• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

For Saddles: V-92, Tera 40 or something else?

jhunter13

SH Member
I plan on sewing my first diy saddle and spec'd out the break strength on Tera 40(Tex 75) is 8.3 lbf and V-92 (Tex 90) is 14.2 lbf. I realize this just means Id need to adjust stitch length calculations to get similar strengths, but was curious for those sewing their own saddle what thread brand/size are you using?

Also, I am running a Singer 15-91 in case thread size needs to be factored in for machine limitations.

Thanks!

I think most are using v138 but I have used 92. Under the diy section for sewing is a really good resource from Sailrite that you should check out before you build a saddle. They tested breaking strength of different stitch patterns on webbing.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Here is the link I was referring to.

I think most are using v138 but I have used 92. Under the diy section for sewing is a really good resource from Sailrite that you should check out before you build a saddle. They tested breaking strength of different stitch patterns on webbing.

Thanks, it was the first one I watched, and why V-92 is one I am considering.

Also not sure my sewing machine will handle the v-138 or not. Havent tried it,but I thought I read its for commercial machines.

I have done 2 saddles and used v92 thread. As stated above you have to make sure you are doing the correct stitches per inch, etc. for strength for any size thread. I have used the v92 thread on a singer 15 90 clone and a 15 91. Needle size is what is important for thread size. I have not tried v138 because I do not believe with those machines you can use a needle large enough for the thicker thread.
Someone with more knowledge will hopefully confirm or correct this?

I have done 2 saddles and used v92 thread. As stated above you have to make sure you are doing the correct stitches per inch, etc. for strength for any size thread. I have used the v92 thread on a singer 15 90 clone and a 15 91. Needle size is what is important for thread size. I have not tried v138 because I do not believe with those machines you can use a needle large enough for the thicker thread.
Someone with more knowledge will hopefully confirm or correct this?
What size needle were using with the v92 on the singer clone? I was going to try #18.

Last edited:
I will double check when I get home but that sounds right. Fit the biggest "heavy duty" needle in it and see how it sews. Ibhave a sailrite clone that dosent do as well with the same thread for some reason. Gotta be a little different needle is the reason?

What size needle are you using for that, like a 20, 22?

Probably 22 or 23. If I remember correctly, Gutermann lists it as size 20-22 needle. In my experience, their recommended needle sizes tend to be a bit undersized when sewing milspec grosgrain and webbing.

Watch my video to the very end. I know 2 minutes is an eternity in internet time. Don't get impatient. :)

I used Gutermann "upholstery" thread that I got at my local Joann Fabrics. It is 100% polyester and is for outdoor usage. It is rot proof and UV resistant. It does not have a size number just "upholstery". I used the largest needle I could find local and that was a #16 for my Phaff Tiptonic 1171 and it ran good. I at least triple stitched everything and used redundant box x's at critical overlap joints. If it brakes it will just have to brake but it will take some doing to brake.

I used Gutermann "upholstery" thread that I got at my local Joann Fabrics. It is 100% polyester and is for outdoor usage. It is rot proof and UV resistant. It does not have a size number just "upholstery". I used the largest needle I could find local and that was a #16 for my Phaff Tiptonic 1171 and it ran good. I at least triple stitched everything and used redundant box x's at critical overlap joints. If it brakes it will just have to brake but it will take some doing to brake.
Thanks. Im fairly certain that thread is Tera 40

I'm using same thread. When I build my saddles I basically build it first only using 2-3-4 stitches so I can hang out of it first and make adjustments if needed fairly easy and yet to have one come apart while sitting in it. Imagine how many more stitches go into the final product, unless someone forgot to back stitch then no way it'll break

look for bonded nylon thread, its stronger then poly and has some stretch to it which is good for gear like saddles because of the material stretching under load (form some article that's related ) . they say its not UV resistant but you can find some that it. at the same time when they refer to outdoor use , they are talking about products that will stay outside for extended periods of time/days exposed to direct sunlight like patio furniture.this will damage the strength of the thread and break it down. for our hunting purposes it will not applies we are outside for hours at a time and during a lot of fall like weather.i noticed a lot of people use both #69 and #92. I use a bonded nylon thread #69 from Cansew that has a 12LB break strength, I ve seen others with 11lb. I feel like its a mater of preference at the end of the day as long as stay within the guideline and do the math proper for SPI.

the link below helped me decide and info from others on saddlehunter also

this link was helpful , snapshot below is from it. https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...de=TTE&Category_Code=Nylon-Thread-Information

I also used https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Sew-Webbing-Loops. & https://sewingiscool.com/sewing-nylon-webbing/

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 10.57.51 AM.png

look for bonded nylon thread, its stronger then poly and has some stretch to it which is good for gear like saddles because of the material stretching under load (form some article that's related ) . they say its not UV resistant but you can find some that it. at the same time when they refer to outdoor use , they are talking about products that will stay outside for extended periods of time/days exposed to direct sunlight like patio furniture.this will damage the strength of the thread and break it down. for our hunting purposes it will not applies we are outside for hours at a time and during a lot of fall like weather.i noticed a lot of people use both #69 and #92. I use a bonded nylon thread #69 from Cansew that has a 12LB break strength, I ve seen others with 11lb. I feel like its a mater of preference at the end of the day as long as stay within the guideline and do the math proper for SPI.

the link below helped me decide and info from others on saddlehunter also

this link was helpful , snapshot below is from it. https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...de=TTE&Category_Code=Nylon-Thread-Information

I also used https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Sew-Webbing-Loops. & https://sewingiscool.com/sewing-nylon-webbing/

View attachment 44678
Thanks, that great info!

Back