• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Freezer Preservation

The_Rick

So I have been tree stand hunting for the 4 years now and all my previous deer I have processed myself. I have always just made my cuts and then packed them into freezer bags, pressed out all the air, labeled and stacked em. It has worked pretty well but noticed a bit of freezer burn on the top edge near the zipper of the bag and got me to thinking. I don't really want to purchase a vacuum sealer as I need to save up my shekels for my saddle system. Wondering how y'all preserve your game in the freezer. I was thinking about wrapping in seran wrap and then freezer paper as I heard that works but don't have experience with it. Thoughts?

So I have been tree stand hunting for the 4 years now and all my previous deer I have processed myself. I have always just made my cuts and then packed them into freezer bags, pressed out all the air, labeled and stacked em. It has worked pretty well but noticed a bit of freezer burn on the top edge near the zipper of the bag and got me to thinking. I don't really want to purchase a vacuum sealer as I need to save up my shekels for my saddle system. Wondering how y'all preserve your game in the freezer. I was thinking about wrapping in seran wrap and then freezer paper as I heard that works but don't have experience with it. Thoughts?
I’ve been processing my own game for over 15 years. We eat it pretty quickly so realistically 3 deer last less than a year, but before I had a vacuum sealer, I always used Saran Wrap and then pressed air out of ziplock freezer bags. Very little burn, but you should find some great sales on vacuum sealers this holiday season.

I was wondering if the ziplock freezer bags after the seran would work. The freezer paper is pretty spendy. Appreciate the heads up.

Makes a big difference if you are using chest freezer or a self defrosting freezer. A trick I use is to put a couple towels on top of the meat. Chests freezer. It keeps everything colder and helps reduce temperature fluctuations within the freezer when opening / closing.

Yall that Process at home, what is your general fat content for ground and where do you get fat to add? Do y'all just mix with ground beef?

I got a decent grinder last year for christmas and would love to start processing at home.

Yall that Process at home, what is your general fat content for ground and where do you get fat to add? Do y'all just mix with ground beef?

I got a decent grinder last year for christmas and would love to start processing at home.
I just grind, I don’t add any fat to my burger. But if I use some of the ground venison to make sausage I use pork fat

You can get a cheap foodsaver vac sealer for about $50. Goto cabelas and buy the bulk vac seal bag by the roll and cut them down yourself. A little more work, but saves you a bunch of money. I've been processing my own deer for a few years now and have always vac sealed and not once have I ever had freezer burn. It also helps that deer doesn't stay in the freezer for more than a year. Anything that isn't vacuum sealed allows for air to circulate around the meat and eventually cause freezer burn. I ate enough freezer burned meat growing up (thanks grandma) to know I never want to taste it ever again.

I have always wrapped steaks in seran wrap and then stored them in ziploc bags. I’ve never had issues with freezer burn, and sometimes my stuff may sit for close to a year.

Excuse my ignorance...I thought most add like 10% fat in their ground
A lot of people do, I’ve chosen to keep it 100% venison. We use it in meatloaf, spaghetti, tacos, burritos and of course burgers. It’s never dried out, low to medium heat and medium rare cooking fares just fine. I have a friend that has used beef fat from a local butcher for years, mostly with good success, but he did have 2 occasions that resulted in spoilage from contaminated fat. For me that’s twice too many. I’m not saying no fat is the way to go, but it’s worked for us for a long long time

I second cheap food saver is the way to go. My last one lasted many years, processing 3-5 deer a year plus turkeys and upland game.

A lot of people do, I’ve chosen to keep it 100% venison. We use it in meatloaf, spaghetti, tacos, burritos and of course burgers. It’s never dried out, low to medium heat and medium rare cooking fares just fine. I have a friend that has used beef fat from a local butcher for years, mostly with good success, but he did have 2 occasions that resulted in spoilage from contaminated fat. For me that’s twice too many. I’m not saying no fat is the way to go, but it’s worked for us for a long long time
Thanks for the info!

I have always processed our deer and we use freezer wrap. If you choose to use zip lock bags:

1. Place meat in bag and seal all but about an inch
2. Place bag in water up to opening
3. Seal bag

Water will work like a vacuum seal and push all the air out. Works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just use zip lock bags too, but am probably going to switch to vacuum bags. I just think it will take more time but in the long run with be worth it to have a little more protection. I leave my silver skin on too to help add another barrier against freezer burn.

I just grind, I don’t add any fat to my burger. But if I use some of the ground venison to make sausage I use pork fat

Same...my wife likes the burger to be in 1lb bags. I vacuum seal everything..found some burger from 2 years ago...still good and zero burn. As for fat content...if we are going to do hamburger we take bacon (any flavor) and grind it...then mix and grind together. It is great.

Makes a big difference if you are using chest freezer or a self defrosting freezer. A trick I use is to put a couple towels on top of the meat. Chests freezer. It keeps everything colder and helps reduce temperature fluctuations within the freezer when opening / closing.
It will be kept in the deep freeze chest freezer.

I know you said about saving money but $50 aint a bad way to get started: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2HE2HD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3PAV43I12A2F0&psc=1
This is true but does anyone have experience with this one. I am a buy a tool once kind of guy so I buy higher end stuff to not have to worry about it crapping out on me. I don't want to try to put 3 or 4 deer through it and it craps out after the first one. That is the reason for saying I wanted to save some cash, I would be buying a higher end one. If someone has used this and it can handle the work load I will fire it up! Thanks again for the info.

I have always processed our deer and we use freezer wrap. If you choose to use zip lock bags:

1. Place meat in bag and seal all but about an inch
2. Place bag in water up to opening
3. Seal bag

Water will work like a vacuum seal and push all the air out. Works really well.

I have heard about this. I was thinking about trying it this year just like you stated. Seran, Freezer bag, and then submerge up to the zipper. Glad to hear it work. Thanks!

Same...my wife likes the burger to be in 1lb bags. I vacuum seal everything..found some burger from 2 years ago...still good and zero burn. As for fat content...if we are going to do hamburger we take bacon (any flavor) and grind it...then mix and grind together. It is great.
Totally going to grind in some bacon to the grind this year. Maybe then she will eat it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:. The kids like it but she can't get past the memory of me butchering everything in the kitchen while she was pregnant with our 4th. Haunts her to this day...:persevere:

Back