• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

GA Deer Coming On Strong

DirtMover

Things are looking good in. Northwest GA. My buddy checked his trail camera this evening and saw these boys in waiting.
I’m getting real excited only a few weeks to go!

Attachments

• 8576EC6E-8045-40DE-992C-4B99F13A0071.jpeg
    8576EC6E-8045-40DE-992C-4B99F13A0071.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 97A4BC58-7C29-4A21-A2A4-4270C2CA022C.jpeg
    97A4BC58-7C29-4A21-A2A4-4270C2CA022C.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 19554858-BBFF-40AC-978A-34EE91A27277.jpeg
    19554858-BBFF-40AC-978A-34EE91A27277.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 7C4924B8-3B85-483F-8956-B432F2E6F0BC.jpeg
    7C4924B8-3B85-483F-8956-B432F2E6F0BC.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 108
Hard horned already? I’m a few miles south of you and the bucks I’m watching are still full velvet. That’s awesome. Definitely gets the blood flowing. Good luck my man

Good luck! I've got a couple of good ones on cam in Southeast GA that are on a daylight pattern still. Anxiously waiting for the opener and hoping they stay around.

I think we are all anxiously awaiting the opener, and hoping these creatures cooperate!! I know I am for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a few hard horned on a CNF cam the other day- they were still grouped up, but hard horned... Big too.
I am hoping something happens to bring back the NoGA mountain deer population, but I am not sure that's going to happen in my lifetime.

And a massive arctic blast so the highs will only be mid 80s

Yes please. It’s been borderline unbearable these last few days. This after a fairly mild June and July. It’s been wild

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pic 1.jpgpic 2.jpg

Here he is again and I'm happy to see him visiting the feed station in daylight. I've zeroed in on his bedding area so hopefully the wind will be right next weekend to get in close and hopefully he will show up. Getting excited. By the way.....What's up with his rear end? Looks like he's got some issues.
There are several decent bucks showing up most are still in velvet and only a couple are hard horn. There are a few trees around getting rubbed up and a scrape being visited. So far the persimmon trees look good and some white oaks are starting to drop acorns.

Last edited:
My buddy has some hard horned in Resaca right now. It's that time!

We’re all hard down here outside of Athens, if ya know what I mean

But seriously, I have a bachelor group that’s still together. 2 are hard horned 1 is still full velvet. I have always wondered if it’s the daylight in a 24 hr period that gets them rubbing, like it effects the does going into heat. And if these are still together, how does the one buck look at the other two tearing trees up and not have any urge to do the same? Crazy to me

I went and visited with my parental units today and watched chasing thru the binoculars out in the marsh....seen at least 4 different bucks....3 little guys and 1 nice 1..... appears the rut is on in St Augustine FL....

We’re all hard down here outside of Athens, if ya know what I mean

But seriously, I have a bachelor group that’s still together. 2 are hard horned 1 is still full velvet. I have always wondered if it’s the daylight in a 24 hr period that gets them rubbing, like it effects the does going into heat. And if these are still together, how does the one buck look at the other two tearing trees up and not have any urge to do the same? Crazy to me

What's crazy is the majority of the bucks on his cams are still in velvet. 2 of 8 bucks are hard horned on one property. You can tell the testosterone is building in them. He's had one 3yo on cam that has been pushing all the deer around, even the bigger older bucks. The last video he showed me was of the big guy running off the one that had been running him around before. I'm hoping they hang around for him. He possibly has the county record for bow if he happens to get him.

What's crazy is the majority of the bucks on his cams are still in velvet. 2 of 8 bucks are hard horned on one property. You can tell the testosterone is building in them. He's had one 3yo on cam that has been pushing all the deer around, even the bigger older bucks. The last video he showed me was of the big guy running off the one that had been running him around before. I'm hoping they hang around for him. He possibly has the county record for bow if he happens to get him.

Yeah that’s awesome. Hope he gets one of them down!

It finally got down to 60 here this morning. I woke up and my neck started swelling up, so i know the deer are feeling it too lol

Nice! I don't have that great of pics of bucks, but am just as excited to try out some new spots I have been scouting in North GA. Also excited to give my Phantom and Predator their first hunts... Good luck to you guys!

I had a few hard horned on a CNF cam the other day- they were still grouped up, but hard horned... Big too.
I am hoping something happens to bring back the NoGA mountain deer population, but I am not sure that's going to happen in my lifetime.

Agreed. UGA deer lab has guys stationed at blue ridge WMA studying the decline population. The main contributing factor appears to be lack of fawn recruitment. Mainly due to increased predator numbers and lack of good fawn hiding spots. I actually talked to them while i was scouting, and they pretty much told me we were crazy for wanting to deer hunt there. There are a few big ones, but they are sparse

Back