• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fleece Sit Drag?

243SuperRC

Not sure what to call this, I am a newbie. The seat pattern is a skinny football shape without the sharp pointed ends. Sewed two layers of fleece together. Added 2" nylon webbing. It is approximately 35" x 13". Seems to be comfortable. Plan on using with RCH. May add a belt strap on the inside.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 163
I bought a yard of fleece a few weeks ago to try something like this. I also added 10 feet of 2 inch webbing on my recent REI order and found it was seat belt webbing. Is 10 feet of belt enough to go around and sew the ends together? I added this belt from Lowes for $5.48 to my sitdrag and tied the ends together with a 22kN climbing sling since the plastic buckle might not survive a fall. The belt is incredibly stiff with many negative reviews due to stiffness only but it looks to me to be strong enough to hold multiple people.

Not sure what to call this, I am a newbie. The seat pattern is a skinny football shape without the sharp pointed ends. Sewed two layers of fleece together. Added 2" nylon webbing. It is approximately 35" x 13". Seems to be comfortable. Plan on using with RCH. May add a belt strap on the inside.
what rope are you using for your bridge?

I ordered 12 mm and 8mm climbing rope from amazon. 12mm for my tether and 8mm for my bridge and prusik/carabiner attachment to tether.

looks good. since you are using a RCH you may want to sew another one so that you don't have webbing going behind you, just sewn to the ends. It'll be a bunch more comfortable because you won't have the webbing digging in.

Yeah fleece saddles are very comfy but like was stated earlier since your using a rch there’s no need for the webbing or even sewing for that matter. There’s a thread on here (ultralight fleece saddle or something) with a very good video showing how it’s done. For 15-20$ and 15-20 minutes of fab you can make 3 or 4 fleece saddles. Very comfy, vey lite, very packable. There’s always one stuffed in my pack even when the plan is to use something else. Found the thread. DaveT1963 made the video. Page 9of the thread. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-ultralight-saddle.2358/page-9

Yeah fleece saddles are very comfy but like was stated earlier since your using a rch there’s no need for the webbing or even sewing for that matter. There’s a thread on here (ultralight fleece saddle or something) with a very good video showing how it’s done. For 15-20$ and 15-20 minutes of fab you can make 3 or 4 fleece saddles. Very comfy, vey lite, very packable. There’s always one stuffed in my pack even when the plan is to use something else. Found the thread. DaveT1963 made the video. Page 9of the thread. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-ultralight-saddle.2358/page-9

My first attempt was a fleece saddle made from a $4.99 fleece blanket that I cut in halves. I put a piece foam pad between the 2 layers to help with transition from RCH to saddle. The foam eliminated using both hand to spread out fleece saddle. The piece of foam doesn't make it as packable. The saddle is very comfortable.
I was reading about the many sewing projects on this website and decided to make the fleece sit drag out of the other half of the fleece blanket. My wife's great grandmother's Singer 66-18 sewing machine had been stored in our garage forever, so i pulled it out, cleaned it inside and out, and oiled it up. Bought thread, needles, and learned all I could on-line about sewing. There is a lot to getting a good thread pattern, especially when you go to heavier thread (bobbin tension issues). YouTube has some good tutorials on using these old machines.
My first two projects were the fleece sit drag and a DIY RCH. I had bought a RCH from amazon, but it has padding around the back and legs that make it a little bulky. The DIY RCH was an attempt to make a lighter and more packable harness. I made the DIY RCH from several deer stand safety harnesses (reason for the multi-colors). The DIY RCH definitely isn't as comfortable as the store brand. I may stick to the store brand.

Attachments

• fleece_saddle.jpg
    fleece_saddle.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 86
  • fleece_RCH_001.jpg
    fleece_RCH_001.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 88
Might should have left well enough alone. I have been spending too much time on saddlehunter.com. Decided to make my fleece sit drag into a stand alone saddle. I added a waist belt, leg straps, and changed my bridge rope to 1" tubular webbing (24").

LOL!!! Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back