• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Four Fletch

rhagenw

SH Member
Last year I started four fletching with AAE Stealth max with a right cramp+off set ...and they flew great and help with my occasional shooting issues...but at 10 grains a piece I would like to try something lighter? Any suggestions?

I did feathers and 4 fletch last year. They worked great and don't weigh near as much. I trimmed them to like 3 inches with a profile a lot like the AAE Stealth Max, and then sprayed tent spray on them to water proof. No complaints and they killed deer!

I did feathers and 4 fletch last year. They worked great and don't weigh near as much. I trimmed them to like 3 inches with a profile a lot like the AAE Stealth Max, and then sprayed tent spray on them to water proof. No complaints and they killed deer!

Do you need a feather burner to re-profile them?

Do you need a feather burner to re-profile them?
I made a template and traced it with a sharpie on the feathers themselves and then cut them out one by one with kitchen shears. I'm sure they weren't PERFECT but they were even and all the same size/weight. Wasn't super scientific. Weighed only 2 grains if I remember correctly. I wasn't super anal about it once I got to testing an arrow with them on there because they flew great.

I did nock tune all arrows before I applied the fletchings though, so the feathers were really just there to add forgiveness.

Go with the smaller vanes. I shot hybrid 2.0 on my compound and they flew like darts.
I’ve tried searching Lancaster for hybrid 2.0...tons of results which manufacturer are you referring too?

40 grains out back seems like a lot of weight in the wrong location. How bad was arrow flight that you needed that much correction to use 4 fletch?
FWIW, I use 3 - 2" Blazers which is 18grs total and arrows sail true with broadheads to 50 yards.

40 grains out back seems like a lot of weight in the wrong location. How bad was arrow flight that you needed that much correction to use 4 fletch?
FWIW, I use 3 - 2" Blazers which is 18grs total and arrows sail true with broadheads to 50 yards.

I have paper tune and they make bullet holes when I do my part...but buck fever and the occasional target panic I like all the help I can get

edit : I’ve also had contact issues using high profile vanes such as blazers with my VXR with the cock feather up so it made it tricky for me to bare shaft nock tune

I fletch mine cock feather out (left) to get the most clearance from the cables/riser with the hen feathers. I also use drop away rests on my bows and never had any form of contact issues using blazers.

Have you tried 3 fletch with those Stealth max? Would be 10 less grains out back.

Only on my back up rig (bear pledge) with a 400ish grain arrow and straight clamp minimal off-set...but may try it with new rig and 550ish with right clamp...I over guess the AAE max stealth vane weight by .8 grain...I’m not saying four fletch is the best way I just know I’m not always shooting 100 percent at the moment of truth and from intentionally torquing the grip and plucking the string I’ve seen an improvement...but I’ll give it a shot and compare to my blazers

I’ve used the aae pro max vanes in the past and 4 fletched them. Worked well for me and quite. Feathers will be your lightest bet but when I tried feathers on my compound they had a lot of flight noise.

The stealths are great but four is a bit of an overkill. Something in the 2.1 size will give you good control. The hybrid or Q2i fusion both work well. Plenty of options.

I’ve been shooting the AAE Max 23 vanes in the four fletch configuration with about a 3 degree helical and I really like them compared to the Blazer Heats that I shot before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge shout out to arrowtuningkits... check them out! Also shock at how tiny the AAE hybrids are! Will post later on how are threes compare to 4 fletch with AAE Stealth MaxC6F67910-D99F-4A0F-B6A3-5F4149717792.jpeg

I always advocate for Zinger Fletches. You can get 4 fletch, they're low profile, and the whole thing weighs 12 grains I believe.

I got some last season. Fly great for me and you can't beat the convenience if you need to reflectch.

Do they sell small number sample packs?

They offer a couple of different test packs.

I bought a pile of zingers. They just didn't give enough long range stability for fixed heads for me shooting past 40 yards (western style, not deer). They are a good option for closer in or mechanicals though for sure. Can't beat them for lots of reasons.

I've switched to TAC vanes. they're pretty awesome and low profile. I do a four fletch on a 510gr roughly 30.5" overall length arrow going 290 with a fixed head up front. Driver 2.25". I'm shooting field points with broadheads out to 80 with consistent grouping.

Blazers were fine but a little tall for my tastes.

Back