• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Food in the stand

Nfields1154

I’ve listened to a lot of John Eberhart and other podcasts talking about scentlok and scent control but I haven’t heard anyone talk about what they do for food when they are doin all day sits and still trying to practice scent control. Any thoughts or views?

I got to the point last year where I ate breakfast before I left in the morning, skipped lunch, and ate a big dinner in the evening. Less to carry, and no way to make noise or odor.

If I did carry something, I pulled a leaf from John's book and carried a thing of ensure.
I’m not capable of going 14-15 hours without food lol and if I eat a big meal before going in the woods I’ll be needing a major bathroom break by 10am lol

I’m till doing Keto so not sure what I will do. In the past I ate apples, peanut butter crackers etc that would be as likely to bring them in as run them off. I’ve been making a smoothie with cocoa, peanut butter, almond milk, and stevia I may carry them with a little vanilla added as an attractant.

I’m till doing Keto so not sure what I will do. In the past I ate apples, peanut butter crackers etc that would be as likely to bring them in as run them off. I’ve been making a smoothie with cocoa, peanut butter, almond milk, and stevia I may carry them with a little vanilla added as an attractant.
I did the keto diet for 2 months, couldn’t take it any longer lol

I’m not capable of going 14-15 hours without food lol and if I eat a big meal before going in the woods I’ll be needing a major bathroom break by 10am lol
Your profile says you're 25. Barring a medical condition, you're perfectly capable of going without food for a day. In fact, doing so periodically is arguably good for you.

If you're worried about the scent and noise of eating in stand and don't want to fast, it's really hard to beat a thing of ensure. I pop the seal before I put it in my bag. That way all you have to do is open it and drink. Minimum of odor since the bottle is airtight. No noise. It's not gourmet, but it's calories if you need them.

I've also carried cheese sticks and they work well. Minimum of garbage, high in fat and protein, tasty, and quiet to eat. No real smell to them.

Fasting is just the easy solution to me.

Im still Keto also, with intermittent fasting. I dont eat in the morning till 11:30 or 12. So simple meat and cheese sticks work well for lunch and hold me off till dinner. worked great all last season

For sits of 3 hours or less I take only water longer than 3 hours trail mix , hard boiled eggs all ready peeled and in a ziplock bag. Never really had a issue with spooking deer from food odors. Movement is the best way to get busted hard to remain motionless for extended periods.

Your profile says you're 25. Barring a medical condition, you're perfectly capable of going without food for a day. In fact, doing so periodically is arguably good for you.

If you're worried about the scent and noise of eating in stand and don't want to fast, it's really hard to beat a thing of ensure. I pop the seal before I put it in my bag. That way all you have to do is open it and drink. Minimum of odor since the bottle is airtight. No noise. It's not gourmet, but it's calories if you need them.

I've also carried cheese sticks and they work well. Minimum of garbage, high in fat and protein, tasty, and quiet to eat. No real smell to them.

Fasting is just the easy solution to me.
Correct, I’m capable of fasting that long, it’s just not personally something I will do, especially when I’m hiking 2-3 miles back on public land. If I go that long without anything to eat my head will be pounding by the end of the day and that’s just not enjoyable to me. I’ll give the ensure and cheese sticks a try!

If you are a caffeine junkie like most of us you may want to plan for that. I don’t have to eat when hunting all day but do feel more focused when I have a snack.

If you are a caffeine junkie like most of us you may want to plan for that. I don’t have to eat when hunting all day but do feel more focused when I have a snack.
Caffeine free since around Lent. I've had maybe 3 caffeinated beverages since March. If you ever "get clean" and then have a redbull you'll wonder how the heck that stuff isn't federally regulated.

As far as focus, I actually deem more focused when I'm a little hungry. This article discusses an interesting study done that demonstrated mice (and likely humans) performed better at problem solving and focus related tasks when hungry.

I usually don't eat on stand. I am fat but for some reason I can go long periods of time with out eating and not care but if I am near food I will eat it till its gone. I usually will bring a bottle of water and that will work for me. You will be amazed how easy it is not eat if you don't have food with. When I bring snakes during turkey season I eat them all before 11 so what is the point of bringing them.

I got to the point last year where I ate breakfast before I left in the morning, skipped lunch, and ate a big dinner in the evening. Less to carry, and no way to make noise or odor.

If I did carry something, I pulled a leaf from John's book and carried a thing of ensure.
Thats almost what I do, too. Except that I take a couple apples. I put a little natural food in my belly and apples are a great breath deodorizer, too. I kill 2 birds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I use to take water and food with into the stand. Once November comes around in Wisconsin, it is more likely to freeze by the time I get hungry or thirsty. I just eat before going out and drink a few water bottles before going out as well. I do the same thing after hunting as well.

I guess a could carry a cooler with to try and minimize the freezing but it is just another thing to pack.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back