• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gearhead X16?

Plebe

SH Member
Anyone have experience with the Gearhead X16 series?

Researching x-bows for somebody, who discovered Mission doesn't make a NY legal x-bow anymore (17" limb-limb min. uncocked).

I've discovered neither does Ravin nor TenPoint. As of this year, the Scorpyd Deathstalker does't make 17" anymore. There are a few Wicked Ridge and Centerpoint and PSE and Killer Instinct models that are legal. Of course there's the kool-aid too.

But I came across the X16. It's interesting that it shoots arrows (not bolts) through a Whisker Biscuit rest.

Wondering if anyone loves/hates one, or otherwise.

Thanks.

D3151D41-8A32-43D2-B2BA-189A17B0A672.png

Last edited:
Sorry to hyjack your thread. Really interesting they have any requirements on that. Just leaves me wondering why.
Some of the Tenpoints are nice. If I was going to get a decent prices crossbow but not spend a ton of money I’d look into tenpoints. Idk much about crossbows so that probably doesn’t help mucb

Sorry to hyjack your thread. Really interesting they have any requirements on that. Just leaves me wondering why.
Some of the Tenpoints are nice. If I was going to get a decent prices crossbow but not spend a ton of money I’d look into tenpoints. Idk much about crossbows so that probably doesn’t help mucb

I can’t speak to the background of the rule. But, there is a bill in review to do away with the limb-limb length restriction.

Tenpoint doesn't have a NY legal bow right now, but is parent company of Wicked Ridge which does. There's one coming out in April which will get a hard look.

Again, this isn't for me. But I said I'd keep an ear out for options. Outside of the HC and X16, the other legal x-bows mostly seem a lot alike. There's 50 pages on kool aid, so I thought I'd ask on the X16. I think it's at least interesting.

I never shot one but saw one at LAS a couple of years ago and picked it up to look at it and handle it. Pretty nice piece IMHO. The bridge- like riser of all GH bows is lighter but inherently just as strong if not stronger than many other riser designs.

I have also heard about the potential limb width amendment, but I can't believe how many people are actually anti-crossbow in NYS. There is typically at least one editorial article every other week in NYON both advocating for and against crossbows. That being said, I'm not hearing a lot of issues with GLV's being written up on non-spec. limb width crossbows in NYS either. But it certainly is a rule right now in the regulation book.

I never shot one but saw one at LAS a couple of years ago and picked it up to look at it and handle it. Pretty nice piece IMHO. The bridge- like riser of all GH bows is lighter but inherently just as strong if not stronger than many other riser designs.

I have also heard about the potential limb width amendment, but I can't believe how many people are actually anti-crossbow in NYS. There is typically at least one editorial article every other week in NYON both advocating for and against crossbows. That being said, I'm not hearing a lot of issues with GLV's being written up on non-spec. limb width crossbows in NYS either. But it certainly is a rule right now in the regulation book.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been reading up a bit on them at crossbownation recently too.

I don't crossbow hunt, but am surprised there's such dissension in NY, at least a amongst hunters.

Watching some of my family and friends age out of regular archery, I'm so happy they can get out there with a crossbow. My dad's last buck was with a crossbow, I'm hoping there are still more to come. Conventional archers still have the early season all to themselves, but crossbow is about perfect for aging hunters. By the time gun season rolls around, our older hunters aren't situated to deal with the extreme cold we often get, and it's too dang hot for them to hike about early on.

Back