• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Florida quotas....discussion and results

Just moved here permanently... What does this mean (sorry I'm an idiot!!)
If u want to hunt public land most (not all...gotta read each individual wma info brochure) Wma require a quota permit. A quota permit is a lottery you go to https://gooutdoorsflorida.com/ to sign up for the hunts you'd like. Research your surroundings wma and then decide which youd like to sign up for. Log in the the website and go to "sign up for limited entry/quota hunt. 5 choices for each respective season....5 archery, 5 muzzleloader, etc. You will recieve and email if u get something. Next month will be phase 2 which will just be the hunts to no one was drawn for, and the following month will be phase 3 with whatevers left.... it is good practice to periodically check into the gooutdoorsflorida website to check ....people will relinquish the quotas they recieved sometimes and they will be available to apply for again.

@Islandshooter message me if you have other questions

Last edited:
If u want to hunt public land most (not all...gotta read each individual wma info brochure) Wma require a quota permit. A quota permit is a lottery you go to https://gooutdoorsflorida.com/ to sign up for the hunts you'd like. Research your surroundings wma and then decide which youd like to sign up for. Log in the the website and go to "sign up for limited entry/quota hunt. 3 choices for each respective season....3 archery, 3 muzzleloader, etc. You will recieve and email if u get something. Next month will be phase 2 which will just be the hunts to no one was drawn for, and the following month will be phase 3 with whatevers left.... it is good practice to periodically check into the gooutdoorsflorida website to check ....people will relinquish the quotas they recieved sometimes and they will be available to apply for again.

@Islandshooter message me if you have other questions
Thanks! Appreciate your help!

I have enough archery points to put in for a zone c hunt I want to do, but they moved the hunts back a couple weeks which interferes with parents weekend for FSU.....my daughter is a freshman up there this fall! Also starts to get close to my zone d fav hunts. Glad in one way to maybe get some cooler weather though, at least low 80's...lol

How did you do? Picked up a possible gem archery hunt in Zone C, and a muzzle and 1st gun on a great property in far western Zone D.

First archery weekend in Guana river and a hog hunt in Jennings forest June next year.....hopefully phase 2 i can luck out and draw a muzzleloader quota

Not the best luck this year....gotta reach into the bag o tricks to hopefully get it done

Ever heard of Silver Springs Forest? 4K acres of SJRWMD land, just NE of Silver Springs, was a small game area only last year or 2. First year as a full WMA. Got my attention with a really long archery hunt 9/26 to 10/11 and only 20 permits w/ no exempts. Was an old Rayonier property. Will be up that way in July to walk it a bit!

We camp at silver springs usually every year....I never heard of the 1 u talking about. I apply for the wma that are an hour or less drive mostly. Our family is expanding right in the middle of gun season this year so won't be able to dedicate as much time in the woods this year....next year gunning for a St. Vincent island trip hopefully

@Islandshooter ....I forgot to mention above...keep checking the website and if there is any hunt to apply to, go ahead and apply, even if it is 1 u cant go on. If u get the draw, turn it back in and u will get a preference point. Not exactly sure how they increase your odds but supposedly the points increase your odds for next years draw and u are have a better chance of getting the draw u want.

Maybe that info above isn't accurate....I turned a hunt back in and didnt increase the preference point.....ooppps for some reason I thought it did

Maybe that info above isn't accurate....I turned a hunt back in and didnt increase the preference point.....ooppps for some reason I thought it did
It absolutely should....it might not show up immediately but if it doesn't sow up by a few weeks I'd email FWC!

just scanning forestry maps and they are burning 77 acres at guana today. Looks like an hardwoods surrounded by flatwoods..Annotation 2020-07-02 171226.jpg

Guana is a tough 1 to read on the aerial photos... I know exactly that spot and is a small swamp.. cypress bay and pine mostly...the brown area is all palmetto, gall berry, Thick. That will be a good spot after its burned . U got a hunt in there?

The green ovals to the south are food plots that get hammered

Back