• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Freezer fillers UNITE!!!

Red Beard

SH Member
Everyone loves to post pictures of their saddle laying atop a dead cervid or pig. When it's all said and done though, how well did you do "filling the freezer" or "bringing home the bacon" this year?

C'mon and show us what those little beauts, big brutes, or sloppy sows supplied you with!

I'll start... The deer freezer on the right has two of three does taken this year.
20201112_145445.jpg
20201112_150556.jpg

So far.. pretty bad. Only one buck in the freezer after 2 weeks of elk hunting and 6 weeks of deer hunting. Passed up a bunch of bucks just to shoot a buck I passed up at least 2x already. But............ I got to hunt a lot. I may not always be able to do that. :)

Doing a couple hang and hunts in the NY big woods this weekend. Don't tell Cuomo that I crossed the state line.

I'll start... The deer freezer on the right has two of three does taken this year.
How do you like the chest freezer? I have an upright that has a buck and a doe in it so far. It has a lot of other crap in it too, so much so that I've thought about getting a dedicated chest freezer just for deer, if I can keep the wife out of it that is.

How do you like the chest freezer? I have an upright that has a buck and a doe in it so far. It has a lot of other crap in it too, so much so that I've thought about getting a dedicated chest freezer just for deer, if I can keep the wife out of it that is.
Only time will tell. This is our first year with that little chest freezer. Our other stand-up gave out this past summer. Looks like it will hold a lot. BUT... it may be hard to get to the stuff you're looking for.
My 2 cents is I use my chest freezer for all my ground meat and the stand up for all the cuts. Stuff just gets lost in the chest freezer to easily but if it’s all ground then no worries.
I like the idea about the chest freezer being only for ground.

I know you didn't ask me but I'll add my two cents. The chest freezer is awesome if it is packed right (big stuff on bottom) and a list of what is in it is kept. The uprights make the organization easier.

I had a chest freezer for a few years. I hated it unless it was mostly empty. I had to pull everything out to find what I wanted. The standup is the way to go. Buy them old and used.

I would have to post my freezer pics in the shame thread. I only have 3/4 of a doe In there and not one filet of fish.

Last edited:
I just found a full pheasant at bottom of freezer from a kansas hunt 3 years. I guess I never found a bird taxidermist. Kinda bummed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the ground meat idea.

I went a little crazy with freezer filling this year. I've always fished and hunted, but it turned into an obsession this year. I've always fished for whatever on a lake, this year I went after crappie almost exclusively. There are many, many in my freezer. This is my first year archery hunting, I got into it just to extend my season so I could put more deer in the freezer over a longer period of time. Its working pretty good, two deer in there so far.

I think its fair to say I'm a freezer filler hunter. I like to say I fish for sport, hunt for food.

I like the ground meat idea.

I went a little crazy with freezer filling this year. I've always fished and hunted, but it turned into an obsession this year. I've always fished for whatever on a lake, this year I went after crappie almost exclusively. There are many, many in my freezer. This is my first year archery hunting, I got into it just to extend my season so I could put more deer in the freezer over a longer period of time. Its working pretty good, two deer in there so far.

I think its fair to say I'm a freezer filler hunter. I like to say I fish for sport, hunt for food.

You can never have enough crappie...

My dad fills half a full size upright freezer with crappie every year. It helps that he is retired and lives on a good crappie lake. He can get his entire year’s worth in 2-3 weeks during the spawn. Just pushes the nose of the boat into the cattails and uses a long cane pole to drop a live minnow (without a weight) and a bobber into each little open piece of water between the stalks. Let’s the minnow do it’s thing, and moves it after about 30 seconds if no bite.

Limit here is 25 per day, and he can have a limit within an hour of sunrise on most days. There’s no better freshwater fish for frying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can never have enough crappie....

There’s no better freshwater fish for frying!

Agreed 100% I'm a structure guy. last year in PA the spawn was weird.we had such wild temp swings that the fish would go shallow and deep every other day. It was weird. I waited until after the spawn when the pressure died down some and targeted downed trees that aren't visible from shore. I run an old town predator 13 with a trolling motor and a humminbird helix 7. I would cruise the shore line looking for downed trees and drop some jigs in the branches, slayed last year. I dont know if you're into crappie fishing, but I switched to a 10' crappie pole using hi vis line. What a freaking difference a dedicated crappie rod makes.

Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but I could talk all day about freezer filling all day!

Last edited:
This pic is from last year. It’s pretty much the same this year. I’ve got to take the time to empty and reorganize again. There’s still about a half deer from last year that needs to be on top.
48C88F75-3A44-4C3C-9722-4717D4A77E01.jpeg

I have to say that I have been donating a LOT of deer to hunters helping the hungry the past few years. My chest freezer got so stocked full of venison I've just been trying to work through it all. I love vacuum sealed bags! Those sucks will keep meat for a couple years if they stay sealed! I agree with the comment earlier that it is very easy to lose things into the bottom of the chest freezer. After my last deer of the year last year I pulled everything out of the freezer, put that one on the bottom and did a rotation to make sure I was using up the oldest stuff first.

Screenshot_20201112-141727_Gallery.jpg100% venison. Mix of breakfast sausage, ground, and some shoulder roasts. There's more in the fridge and small freezer.Ever since my wife and I got married we only buy meat if we want chicken wings or steak. I will go months at a time eating venison every day, sometimes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Breakfast today was a little deer sausage and some eggs, and lunch was a bowl of taco soup made with ground venison.

Between deer, hogs, ducks, squirrels, and this year trotlines, I can keep me and the better half fat and happy, and help out 4 newly independent younger siblings. They always leave the compound with some fresh meat.

Awesome pics...great thread idea!

I'll take one when I get home. Have a small chest freezer like OP. Interesting about the rotation problem. It's not something I've experienced. I guess I'm a bad enough hunter and/or eat it fast enough that I've never had a new year's deer ready to go in before last year's was all gone.

Come to think of it, I'm kinda on an every other year cycle and I have no clue why. That prevents the chest freezer rotation problem for me. It seems even-numbered years are my kill years. I only have one odd-numbered year kill in the eight I've been hunting:
13-0
14-2
15-0
16-2
17-1
18-2
19-0
20-2
Bizarre. I guess I should avoid hunting south winds AND odd-numbered years!

Agreed 100% I'm a structure guy. last year in PA the spawn was weird.we had such wild temp swings that the fish would go shallow and deep every other day. It was weird. I waited until after the spawn when the pressure died down some and targeted downed trees that aren't visible from shore. I run an old town predator 13 with a trolling motor and a humminbird helix 7. I would cruise the shore line looking for downed trees and drop some jigs in the branches, slayed last year. I dont know if you're into crappie fishing, but I switched to a 10' crappie pole using hi vis line. What a freaking difference a dedicated crappie rod makes.

Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but I could talk all day about freezer filling all day!

If you got any crappie fishing pics/tips post em here! I'm practically new to fishing. Only got serious about it 2 years ago. Got on some crappies once last year and it was a blast!

Mix of general groceries and two @Nutterbuster approved baby deer (got the sticker to prove it).

Was going to stage the photo with lots of saddlehunter approved/disapproved stuff but got lazy (much like on morning hunts) and settled for just a couple.

Best $4.99 I ever spent.
3a6653868ef60feb9361a3f792b57a6b.jpg

Lock it and hide the keys.

Back