• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear Strap from the Saddle?

Layercakesss29

Hey guys,

What is everyone using to strap their gear to the tree while in the saddle? I’ve seen the Tethrd HYS, I know Trophyline has one as well; it’s more of a preference than anything though, I believe.

Anybody have a DIY strap or Amazon version they run? I know it’s a simple concept, so what’s the easiest way to run?

For this season I copied a setup I saw @boyne bowhunter had who I think copied it from someone else. Basically some paracord and paracord prusiks with carabiners. For a bow hanger it uses a Cable Cuff PRO from the hardware store. Very lightweight.

Might have to find a beefier system to hold my rifle come gun season.

I've made like two out of 550 cord, one out of clothesline cord, and just saw that Walmart is selling a gear hanger that I'm going to have to experiment with. This is something that is incredibly easy to overthink and over complicate.

The cleverest thing I saw was a couple of paracord loops tied to a day pack to wrap around the tree. I think it had a monkey's fist on one side and a prussic or knotted daisy chain on the other to secure it.

Easiest is probably a 6'-8' chunk of 550 cord with a figure-8 loop on either end. Girth hitch through the loop on one end, hang your pack off the hangy-down part, and clip a couple of accessory 'biners or S-hooks on there. Put a couple of S-hooks or something on your tether for your bow and quiver. You're out the cost of the hooks, unless you have to go out and buy a hank of paracord.

You might spend some time on the DIY forum - start with the earliest posts as things were a bit more chaotic back in the day before commercial products came out - and see what solutions others have come up with. Or just get some paracord and hooks at the hardware store and go hunting.

7/64" daisy chained amsteel with 2 Nite Ize S-biners. 1 s-biner modified with one snap removed to hold the bow and one s-biner for my backpack. Super compact, lightweight and doubles as a foot loop if needed for self-rescue.

That looks pretty cool. Does the tension on the G hook stay solid all day? Does it want to loosen at all?
Haven't used it yet, just made it. But I made a belt like it and it holds well. I cannot sew so I used a triglide.

And you’re done……

Just buy a tethrd HYS strap. Doesn’t cost much and it will better than anything you build. I have a kydex clip that slides right into one of slots that is attached to my bow as a hanger.
I ran the same system for a while, with the kydex on my bow and quiver. I didn’t like the hys strap only because it took up a lot of real estate. I switched to a amsteel daisy chain that has loops just like the hys strap with a cam jam on it. It packs down to nothing

Like most things it’ll be personal preference

I bought the hammock straps on Amazon. Was like 2 for $12. They were good enough

I now use a piece of 550 cord and girth hitch it to the tree. I then put a hero clip on that. Doesn’t weight anything and takes up basically no room

My pack then holds it tight to the tree

And you’re done……

I have an original version with the plastic buckle. Works great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accessory Hook Belt 2X Treestand, Treestand Accessories – Hunting Treestand Accessory Hanger with 3 Large Hooks, Tree Stand Hooks, Treestand Gear Hooks, Bowhunting Accessory Belt https://a.co/d/a9IDJTa

I’ve used one of these for my pack forever.

I’ve just been using my linesman’s belt girth hitched around the tree the past couple years. Just clip my hero clip and S biners onto it. Dual purpose so I don’t have to bring an extra strap in my pack.

Back