• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Full stand platform...and how.?

Carcher87

As I would love to have an Assassin I do not. I am fumbling around with multiple ideas and solutions until I find my ideal platform. However weight isn't a Huge issue with me, comfort and mobility around the tree is. I have 3 stands all 8lbs or under I could modify. I am curious does anyone use a full size platform as a saddle platform? I could use my original LW at 8.10lbs, My Loc On Limit at 5.10lbs or Cheap seat at 6.3lbs. Besides the LW klem seat platform. Has anyone cut or modified a stand to have a lightweight yet, sizable platform.

There's several guys using a saddle with a loc-on limit or windwalker. I acquired one just for that purpose, but haven't actually used it. It would definitely work, but you lose out on the weight/bulk savings.

I think @elk yinzer has done this

I do. I like it a lot, to have different options. I’ll choose based on a sort of continuum of distance/brush/duration on stand.

As of today I’ll have a small/medium/large platform!

My smallest platform is a DIY “Klemz”, from a cut LW Assault. It weighs about 3.5 pounds and is roughly the size of the Tethrd Predator.

Medium is a Loc On Windwalker. I’ve been chasing one down for years, found one Sunday, and it is supposed to arrive in the mail today! Really psyched to have that to play around with. I think it might just be the sweet spot I am looking for.

Larger platform is an XOP Air Raid. I took the seat off. All day sits I might throw it back on there. I did a little quick video how I use that setup here Super Deluxe Platform. I think it's a great option. Let's be real, most places carrying a treestand really ain't that bad.

With the XOP, if you just cam it down, side pressure can move the platform or I guess kick it out. I just run a second cambuckle through the bottom of the platform. I find that works to stabilize it a lot better than the lower versa button even.

I really like the versatility of being able to shoot 360, but still be able to stand. I am comfortable standing and rest my legs by leaning. Even treestand hunting for 20 years, I stand most of the time.

I have no issues seamlessly going between treestand style and saddle style. You obviously introduce some shock loading potential when you stand and put slack on your tether. I never have much slack, and feel confident it is a safe setup for me. I can shoot 360 even on some pretty large trees, with no need to do the walk around the tree maneuver.

Options are great. It’s certainly not for everyone. To me there is no one-size-fits all approach.

I was going to use my limit or cheap seat as a deluxe. I know I'm selling 1 of those stands. Just not sure which one.

I prefer my Limit stand over anything that I've tried, but the Predator platform is a close second choice and a first choice when my hunts are long distances from the truck. I like being able to shoot off the larger platform like I've done for the past 45 years.

IMG_1239 (2).JPGIMG_1249 (2).JPGIMG_1256 (2).JPG

I prefer my Limit stand over anything that I've tried, but the Predator platform is a close second choice and a first choice when my hunts are long distances from the truck. I like being able to shoot off the larger platform like I've done for the past 45 years.

View attachment 6229View attachment 6230View attachment 6231
Dont you have issues with it kicking out when you put side pressure on it? It doesnt look like you have a strap along the bottom. I have a half dozen various old Loc Ons, its intriguing to use it as a platform for a all day sit.

Dont you have issues with it kicking out when you put side pressure on it? It doesnt look like you have a strap along the bottom. I have a half dozen various old Loc Ons, its intriguing to use it as a platform for a all day sit.

Actually the only times that I used my Limit for a platform was on a couple of occasions when I used spurs to climb the tree. During those time I didn't have need to apply side pressure. I really don't think it would be necessary to put side pressure on it. My plan for a shot would be to loosen my tether so that I'm able to stand up and take shots like I did when I was hunting with a rock climbing harness. I've done that practicing for the real thing without any problems. For all practical purposes I'm just replacing a rock climbing harness with a saddle for safety and comfort. Also, just to take a break I can fold the stand seat down and sit on it. Like it was stated..... it's the best of both worlds.

I just bought an original 8.3lb LW & a 9.5lb to serve double duty

Either is still lighter and quieter than carrying and using my climber

Can face tree as a platform or face away in standard hunting mode

Certain trees I can only get a view or shot from front of the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back