• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Frame pack recliner

Grasshopper

Today my distraction from work was envisioning a saddle system kind of similar to the jx3. Possibly without the rigid seat, but with a semi rigid backrest that in turn doubles as a frame for a pack. I'm not too good with a sewing machine, but I know a few folks here like to dabble so I figured I'd share this thought. I imagine a packframe something like a pop-up so you have freedom of movement above the shoulders. I guess the pack would have to be easily removed and reattached, so that it could be hung up in the tree and accessed. Then throw in a load shelf for those successful hunts. Maybe the jx3 has been modded a little bit like this already by someone I don't follow all threads.

The problem is it has to be wider than your sides so the strap doesn’t dig in. By the time you make that, buy a hybrid. If it’s narrower than you, then it’s the same as a cloth backband.

I use a sit drag with a battle belt with a built in lineman's belt I tie the lineman's in with my bridge. It makes a pretty decent recliner. I was thinking if the straps connecting the frame to seat run over the padded waist belt it would feel nice. Although I'm not very wide.

Today I took the lineman's out of the battle belt and fished it through a pop up frame. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but I think it's worth playing with. The shoulder straps seemed like they might get annoying, but the back rest felt nice.

I have an Eberlestock Carrier Frame that I will try this with. To combat the pinch due to the pack’s width, I plan to feed a 3/4” piece of aluminum into some tubular webbing and hand sew a couple of loops on the end for hook up

I have a surplus GI pack with this frame. The JX3 has a frame suspiciously like this.
View attachment 31058

It’s not suspiciously like that....it IS that. Surprised you fools can even find them for sale anymore, ole John was buying em up.

was......

It’s not suspiciously like that....it IS that. Surprised you fools can even find them for sale anymore, ole John was buying em up.

was......
Fools are so ingenious.
Murphys Law: Nothing can be made foolproof since fools are so ingenious. ;)

was......
I have had one in my cart to try this with for a couple months now lol

The main benefits I see from this experiment is the ability to have a semi rigid back rest for tree comfort, and having meat packing ability as an integrated part of your system. When I briefly attached my sitdrag to a pop up framepack it felt comfortable enough that I will probably play around with it some more. I don't know if I can grow to accept having the clutter of the shoulder straps on my chest though. I don't know if a rigid seat is necessary if you keep the straps going from the back frame to the saddle over the waist belt padding.
If I were to use a rigid seat I'd look for a harnesses that some iron workers and cell tower workers etc. that have a piece of padded aluminum sheet metal bent in a wide u shape. They are extremely comfortable. I'd rob the seat from one of them.

Again, I remain highly skeptical that you’ll find comfort in a frame that is either as wide or wider than your back, or dang close. This will get worse the bigger the difference between the two. If you decide to make a rigid seat I have a treesuit seat I can sell you. Save hours of figgering.

I have a tree suit that I have paired with a military surplus pack frame. It is pretty comfortable and works very well however I am contemplating upgrading to a JX3.

I have a tree suit that I have paired with a military surplus pack frame. It is pretty comfortable and works very well however I am contemplating upgrading to a JX3.

pictures, I’ll tell ya if it’s worth an upgrade!

The JX3 often copied, but never improved (yet).
Grasshopper, once you sit in a JX3, you will become a disciple of the design.

If I owned a jx3 I'm afraid I would fall asleep too often. I guarantee it is the most comfortable commercial saddle available at this time. I'm more or less just playing around with things. I plan on hunting out of my sitdrag with a battle belt again this season. Two heads are better than one when it comes to improving ideas that's all.

I have a surplus GI pack with this frame. The JX3 has a frame suspiciously like this.
View attachment 31058
Do you tie a rucksack into that frame? If so, does it really help with weight distribution? I'm trying to figure how to haul black bear and dear out of the Catskills this fall

Do you tie a rucksack into that frame? If so, does it really help with weight distribution? I'm trying to figure how to haul black bear and dear out of the Catskills this fall
I bought the pack at MidwayUSA last year. It seems to be this pack. If I remember right, I think it had a carrying capacity of 120 lbs. At the time, I thought they must have had some very large soldiers carrying that much.

Sorry, I think it's this one. It was complete with straps and frame. Yes. It has the semicircular lower compartment.
Here it is complete. Good price, IMHO.

pictures, I’ll tell ya if it’s worth an upgrade!
It is worth the upgrade. I did a practice session of one stick climbing with my tree suit attached to a pack frame and had a failure at height. The frame pack broke on me where I had my tree suit attached. That led to my waist belt snagging on the break and ripping. It was no problem as when I use something of my own creation, I back it up with a rock climbing harness. I didn't even a have a tiny jolt from the break but all of a sudden I realized things weren't right. I did find comfort in this until it broke though.

Back