing most is standing up and pulling the bottom farther down, it wants to keep sliding up towards my butt through the hunt. Maybe some way to attach it to the leg straps of my RC harness...

Lower your tether

See you in a tree, Ricky

I have been reading through the various fleece saddle threads. Those of you who have been using them for a while, what would you do to make the ultimate fleece saddle?

For example, would you make it a double layered with opposing stretch to limit stretch? Channels in the end? Maybe reinforce the channels with some 10D nylon for added strength? Width and length? Would you sew in a belt and buckle to help keep it in place for when you shift around in it?

What are the negatives of a fleece saddle? I have a homemade sitdrag that is just awesome. I am curious if I can top the versatility of my sitdrag.

Thanks

Pete

I think the stretch is what makes it comfortable. I use mine like a hammock with no attachments to the saddle itself.
Hard to beat a sitdrag! Lol

See you in a tree, Ricky

I get a little ride up but not near as much as a mantis. The only real issue I have is that it packs up larger than a sitdrag, not by much though. I use the no sew method and it would be nice to remove the bundles on each side.

I’m sure there are some advancements that can be made and I’m also glad you’re on the case.

Sit down in it more.

I tried putting my fleece saddle under my rock climbing harness to see if that would be more comfortable and keep everything in place or not. It did seem pretty comfortable, but fleece is a little bit slippery, and my rock climbing harnesses wanted to keep sliding down a little bit, so I had to pay attention to that. Otherwise more back yard testing is needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I make mine out of a 46” x 30” piece, 42” on the upper edge. Sewn channels with paracord to gather the ends. I also see a small tab of webbing on the top edge so I don’t put it on upside down in the dark. 7/64” amsteel bridge and a wraith underneath. I make the bridge on the wraith just long enough that when they are both hooked through the same carabiner the weight is all in the fleece but would only drop less than an inch if the fleece failed.

I tried my fleece saddle for the first time today. It worked OK but the RCH (rock climbing harness) was uncomfortable for "the boys" at times. I don't like having 2 separate pieces and I had hip pinch similar to my sit drag when I transferred all the weight onto the fleece saddle. I kept watching the girth hitched fleece ends to see if they were getting smaller and they did not. I think I am going back to my DIY sit drag. Hip pinch is manageable but additional pains are just more things to think about.

So in the meantime I am testing what it is like to sew this stuff. Making up a bunch of gun socks. Very easy to work with. Did I ever tell you guys that buying a sewing machine was one of the best purchases of my life? :)

View attachment 20094

I made a light weight sleeping bag/liner that ended up becoming my crossbow bag. I would then use it in the blind to stay warm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Pete
Awesome post! I am still looking for the right thread injector, but if I had one, this would be project #1. You could incorporate rated webbing on the outside of the fleece to create built in safety, just like a std saddle, but leave "molle" loops in it to allow the fleece to stretch and expand without your weight ending up directly on the webbing you would be in the $ spot. This loop could also be sewn in to be the bridge loops like a std saddle. Then add a belt with a cobra buckle, and linesman loops. No rch or Wraith needed! Leg loops could be added, but would not be needed with the belt.

I tried my fleece saddle for the first time today. It worked OK but the RCH (rock climbing harness) was uncomfortable for "the boys" at times. I don't like having 2 separate pieces and I had hip pinch similar to my sit drag when I transferred all the weight onto the fleece saddle. I kept watching the girth hitched fleece ends to see if they were getting smaller and they did not. I think I am going back to my DIY sit drag. Hip pinch is manageable but additional pains are just more things to think about.

If you have hip pinching a fleece saddle you either have to make the fleece wider or spend more time in the tree.

If you have hip pinching a fleece saddle you either have to make the fleece wider or spend more time in the tree.
I am using a 36" square piece of fleece folded in half with the ends girth hitched to a 24" sling.

Back