• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting my cranford rope steps in today....

Jwiggins762

So I ordered a pack of 4 cranford rope steps and they should be delivering today. I've never used sticks or any other method of climbing besides my climber. I did buy 3 we steps a month ago. 2 of those will be my platform for this season. Anyways I was planning on getting either the muddy pro sticks or hawk heliums, but if I like these cranfords then they will be my climbing method for this season. For the guys who use or have used these is there a learning curve and do you have any tips for someone new to climbing?

I would say they’re pretty user friendly out of the box. Make sure the loop goes in deep on the hook and stays there or the hook will pry open and that could lead to bad things.

There is a recent thread on here about using a timber hitch. Seems a good enough alternative to the standard method. Not sure it’s better for me personally. Still playing with them.

I am giving them a go this year. Don’t have the link but on YT is a short video from the company on setting them. The method he shows makes the original rope sling much easier to work with. I was just slapping them on and jerking on the rope...PITA. Also if you take a moment at the base of your tree and roughly preset the ropes less hassle when your hanging from your linesman’s belt. There is another link on here and YT video from Nutterbuster where guys have taken the loop out and timber hitch them instead of using the sling. Tried both and just going with the original for now.

Personally I like them, solid and have had no kick out issues. Slower than sticks of course but I HATE carrying sticks. I should probably try one sticking....

What he said ^^^^^. Your post wasn’t up when I was pecking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am giving them a go this year. Don’t have the link but on YT is a short video from the company on setting them. The method he shows makes the original rope sling much easier to work with. I was just slapping them on and jerking on the rope...PITA. Also if you take a moment at the base of your tree and roughly preset the ropes less hassle when your hanging from your linesman’s belt. There is another link on here and YT video from Nutterbuster where guys have taken the loop out and timber hitch them instead of using the sling. Tried both and just going with the original for now.

Personally I like them, solid and have had no kick out issues. Slower than sticks of course but I HATE carrying sticks. I should probably try one sticking....

What he said ^^^^^. Your post wasn’t up when I was pecking

I think this is the video your were talking about:

I'm gonna work with them, I have time before the muddy pros are available. So if I can get proficient at them its gonna be my climbing method and not going to buy sticks this year.

Has anyone had any issues with the cranford ezy rope step on pine trees?

Oh yeah that’s some good tips from EZY climb. Gotta try that!

I was struggling with them then found that vid...tried it and thought “wait a minute this is too easy....”. Not to hijack but saw in one of other posts you were carrying 7 steps I think....how are you using them and how high?

I was struggling with them then found that vid...tried it and thought “wait a minute this is too easy....”. Not to hijack but saw in one of other posts you were carrying 7 steps I think....how are you using them and how high?

Im also wanting to know how high with 7 steps, i climbed with my 4 and a we step got to 13 ft. We step was 4 ft from the ground(1st step). Wanting to lose the we step and get 8 more cranfords. Ive only climbed once but, i think this is my go to for the year...

That video made it look way too easy! My plan was for WE Stepps and a 5 step aider when I want to go in light, but I’m now rethinking that. What’s one more climbing method anyway?

That video made it look way too easy! My plan was for WE Stepps and a 5 step aider when I want to go in light, but I’m now rethinking that. What’s one more climbing method anyway?

Yea i need to sell 3 we steps, i can only have 1 climbing method this year. My wife is starting to notice the $$ ive been spending....

I haven’t settled yet but I’m heading towards using a moveable aider to skip a step and get about 3ft per step. Install a step at waist level and one at head level. Use the top step to hook the aider to. Who had that video of this???

Back