• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gathering of the Hoofalos

sureshotscott

Staff member
SH Member
Today is the 1st day the folks in Brownville Maine filled the feeders and the cams are rolling:

The guy rolls in around 9am every day to fill the feeders. Sometimes deer are hitting the 1st feeder before he's done filling the last one. I think this goes on until March or April.

I'm in the fortunate position of working on a computer most of the day and have ability to set one screen to watching them while I work. Things I've learned:
  • The juvenile deer see this almost as a party. They occasionally "dance" around like children when the crowd gets large.
  • Mature bucks are given a wide berth. Any deer approaching a feeder with a mature buck there is extremely timid and careful. Lesser deer at a feeder will retreat if a mature buck approaches.
  • When a feeder gets crowded, the does can get pretty feisty with one another. Lots of posturing and kicking. Reminds me of 8th grade.
  • Never, ever, read the chat stream. These are a 98% New Jersey catladies who treat the chat like a knitting circle. "Hunting" talk is strictly verboten. The chat stream is a road to madness.
Other than the chat stream, the Brownville deer cams are cool for watching critters and avoiding the news. :)

Got my spots picked out... Just kidding, I live way too far away. This is cool.

Attachments

• stand sites.jpg
    stand sites.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 34
Back