• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Foot placement when shooting

DE bow hunter

Hi all,

New to saddle hunting. Went out and shot my first bunch of arrows from the predator platform today. I think it will take a bit of getting used to, but I’m really liking the ability to move slowly without any jerky movements just by pivoting on the bridge. Also like the ability to stay hidden behind the tree while I draw.
One of the things I could use some help with is foot placement when shooting. I’m right handed and I had the target in line with the tree. So when I was behind the tree I couldn’t see it. To shoot with the quiver on my bow I had to lean out to the strong side a good bit in order to clear the tree to shoot. Curious where/ how you would stand? I found bending my left knee and bracing myself against the tree worked best. I don’t have knee pads (yet) and after a couple shots my knee started to get sore. Also thought maybe there was a way to do it with less movement.

Thanks for any advice.

Knee pads will make a big difference.
And I have one step on the strap of my Predators.
I locate it about 10 inches off the platform on my strong side. On my weak side, I have the top step of my climbing system. Having a step on each side is huge for my shooting accuracy.

what kind of step do you use?

I just bought 2 aluminium squirrel steps with open slots to slide on 1" strap from eastern woods outdoors. Used them last night for the first time on my ridge runner. Very helpful to get around tree for weak side. Tricky part for me was trying to lengthen tether easily with bow in hand so I could get to the 2 o'clock shot! Trying to take weight off tether so I could loosen to be specific.

Also platform got slightly cocked when i jumped on both steps! Guess I need to get strap tighter?
df062a5f5efe4e2a62bf2f059a207bd4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One of the benefits of a saddle that I have seen is that you can really lean into the shot with your whole body so that you maintain good form instead of bending at the waist like from a tree stand. I consciously tell myself to do this as I know I shoot more accurately. My point is, don’t be afraid to set your feet and really lean out away from the tree and toward your target - trust your saddle to hold your weight. You’ll shoot better.

I just bought 2 aluminium squirrel steps with open slots to slide on 1" strap from eastern woods outdoors. Used them last night for the first time on my ridge runner. Very helpful to get around tree for weak side. Tricky part for me was trying to lengthen tether easily with bow in hand so I could get to the 2 o'clock shot! Trying to take weight off tether so I could loosen to be specific.

Also platform got slightly cocked when i jumped on both steps! Guess I need to get strap tighter?
df062a5f5efe4e2a62bf2f059a207bd4.jpg

Thats another reason why I only put 1 step on my strap. When you transfer all your weight to the 2 steps on the strap, it can cause the stand to slightly unseat. Sometimes is difficult to get the stand back into a nice tight set after you've putt all your weight on one side of the strap. I'm not crazy about wrapping up the stand with multiple steps on the straps either. One step on the strap is a nice compromise for me.

Thanks for the tip Tom!

If you put one step on the strap. How many inches do you go from the platform to maximize the weak side shot opportunity? I'm sure tree size matters too.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the tip Tom!

If you put one step on the strap. How many inches do you go from the platform to maximize the weak side shot opportunity? I'm sure tree size matters too.

Thanks for the advice!

I actually like it fairly close to the platform because its also nice to have another spot to put my foot during a long hang. After a while, its nice to change foot position a little. I like to have the step on the strap, and the top climbing step positioned so I can reach it with my toe while my heel is still on the platform...basically a boot length away. It really aids in all day comfort.

I am a advocate for the ROS regardless of the platform type.
With the ROS using at least 4 steps, sometimes 5-6 depending on tree size you will not be limited in your shot options, you will be able to shoot 360
Using the ROS will let you get around the tree comfortably and quietly.
Sometimes you will need to be in a less than optimum position for longer than you anticipated.

I am a advocate for the ROS regardless of the platform type.
With the ROS using at least 4 steps, sometimes 5-6 depending on tree size you will not be limited in your shot options, you will be able to shoot 360
Using the ROS will let you get around the tree comfortably and quietly.
Sometimes you will need to be in a less than optimum position for longer than you anticipated.
I can completely understand adding a separate ROS in addition to the platform. Its probably better than adding multiple steps to the dedicated platform strap.
But a separate ROS is another piece of gear to deal with.
And the fact that the hunter can need to be off the platform in an odd position for extended periods cannot be over stated. Dont plan to be on a comfy platform for the entire day.

Thats another reason why I only put 1 step on my strap. When you transfer all your weight to the 2 steps on the strap, it can cause the stand to slightly unseat. Sometimes is difficult to get the stand back into a nice tight set after you've putt all your weight on one side of the strap. I'm not crazy about wrapping up the stand with multiple steps on the straps either. One step on the strap is a nice compromise for me.
That makes sense. I just received 2 squirrel steps that I was going to put on my strong side with the top of my stick on the weak side. Tonight I think I'm going to put one step on the weak side, the top of my stick on the strong side and the second step beyond the top of my stick so I can get further around the strong side w/o dislodging my platform.

Hi all,

New to saddle hunting. Went out and shot my first bunch of arrows from the predator platform today. I think it will take a bit of getting used to, but I’m really liking the ability to move slowly without any jerky movements just by pivoting on the bridge. Also like the ability to stay hidden behind the tree while I draw.
One of the things I could use some help with is foot placement when shooting. I’m right handed and I had the target in line with the tree. So when I was behind the tree I couldn’t see it. To shoot with the quiver on my bow I had to lean out to the strong side a good bit in order to clear the tree to shoot. Curious where/ how you would stand? I found bending my left knee and bracing myself against the tree worked best. I don’t have knee pads (yet) and after a couple shots my knee started to get sore. Also thought maybe there was a way to do it with less movement.

