• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Frustrated

Ckwilli

SH Member
We had a 30 degree drop in temps last night so I figured this AM would be a good morning to put some meat in my empty freezer. However, for the second time I've had a hunt ruined by my neighbors dogs. We went through this last season when his dogs busted a descent buck that I was about to draw back on. This morning his dogs repeated the feat except on a group of does. I have a small 10 acre patch of timber so I really can't move any further away from him. He did get rid of the deer chasers from last season but his wife replaced them with a whole new gang of mongrels. I've spent way to much money on new arrows, broadheads, release, RCH, etc. etc. My kids and I also spent this summer putting in a food plot so we can enjoy this deer season. Anyone ever dealt with dogs running deer? I'm a little too pissed right now to have a conversation with him. I apologize for the rant, thanks for listening.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

We had a 30 degree drop in temps last night so I figured this AM would be a good morning to put some meat in my empty freezer. However, for the second time I've had a hunt ruined by my neighbors dogs. We went through this last season when his dogs busted a descent buck that I was about to draw back on. This morning his dogs repeated the feat except on a group of does. I have a small 10 acre patch of timber so I really can't move any further away from him. He did get rid of the deer chasers from last season but his wife replaced them with a whole new gang of mongrels. I've spent way to much money on new arrows, broadheads, release, RCH, etc. etc. My kids and I also spent this summer putting in a food plot so we can enjoy this deer season. Anyone ever dealt with dogs running deer? I'm a little too pissed right now to have a conversation with him. I apologize for the rant, thanks for listening.

Make it known you have the right to defend your property and his animals are not welcome to it. If he doesn't take you serious you can go the humane route and leash his dogs once on your property and bring them to the pound. Leave the collars and tags in his mailbox. This topic holds a sweet, special place in my heart... My neighbors think I'm a psychopath nowadays from the events they have seen unfold on my property/in my front yard. :blush:

Call you conservation officer and let him know. You dont have to deal with the dogs personally..Or a dog control officer if you have one. Or the sheriff. Someone should have a talk with your neighbor. The dog pound is a good idea too,it costs money to get your dog back from them.

Years ago, I had an incident where the country dogs were allowed to run free. I was sitting in my car, just waiting and enjoying the morning...about to get out of my vehicle. My window was down...all of a sudden a large dog jumped into my window and tried to bite me on the face. I pushed it out and left my area...got to the end of the driveway and then realized I was leaving a vicious dog for someone else to deal with. I turned around and drove back to take care of that dangerous situation. Sure enough, I turned off the truck and that durn dog just jumped again into my window and tried to bite me. Driver's side at that...he met two rounds center mass of my .40 and the problem was over. Took the dog to the neighbor who was not happy but at the same time not surprised that the dog met a quick end. He knew it was getting out and was aggressive. Left the dog, some words of advice and eventually moved away from that state and location. As far as your concerned...I'd trap the dogs as well as you can...get them to come to you and take them to the pound. Mail the collars to the owners.

So put the dogs in the freezer instead. JK don’t do that. That does suck though... I had a couple hunts ruined a couple years ago by dogs. Was on public land though so wasn’t a lot I could do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd try the neighborly thing and attempt to talk to the neighbor once your calm. Plan it out, write it down and make be known that if he does not solve the problem then you'll take to the law. If you have to take to the law and they don't solve the problem as much a dog person I am I'd have to do the 3 S's.

I talked with him and he said he would put them up if I would let him know when I was hunting. I don't always know when I'm going to get to hunt though. I guess my problem now is that i feel like I need to make a reservation to use my own property. I guess its a start. I hope he likes getting a call at 5:00AM.

I like the “text him every. single. day at 4am” route. Bet after a week or so he’ll keep the dogs locked up. Also like the call LE route. This day and age we live in can’t be too careful. That doesn’t work then i guess it’s off to the pound

Around my area the law has directed me that there is a leash law in our state and between you me and the fence post what ever happens happens. Had numerous rounds with my neighbors also. Not so much when hunting but I have a couple of very small teacup yorkies and a coon hound. We worry about the yorkies running outside and having an encounter with the neighbors lab. Although I dont think a lab would do harm on purpose, but that said he may think he is playing and hurt 1 pretty bad. I have an in ground fence for my hound he can keep his at home just the same.

please don't say you shot a dog around here last time a guy was crucified because of a sign on the road about a lady letting her dogs run and it came home with an arrow in it and she had to explain to her daughter how her dog that had never left the yard before was shot by a worthless hunter

SSS

Around my area the law has directed me that there is a leash law in our state and between you me and the fence post what ever happens happens. Had numerous rounds with my neighbors also. Not so much when hunting but I have a couple of very small teacup yorkies and a coon hound. We worry about the yorkies running outside and having an encounter with the neighbors lab. Although I don't think a lab would do harm on purpose, but that said he may think he is playing and hurt 1 pretty bad. I have an in ground fence for my hound he can keep his at home just the same.
we went through this with our last neighbor, we had a very protective American bulldog that killed one of her weenier dogs in our yard, she called the sheriff and told on us and ended up with a lease law ticket and a court date, apparently he didn't appreciate roaming dogs. She actually brought her dogs to use the restroom in our yard

This might fall under the "hunter harassment" clause, or dogs running at large clause. I would contact the sheriff or DNR.

I imagine talking to the neighbor wont be productive, but maybe if you insinuate that you are hunting and dont want to injure their animal accidently it might be best if they keep them in in the morning or evening.

I would carry some blunt tips and practice.

He's actually a really good neighbor. He told me last season he didn't like dogs and would get rid of all of them but his wife would have a fit. I don't live on the property I just hunt there and It's in the county so we don't have any leash laws or animal control. Shoot, our town is so small that we don't have law enforcement coverage. I guess I can blame myself to a certain extent because I haven't scouted anywhere else to hunt. I figured the dog problem was over after last season.

I don't know if it will make you feel better, but I just had 3 minutes of a helicopter circling, maybe 150' off the ground covering the area where most of my deer walk out from tons of emergency service vehicles have passed recently as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I don't know if it will make you feel better, but I just had 3 minutes of a helicopter circling, maybe 150' off the ground covering the area where most of my deer walk out from tons of emergency service vehicles have passed recently as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
They aren't looking for you are they?

Back