• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Friction hitches on tether

I have converted all my ropes to use a distel and tender for Linesmans belt, bridge , and tether. They cinch tight and release easily. The tender works just as well as a ropeman or kong with no extra metal clinking around. Three ropes, three biners. Simple simple.

I have converted all my ropes to use a distel and tender for Linesmans belt, bridge , and tether. They cinch tight and release easily. The tender works just as well as a ropeman or kong with no extra metal clinking around. Three ropes, three biners. Simple simple.
What length rope do you start with for a Distel?

The Michocan tends well and grabs reliably. It is a balancing act between the two when it comes to hitches. I started out in SRT using the Ropewrench with a variation of the VT but while it went up the rope nicely it wouldn't always grab the rope. I drifted to the Michocan because it is compact and displays the characteristics of the Blake's (as it is one with eye terminations).. I use the Michocan on my linemans but use the CT Rollnlock on my tether .

Yes that is what I am using on my tether along with a hitch tender( a small ring on webbing). Once when I get it adjusted I throw a Alpine Butterfly under the hitch and clip it in my carabiner.

My Distel cords are about 28". I use a Distel and tender on my lineman's belt, but not my tether--even under load, if you grab onto the Distel, it will release.

The length of your hitch cords will depend largely on the diameters of your cord and your rope, how many turns you need to get reliable grip, etc.

Start long, its much easier to make a rope shorter than it is to make one longer.

I recently switched to a distel on my tether. I use one rope to climb, tether and to rappel. And have been one sticking while tethered. I have noticed that I have to be conscious of where I place my hands while climbing because I like to pull myself up with my rope and would hate to grab onto that distel accidentally. Does anyone have other suggestions? I stopped using the Ropeman 1 while one sticking because I inevitably introduce some slack in the line between moves.

Matt, can you shorten your bridge and your hitch cord so that the distel is so close to your pelvis that you never have the urge to grab it there?

Than
Matt, can you shorten your bridge and your hitch cord so that the distel is so close to your pelvis that you never have the urge to grab it there?
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. I’m new to all this and this will be my first year in a saddle. Have been practicing climbing at least a few times a week. I guess now that I think of it, I do push that distel up pretty far too when I advance my tether. Thanks

My Distel cords are about 28". I use a Distel and tender on my lineman's belt, but not my tether--even under load, if you grab onto the Distel, it will release.
I get what you’re saying. What do you use on your tether.

I like to use the hitch with the most flamboyant name.... Then look for reasons to bring up said hitch and then throw out said flamboyant name.... hahahah

Regular old prusik for me

Back