Thanks for any advice.
tree pic.jpeg
This pic might help you. This is how I set up, I mostly prefer wider trees so I can hide behind them, I have four squirrel steps placed about 4 1/2" above my platform, this allows me 360 Degrees of shooting and also allows me to go all around the tree if needed.

Reactions: POC
I actually like it fairly close to the platform because its also nice to have another spot to put my foot during a long hang. After a while, its nice to change foot position a little. I like to have the step on the strap, and the top climbing step positioned so I can reach it with my toe while my heel is still on the platform...basically a boot length away. It really aids in all day comfort.

I’m worried about creating noise with the squirrel step banging against the platform, carrying in another piece of equipment, taking more time to set up, the strap/platform not going back to its original set, etc. I’ve been lining up the top of my climbing stick to my left so I can rest my foot somewhere else and I use it as a step to get around the tree for the weak side shot. It seems to be helping in comfort and confidence.

I’m worried about creating noise with the squirrel step banging against the platform, carrying in another piece of equipment, taking more time to set up, the strap/platform not going back to its original set, etc. I’ve been lining up the top of my climbing stick to my left so I can rest my foot somewhere else and I use it as a step to get around the tree for the weak side shot. It seems to be helping in comfort and confidence.
Just one step on the platform doesnt cause any problems. Get a system of dealing with it and it works fine. Guaranteed not to rattle while walking and the step will stay where you want it on the strap. I will get some pics.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: VFL

1st point...wrap the strap in this direction and the metal buckle won't make contact with the platform.
The step nests in beside the post and faces the same way as the stand-offs which makes the other side of the platform flat with no protrusions for packing.
The black strap is a Lone Wolf strap and that's how I carry it. Just sling it over my shoulder. no need to stow it in a pack...less details to mess with.
e5ad48d6b3a76d79082ddc3c888656af.jpg

Always add a loop of shock cord to the ends of straps (the dark colored cord in this pic, not the orange cord).
Shock cord on straps makes the wrap-up fast and neat with no dangling tag ends. The best part of this rig is the shock cord (the dark colored cord in the pic) gets wrapped around the step so it holds it snug...no rattling.
a10af4572fd1c68b85e98e06b28ac8e8.jpg

Last point...add another loop of shock cord to the strap and step like this. Use a zip tie and the shock cord loop will be adjustable. Pull it tight and that step will not move on the strap, but leave the cord a little less tight and it will slide on the strap to fine tune the position on the strap. I like to adjust it snug enough that I can slide it with a little force. Not too tight, not too loose.
This system works well with one step on the strap. I think multiple steps would complicate the carry/packing but I have not experimented with multi steps so it could work out okay. Minor point, I like the bright colored cord on the steps so it's easier to see in low light. Dark steps, dark tree, dark strap can disappear in low light. The brighter color is just a little bit more visual.
2bb2bf1f86a6e7ed2efc6619c0e39101.jpg

Last edited:
1st point...wrap the strap in this direction and the metal buckle won't make contact with the platform.
The step nests in beside the post and faces the same way as the stand-offs which makes the other side of the platform flat with no protrusions for packing.
The black strap is a Lone Wolf strap and that's how I carry it. Just sling it over my shoulder. no need to stow it in a pack...less details to mess with.
e5ad48d6b3a76d79082ddc3c888656af.jpg

Always add a loop of shock cord to the ends of straps (the dark colored cord in this pic, not the orange cord).
Shock cord on straps makes the wrap-up fast and neat with no dangling tag ends. The best part of this rig is the shock cord (the dark colored cord in the pic) gets wrapped around the step so it holds it snug...no rattling.
a10af4572fd1c68b85e98e06b28ac8e8.jpg

Last point...add another loop of shock cord to the strap and step like this. Use a zip tie and the shock cord loop will be adjustable. Pull it tight and that step will not move on the strap, but leave the cord a little less tight and it will slide on the strap to fine tune the position on the strap. I like to adjust it snug enough that I can slide it with a little force. Not too tight, not too loose.
This system works well with one step on the strap. I think multiple steps would complicate the carry/packing but I have not experimented with multi steps so it could work out okay. Minor point, I like the bright colored cord on the steps so it's easier to see in low light. Dark steps, dark tree, dark strap can disappear in low light. The brighter color is just a little bit more visual.
2bb2bf1f86a6e7ed2efc6619c0e39101.jpg

How did you attach the shock cord to the end of the strap on the platform?

How did you attach the shock cord to the end of the strap on the platform?
I don't put the shock cord on the tag end, I put it on the loop end. Doing it that way also gives me something to grab ahold of at the end of the hunt when I want to pull the strap off the button. Kinda acts like a zipper pull on a coat.

Last edited:
Ahh gotcha. Thanks. I was trying to wrap mine up the other day and couldn’t make it all the way around so I had a long tag end and was wondering how to wrap that up. Wasn’t even thinking to put it on the loop and I could stretch that around. Thanks again

Back