• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Friction Knot or Mechanical Device

KAdams944

I have done some research and a lot of guys go with a mechanical device (ropeman) because they don't like that a prusik knot tightens down too much and can be difficult to get to loosen up. Many of the larger guys +250lbs don't like the mechanical devices because the failure potential. Is there a friction knot that works better than a prusik or a happy medium between the two?

Last edited:
I run a Michoacan on my lineman's belt with an amsteel loop tender, and a double Michoacan (learned from JRB) on my tether/rappel line. Both work really well for me. I have not used a ropeman before

Here is a side view with some of the sauce scraped off. Four wraps, cross them over the ring and take to back and cross again. Pass each end through the pipe and bring to the front and wrap around carabiner, or Slyde, take to the back and pass through pipe again and tie stopper.
DB4DDBBB-7F52-4EF5-9A73-CDEF7AEF3AB7.jpeg

I use a ropeman or other mechanical device climbing and another to rappel. I’m also Learning knots to try this upcoming season. I’d suggest learning the Michoacán to use instead of a prussik. I use a prussik for a brake and redundancy, im bout to change to the Michoacán.. It should be easier to adjust and you really don’t need a friction hitch that will hold in either direction. It’s all personal preference but you can certainly go with very little metal at all.

I too as a new user have been debating whether I want to go mechanical on my tether. I just can't get over the fear it would fail. Plus I dont really want to spend the extra $$. I have a prusik and tender in my lineman, which is easy. I like the idea of the Schwabish for the tether if it's easier to slide up and down for those minor adjustments. Prusik gets way too tight.

CJM do what makes you feel safe, that goes for everyone. I hate friction hitches and only climb on mechanical and rappel on a figure 8. Besides, a mechanical device is a whole lot cleaner and less cumbersome than all the extra ropes. I see some guys set ups with 4 and 5 different ropes.
I climb on oplux and a Kong or ropeman, get to height change over to my figure 8 and I am ready to rappel at a moments notice. I feel 100% safer on a mechanical device than a friction hitch. Most tests that show a mechanical device failing are way way out of the range we will create falling a few feet.
With all that being said, do what makes you feel safe. The worse thing is to be 30 feet up a tree second guessing your gear.

Is it possible to run a friction hitch lower below a kong duck and have it attach to your bridge with a carabiner? I'm thinking it would act kind of like a back up if the mechanical failed. Im talking about using one tether as well, not two separate ones.

If you don't trust the Kong, don't use it. How do you think the Kong would fail? It is kind of everytime you step on the brake pedal in your car also pulling the E brake.

I guess I have this thought (probably a bit overboard) that the rope would slip through when under heavy tension if I'm leaning out for a shot or really standing off the platform for a shot. I tend to just be overly cautious in generl when up in a tree. If something fails it's a long fall down. I'm not opposed to the kong, because I think it can really be a benefit to use. I just want to make sure it's safe, but then again I suppose if it wasn't they'd be out of business

Honestly man, get one and try it out. If you don't like it you can sell it in about 5 seconds. I am very cautious also, I have 2 daughters 8 and 6 that no deer is worth them losing their dad.

I guess I have this thought (probably a bit overboard) that the rope would slip through when under heavy tension if I'm leaning out for a shot or really standing off the platform for a shot. I tend to just be overly cautious in generl when up in a tree. If something fails it's a long fall down. I'm not opposed to the kong, because I think it can really be a benefit to use. I just want to make sure it's safe, but then again I suppose if it wasn't they'd be out of business

Check out the CT Roll'n'Lock too.

Just providing an alternative:

1. Here's a friction hitch like nothing I have tested. More info on the playlist.

2.Here's my rappel and my device is simply a carabiner. I can afford devices... they are just not a match for what i do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just providing an alternative:

1. Here's a friction hitch like nothing I have tested. More info on the playlist.

2.Here's my rappel and my device is simply a carabiner. I can afford devices... they are just not a match for what i do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It takes a minute to learn to properly tie the ascender hitch in soft bridge mode but it works superbly. It can be used stick climbing, 2TC, JRB hitch climbing or pretty much any climbing method that I am aware of.

Is it possible to run a friction hitch lower below a kong duck and have it attach to your bridge with a carabiner? I'm thinking it would act kind of like a back up if the mechanical failed. Im talking about using one tether as well, not two separate ones.
Yes, I run a prussik below my ropeman, the same one converts to my brake on my ATC for rappelling ….just tend it on the way down. I do have a second shorter bridge I use as redundancy and for rappelling.

Reactions: GMJ
I go with a distel on the tether, and an ascender device(gt rollnlock, kong duck, and ropeman are all fine) on the LB. This took some refinement, and I’m happy with it.

I waited to order the Ropemans, and Im glad I did. The manual rope aiders work so well and easy! I have the Vapor line ropes from Latitude and they are awesome.

Back