• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gearhead Short Axle Bows

kmleach

Vendor Rep
Has anyone used or shot these short 18”-24” axle to axle bows that Gearhead Archery offers? I just came across them online yesterday watching product review videos from the ATA show and they look like a really interesting concept that’s well executed. Seems like they would be the perfect match for a highly mobile saddle hunting setup assuming they shoot as well as the videos claim.

Shot one at my local shop just for the heck of it ..I walked away pleasently surprised.

After shooting a 36” bow for 6 years 18” would feel like I’m missing something lol.... I’d like to see one in person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After shooting a 36” bow for 6 years 18” would feel like I’m missing something lol.... I’d like to see one in person!

Borders has a few hanging on the shelf ....that’s where I shot one.

20” of awesomeness!

57262dca104f7e360d066be53649d7f6.jpg

57fc1e562218d64ba1a0cac1b45e845d.jpg

Do you think accuracy at long distance is similar?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Not sure yet. I put a couple of groups down range at 40 yards roughly softball size. I don’t have any stabilization on this bow and don’t plan on adding any. It’s extremely stable as it is. This is the first compound I’ve owned in a decade so I’m still getting used to it. But I don’t think longer ranges are going to be an issue.

Several folks have played with the idea over the years. Here's one design:

http://libertyarchery.com/BowReports.html

Hickory Creek also makes a mini-vertical crossbow that is basically the same thing, but with a draw-loc. I've been eyeballing one for a while.

There was another one that was held like a slingshot. Can't remember the name. Definitely an interesting concept. Handy for stalking pigs, and easy to get over a bridge.

20” of awesomeness!

57262dca104f7e360d066be53649d7f6.jpg

57fc1e562218d64ba1a0cac1b45e845d.jpg

Bow looks awesome!

Is that the B20 or T20? It looks like the new B20 specs have it almost a pound heavier than the T20 aluminum version but more adjustable and can accommodate longer draw lengths, something I need since I’m a 30” draw.

Bow looks awesome!

Is that the B20 or T20? It looks like the new B20 specs have it almost a pound heavier than the T20 aluminum version but more adjustable and can accommodate longer draw lengths, something I need since I’m a 30” draw.

It’s the B20

I have about 1/2 of the money for the B20-24. Just need to sell a few mor items. Being impatient sucks...I am almost ready to sell my tenpoint shadow nxt to get this bow...almost

I’m bringing a small Block target and some field points to Saddlepalooza. Anyone who wants is welcome to shoot it.

I handled the B24 today for the first time and I have to admit I'm pretty impressed with it. The balance in hand is very nice. From some guys I spoke with the 24 is a nicer shooting bow than the 18 or the 20. I'm really considering one of these. Unfortunately I didn't get to shoot it so that is my next step

Back