• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

From Day Six

BTaylor

SH Member

Thoughts??

Not going to argue with what he said. My feelings of lately are more important things needs to be spoken about from my soap box. Hunting is a secondary ripple effect of what are IMO much more important issues. My thoughts would be fix the first issues I feel are more concerning, and the rest will be come less of an issue.
But to highlight what he said, social media is a double edge sword. For as much good as it can promote and grow a business. It can equally or more so destroy the company and the end users.
The only answer to it all involves something we are not allowed to talk about on here.

Turkeys aren't participation trophies...shed antlers could certainly be considered as participation trophies though. Overall they aren't wrong, as with any part of the human experience, humans tend to be the part that makes it a terrible experience or one that we can't wait to have again

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Some good points. But in the end it comes off as disingenuous virtue signaling to sell their products. Should have wrapped it up sooner and let the message speak for itself.

I can agree with most of that. I don’t think that turkeys & sheds are participation trophies. I understand the point that he’s making though. There is only so much natural resource to go around. But if it’s 90/10 unsuccessful then we’re probably ok….. I think like any social media a lot of this was happening now it’s just visible.

I can agree with most of that. I don’t think that turkeys & sheds are participation trophies. I understand the point that he’s making though. There is only so much natural resource to go around. But if it’s 90/10 unsuccessful then we’re probably ok….. I think like any social media a lot of this was happening now it’s just visible.
How does it hurt that turkey hunting and shed hunting is visible. I'm just trying to understand his point.

Some good points. But in the end it comes off as disingenuous virtue signaling to sell their products. Should have wrapped it up sooner and let the message speak for itself.
I don't think anything he said rocked a boat. It's cool to hate influencers now. 5-10 years ago it was cool to hate "big hunting shows" and support randos with a camera. And before that the big hunting shows were cool because they showed "regular joes" who were clever enough to make a living doing what other Joes dreamed of doing.

That article is straight-up virtue-signaling to attract their target market.

I agree it's virtue signaling, but I'm glad thoughts like this are catching on. Some yin to the unrestrained yang of self-promotion is good for the sauce. It's all rather complicated, but I've seen direct and observable impacts from the boom in social media hunting that affect me personally, and that's where the border between feelings vs. facts, and thoughts vs. action lies with me.

I at least understood some of his points until he started his business model, its the literal 'but.....' in a conversation when you are trying to sell a product.

Any outdoor business out has the motto of TRYING to harm the environment or take unethical kills? I didn't think so.

I dislike the mentality of labelling anyone as an 'enemy'. Its a problem that this country has. If you think someone is out to get to, chances are you are going to take actions against these people or already have an opinion about them with biases.

How does it hurt that turkey hunting and shed hunting is visible. I'm just trying to understand his point.
Turkey hunting has always been visible to me so that part I don't understand. Shed hunting has gained alot of visibility since I got serious about hunting, sheds used to be picked up by farmers to keep them out of tractor tires, now they are a cottage industry that some people with no interest in harvesting deer or elk pursue. There's been regulatory changes in some western states do to concern over people following winter herds on snow mobiles and such and pushing them out of good wintering areas, increasing mortality, all to pick up fresh sheds as they drop them.

I don't think anything he said rocked a boat. It's cool to hate influencers now. 5-10 years ago it was cool to hate "big hunting shows" and support randos with a camera. And before that the big hunting shows were cool because they showed "regular joes" who were clever enough to make a living doing what other Joes dreamed of doing.

That article is straight-up virtue-signaling to attract their target market.
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. To clarify I have followed them on instagram for some time and I dont recall any post other than product shots. They may have posted some dead critters, I just dont remember them. It's always just really slick photography of arrows, broadheads or both. I get the impression this was genuine in intent and an effort at minimum to get people to think about what they do and post to SM. I concede I may be giving them more credit than deserved.

Turkey hunting has always been visible to me so that part I don't understand. Shed hunting has gained alot of visibility since I got serious about hunting, sheds used to be picked up by farmers to keep them out of tractor tires, now they are a cottage industry that some people with no interest in harvesting deer or elk pursue. There's been regulatory changes in some western states do to concern over people following winter herds on snow mobiles and such and pushing them out of good wintering areas, increasing mortality, all to pick up fresh sheds as they drop them.
It is completely out of hand out west in places.

It is completely out of hand out west in places.
I've heard some reports of places like Iowa and Illinois being just as bad, everyone wants to have giant antlers but getting a tag, much less filling it, is too long a wait with too much work associated with it

The hardcore shed hunters are after the $.

I have an issue with monetizing any resource obtained on public land without proper remuneration. That goes for everything, timber, animals, berries, plants, mushrooms, whatever.

Those are inherent flaws with the revered North American Conservation Model that go way, way beyond the age of social media. It's better than Europe but it's far from perfect.

That is the extent that I care about it. I don't think social media will destroy hunting, it's just made a whole generation of them insufferable douchebags.

I agree that hunting media - including hunting social media - incentivizes, normalizes, and rewards unethical or otherwise "bad" hunting conduct and poor sportsmanship. I think it's admirable that they are making a business decision to not reward these things. Not only to anti-hunters abhor images of dead animals, but many hunters find the recorded performances and smack-talk distasteful, as well. I seem to recall a recent thread on here about "smoked him!" statements on hunting videos. I see this as trying to influence the industry, influence his customers, and... I don't know, raise the bar? Inspire hunters to elegance or gentlemanly sportsmanship? Either way, I appreciate his point. That said I'm happy with my Eastons and Ethics and single-bevels so...

I think he’s saying that there’s a lot of content creators not successful in the fall & those activities make content with a higher success rate. Steering an extra amount of people towards those natural limited resources. I’m not sure I buy that…..

I agree with most of what they said about the hunting industry, but aren't they inadvertently doing the same thing––self-promoting––by making a company statement poo-pooing their competition and publicly "taking the high road?"

The only messaging I care about hearing from any hunting company is if their products are made in the USA

Back