• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear Review: Scentlok Timberfleece Radar-style Headcover

d_rek

Wondering if the Timberfleece Radar-style Headcover from Scentlok are good for saddle hunting? Find out here.
http://www.scentlok.com/shop/products/accessories/headcovers/timberfleece-radar-style-headcover/

MSRP/Purchased Price:
$39.99/$29.99 on sale

Purchased from:
bought at ****'s Sporting Goods

Initial Impressions:
I bought this headcover on sale in-season. I was excited to have a heavy-duty carbon-activated headcover to use instead of my UA scent control facemask for when days really got cold and windy. The fit was good and it seemed like it would be a really warm garment. The fidelity of the camo pattern on the high-loft fleece is not exceptional, but does a passable job. I liked that it had a drawstring for around the nose and forehead to tighten up the headcover.

Quality:
The quality of construction is very good. I could not find any loose or broken threads. The materials were all high-quality and the drawstrings looked durable enough to last a few seasons, or longer.

Sizing & Fit:
Slightly oversized, but you can tighten down with the drawstrings. The neck gaiter is long enough to drape around a collar or tuck into a jacket/shirt.

Features:
The best thing I liked about this headcover was that there was a thinner material over the ears that you could cover with the earflap. One of the biggest problems i have wearing heavier knit or beanie hats in colder weather is how much they limit my already poor hearing. This seemed like it would remedy that well. And it did work pretty well. You can wear the cap with the stocking part 'rolled up' so that you can hear better, or you can roll it down slightly to cover the ears.

It also has two drawstrings around the nose and the forehead of the garment to tighten down. You will find that untightened this garment wears a little loose. Tightening down is not that difficult and create a snug fit around the forehead and nose.

It also has a long neck gaiter that you can drap around the collar of your jacket or tuck into it. I prefer it tucked in as it keeps wind off my neck better.

Field-tested?
Yes. Used for 3 sits of the 2014 MI hunting season.

Ok, while this is a really warm and great headcover it is NOT good for bowhunting - something I did not anticipate when I first picked up this garment at the store. There is simply too much bulk material around your anchor points (knuckle behind ear, tip of nose, corner of mouth) that complicates bowhunting in a couple of ways. First you cannot feel yourself anchoring against the thick fleece, which is incredibly important for consistent shot placement and peep alignment. Second the bulk of the garment demands you adjust your anchor and/or site to compensate for poor anchoring. In the end it was more trouble to use this headcover for bowhunting than it was worth.

That being said this is a great headcover for firearms hunting, since you don't run into the complications you do when bowhunting with it. I wore it for firearms once in the saddle and twice in a ground blind.

Closing thoughts:
A very warm, well-made headcover that is great for firearms, but not for bowhunting.

Recommended for use with a saddle?
Yes - but ONLY for use with firearms. I do not recommend for bowhunting both with and without a saddle.

Back