• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

For you soft saddle folks who won’t admit a hybrid is better…

kyler1945

SH Member
Don’t ask me how I got here.

But this might be a nice thing for making soft saddles more comfortable.

And my favorite part is this picture. Solid advertising!

6DD23B25-6508-4097-80D1-A26E1C61611D.jpeg

View attachment 80746
They look like the padded shorts we use to wear playing roller hockey. I might actually get some for skiing at $45. I rarely fall, but when I do it’s always on my hip bone. That seems to be wear I fall in hockey too. This makes no sense for saddle hunting. In what ways is the JX3 better? In what ways are soft saddles better?

View attachment 80746

i've always wondered what darth vader looks like in a bikini.....

Lol I've used an early version of those shorts back in the day snowboarding, they do help protect the coccyx when you're learning. Not so sure on the saddle applications, though I know this was all just a ruse to post that rear angle. Does @Red Beard have to pull out his special photo again lol

Genuinely curious, if for no other reason than knowing, will they reduce pressure points or create some new pressure points when paired up with a saddle.

Genuinely curious, if for no other reason than knowing, will they reduce pressure points or create some new pressure points when paired up with a saddle.
I would think they create more pressure points, they are designed for shock absorption, not constant use. I'm basing this on a somewhat limited knowledge of bicycle seats (they actually call them saddles as well) where too much cushion can be a bad thing and you want to find something that fits your sit bones. I have a leather brooks saddle on my bike as a result. Well half because of that and half because I was a wannabe hipster at some point I suppose.

I would think they create more pressure points, they are designed for shock absorption, not constant use. I'm basing this on a somewhat limited knowledge of bicycle seats (they actually call them saddles as well) where too much cushion can be a bad thing and you want to find something that fits your sit bones. I have a leather brooks saddle on my bike as a result. Well half because of that and half because I was a wannabe hipster at some point I suppose.
What do you recommend for bike seats that have more cushion? The seat on this trek bike is clearly made for fast and hard, not slow and sitting for a long ride. Basically, it hurts my tailbone.

What do you recommend for bike seats that have more cushion? The seat on this trek bike is clearly made for fast and hard, not slow and sitting for a long ride. Basically, it hurts my tailbone.
I don't! Lol it's very hard to say online but I am more of a use a road/rando bike with drop bars and adjust the seat height up to get more of the weight forward onto your hands and ditch the padding cyclist than a sit back on a gel seat with springs on a hybrid or add more padding cyclist.

I assume bike shorts with built in chamois/padding is a no go? They make some that look "normal" and not full spandex these days.

In reality your local bike shop should be helpful, and the seat will cost about the same in store as it it does online, if it's a bit more you're paying for the (free) fit advice like going to an archery shop brick and mortar. And I mean a real bike shop, not the bike counter at a big box store.

Is it actually your tailbone or is your seat bones; they're very different and have different solutions. If it's your seat bone(s) you'll have two sore points, one on each side of your butt, essentially at the joints of your legs with your hips. There really isn't much of a solution for that other than more time in the saddle to get used to it and/or better padding in your shorts. I find seats with "more cushion" actually make this worse because they're making it harder to sit properly on the seat and keep my legs in line with the rest of my body. So I wear cycling shorts with a gel padding that's decent quality.

If it's your tailbone, you'll have a single sore point in the center than tends to "go upward" and be sore in a larger area vertically. If it's this, it will likely also be sore for a lot longer after you stop riding (and will eventually screw up your spine). The solution for this is generally a saddle (seat) with a split tail so you're sitting on your seat bones (as you should be) rather than resting weight on your coccyx. Some saddles solve it with a "ditch" in the center of the saddle, but my experience (having broken my coccyx) says that doesn't work as well as having a v-notch with no seat at the center back.

A saddle with a ditch
LIETU-Super-Light-Cycling-Saddle-MTB-Seat-Cool-Mountain-Bike-Road-Bike-Bicycle-Saddle-Riding-...jpeg

A saddle with a notch (and a ditch)
th-113772643.jpeg

Last edited:
Back