• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

FMJ Arrows & Penetration

Silvio

Well a couple of years ago I lost a really nice buck on a shoulder hit. I decided to try out the FMJ's this season and couldn't believe the performance these arrows demonstrated. They are a aluminum carbon core arrow @10.2 grains per inch. I shot my buck last Thursday in Iowa and it was a quartering away shot that blew thru his opposite shoulder bone completely. I only shoot 60lbs and for me this is the arrow performance I've always desired. I'm still fascinated that it blew the shoulder apart. The broadhead I was using was a Sevr and again really astonished at the performance of a mechanical broadhead. Just thought about sharing a positive for you guys out there looking to try FMJ's - they are a bit slower but have greater penetration
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life20191108_071754.jpg

Last edited:
I switched to the axis because of the fmj’s bending. The fmj’s are better in every way except durability. I think the main advantage in penetration is the diameter of these arrows.

I switched to the axis because of the fmj’s bending. The fmj’s are better in every way except durability. I think the main advantage in penetration is the diameter of these arrows.
Diameter means little when theres a broadhead cutting a hole bigger than any arrow shaft. Arrow weight is the the biggest factor.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Congrats on a nice buck.

Ethics Archery inserts for me - I shot FMJ’s for a few years and got tired of bent arrows after one shot on a deer. Made the switch back to standard carbon, and two things happened - no bent arrows, and my arrows started behaving better/tuning easier for me with more Weight FOC. You can cut the back of the inserts to adjust for desired total arrow weight and FOC.

There is not a field test to prove it, but consistently in targets the standard carbon arrow with 225 total grains up front out penetrates fmj’s of same total arrow weight with weight distributed more evenly through the arrow.

I have noticed equal performance on game(again, the situations are too dynamic to prove anything), but penetration does not suffer. I suspect it is improved over an FMJ of the same weight due to the FOC, but can’t prove it.

Any light arrow setups < FMJ’s < carbon shaft of choice/ethics heavy inserts - for me anyway.

There is little argument that for shooting whitetails 30 yards or so and in, that a heavier arrow has anything but upside.

The proof is in the OP’s pudding!

Here’s some more for ya -

FB372CED-D4F0-49B2-92C9-5BEF1FF14999.jpeg

Arrow broke through shoulder, clipped top of heart, both lungs, liver, stomach, and exited at last rib on off side. 510 grain, 225 grains up front(exodus 125/ ethics 100 grain).

Last edited:
Heavy arrows do penetrate much better. I shoot 60 lbs also. I recommend that you try an Easton axis with the 75 grain brass Easton HIT inserts. You can use whatever broadhead you choose. This will give you a 450-500 grain arrow with a 100 grain broadhead. But what makes it better is that most of the weight is up front “FOC” front of center. This makes the arrow fly better and penetrate better. If you want more weight get a heavier broadhead. The more foc the better it flies and penetrates. I run a lightweight arrow with a lot of foc. If you really wanna get some unbelievable penetration put a fixed blade or single bevel broadhead on it. People have shot elk in the chest and the arrow went all the way through the elk longways breaking the elks hip bone upon exit. That much penetration is not needed for deer but it’s nice to know your capable. The main reason I worry about foc is because I get much better arrow flight.

I'll sacrifice an arrow breaking or bending for superior penetration. Just like in golf you may loose a ball or two...

But you can have as good, and likely better penetration, while adding better arrow flight, more arrow selection, and more durable setups.

Not pooping on your parade- just letting you know there’s a great option further down the path you’re walking! I walked it.

I'll sacrifice an arrow breaking or bending for superior penetration.
You don’t have to sacrifice anything. You can run an axis with 75 grain insert and get better penetration because of the higher foc. An the arrows don’t bend. So you get beat of both worlds. A fmj is heavy but it’s spread out an axis with insert is same weight but all at the front. Same penetration, better flight, no bending.

You don’t have to sacrifice anything. You can run an axis with 75 grain insert and get better penetration because of the higher foc. An the arrows don’t bend. So you get beat of both worlds. A fmj is heavy but it’s spread out an axis with insert is same weight but all at the front. Same penetration, better flight, no bending.

This is my exact setup. It is considerably heavier than my FMJ arrows and heavier in the right spot! That was the other reason I went to axis was for higher FOC.

Diameter means little when theres a broadhead cutting a hole bigger than any arrow shaft. Arrow weight is the the biggest factor.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Obviously weight is more important for penetration. That is easy to manipulate With any setup.

All valid points. Don’t forget confidence. Shoot what you have confidence in. If you don’t care about losing an arrow every now and then, go for it! Arrows are like bullets to me. It just needs to get the job done when I shoot it. I don’t care if it’s gone unless it’s my last one! Lol

FOC is overrated. Never had a bent FMJ unless a deer fell on the arrow.

I have 2 setups depending on need.

Hexx with 75 grain inserts 100gr heads

heavy FMJ with 75 grain inserts and 100gr heads

FOC is overrated. Never had a bent FMJ unless a deer fell on the arrow.

I have 2 setups depending on need.

Hexx with 75 grain inserts 100gr heads

heavy FMJ with 75 grain inserts and 100gr heads

That’s one way of looking at FOC. But, what’s the downside? I guess that’s the point we all are seeming to make here.

It used to be hard to get components that give you as efficient of an arrow as possible. Now you can build a ten dollar arrow with the weight you want, and all the tuning, flight, penetration advantages of the increased FOC, with a couple clicks of a button.

I get the ‘it’s a whitetail, anything will work’ mentality. But why not check a couple more boxes, with hardly any effort, for just more upside?

Or don’t, but it does seem silly to argue the flip side. There’s not much reason not to do it other than ‘most times it doesn’t matter’...until it does.

This is my exact setup. It is considerably heavier than my FMJ arrows and heavier in the right spot! That was the other reason I went to axis was for higher foc.

If you like the axis and higher foc. Check out the new gold tip air strike. It’s lighter and tougher. So you can get more foc at the same overall weight. An it’s nearly indestructible.

I feel like my FMJ’s with ST Mag 125’s can blow through anything. Total arrow weight is just over 500 grains and I’m pulling 68 lbs. They hit like a Mack truck...

Shot a buck last year heavily quartered towards me at 20 yards. Arrow entered the crease behind his shoulder perfectly, ran through his entire body, exited out right in front of his rear haunch and stuck in the ground on the opposite side.

Never had any bending issues personally and I see no need to switch away from the FMJ - love em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back