• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ghillie suits

Vtbow

Ok guys, sound like @Bwhana uses one, I know @DaveT1963 uses one. Who else out there uses a ghillie? WHos got some tips and tricks for me. I picked up a ranco safari shaggie, with face mask and shaggie boonie and am getting excited to give it a try. Hopeing it will work great in overgrown pastrure with bushes and high grass, but no trees. I still need to trim the bow arm down a little, but ordered a long arm guard to help. Any other thoughts? Thanks!!!!

Ok guys, sound like @Bwhana uses one, I know @DaveT1963 uses one. Who else out there uses a ghillie? WHos got some tips and tricks for me. I picked up a ranco safari shaggie, with face mask and shaggie boonie and am getting excited to give it a try. Hopeing it will work great in overgrown pastrure with bushes and high grass, but no trees. I still need to trim the bow arm down a little, but ordered a long arm guard to help. Any other thoughts? Thanks!!!!
I always wondered about the arm and bowstring problem! I figured you would have to trim it!

I wear one a lot when hunting wood ducks. Just a cheap, mesh leafy suit. I feel like it helps.

I used to use it a lot for deer and hog hunting. I worked at a store unloading trucks 2 days a week from around 4am to noon. I would knock off and run to a WMA about 15 minutes up the road. I would walk in with it in my pack, and put it on over my work clothes once i got to the tree.

There's no such thing as a cool ghillie suit in the south. Even the mesh one would feel like a sauna.

I wear one a lot when hunting wood ducks. Just a cheap, mesh leafy suit. I feel like it helps.

I used to use it a lot for deer and hog hunting. I worked at a store unloading trucks 2 days a week from around 4am to noon. I would knock off and run to a WMA about 15 minutes up the road. I would walk in with it in my pack, and put it on over my work clothes once i got to the tree.

There's no such thing as a cool ghillie suit in the south. Even the mesh one would feel like a sauna.
Good think it wont get above 60 here for the next 8 or so months...

I have a leafy bug suit that I use alot for early season I have had it for a long time and it works great but I really want a real ghillie suit, just because I do lol!

I have a leafy bug suit that I use alot for early season I have had it for a long time and it works great but I really want a real ghillie suit, just because I do lol!
I went back and forth on what I Was going to get, but this deal came up on ebay for the suit with two masks, and 2 boonies I couldnt resist, and I had wanted to get a good face mask and shaggie boonie for use with my ghost blind anyway....I pretty much paid what I would have for a shaggie boonie hat for the whole package.

I went back and forth on what I Was going to get, but this deal came up on ebay for the suit with two masks, and 2 boonies I couldnt resist, and I had wanted to get a good face mask and shaggie boonie for use with my ghost blind anyway....I pretty much paid what I would have for a shaggie boonie hat for the whole package.
That was a great deal! And a ghost blind is another thing I have always wanted but that's another subject! When was that deal if you don't mind me asking?

That was a great deal! And a ghost blind is another thing I have always wanted but that's another subject! When was that deal if you don't mind me asking?
I got it on ebay like 2+ weeks ago ish. Theres a really good deal on a cabelas ghillie right now with stalker syle boots and gloves as well:
seems to be a less shaggie version, and the facemask is a leafy style. I really wanted a "Poncho" style long coat which is why I passed on this. I dont think pants are necessary.

My son has a sapper kill suit he used for the first time last year and had 2 does walk within 10 yards of him. Only spooked when he drew his bow, otherwise they were browsing with him in plain sight, sitting in a lawn chair just inside the weeds from their field corner. His is dark green. I want a tan grass colored one for the CRP fields near us. The bucks here aren't stupid. They travel across those treeless fields, and don't come near the trees, so that's where I want to get.

I got it on ebay like 2+ weeks ago ish. Theres a really good deal on a cabelas ghillie right now with stalker syle boots and gloves as well:
seems to be a less shaggie version, and the facemask is a leafy style. I really wanted a "Poncho" style long coat which is why I passed on this. I dont think pants are necessary.
Thanks I will check this out!

That one is rather dark too. No matter what you get, don't be afraid to hit it with flat camo paint if needed to break it up even more. It works fine and I have touched up mine with various colors. Almost all camo on the market is too dark or solid. Hang it on a bush in the woods or field, step back 20-60 yds, and then keep touching it up until it vanishes by matching real colors.

The other thing that is basic level, but may help someone reading with less experience is to always have some cover behind, or in front, or preferably both, even with the ghillie. It will work very well on its own, but it is not an invisibility cloak. A splash of cover never hurts your cause, doesn't take much!

I use just a sniper viper hood, lightweight and affordable. Not to mention it rolls up and fits inside a pack real nice! You can buy your own different colored yarn off amazon as well to customize it to where you're hunting. I love it cuz it only covers the important parts which is the head and upper body and leaves the rest of the body totally unrestricted! Figured most people sit or kneel with them on anyways so why have pants so they can just collect burrs and debris.

Attachments

• 617fLvbKbbL._SL1000_.jpg
    617fLvbKbbL._SL1000_.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I use the version from Cabela's. It was the Open Country and I dyed it. Trimmed the left arm and where the string may contact. I'll take a pic later. It disappears.

I've worn a 3D leafy suit (far from a gilly suit) but it definitely seems to help, especially in early fall when the leaves are blowing, the 3D leafs also blow around and I feel you don't look like a solid blob with the little bit of leaf movement.

I’ve not had good luck with mine. Burrs have pretty much made it inoperable after 2 uses. It was a total waste of $65. It’s sitting downstairs with the burrs still in it from 5 years ago because removing some makes others stick worse.
I’m sure lots of people can attest the virtues, but if I had to buy another one I’d probably just make one, or spend the extra $$ on a legit military ghillie.

I use just a sniper viper hood, lightweight and affordable. Not to mention it rolls up and fits inside a pack real nice! You can buy your own different colored yarn off amazon as well to customize it to where you're hunting. I love it cuz it only covers the important parts which is the head and upper body and leaves the rest of the body totally unrestricted! Figured most people sit or kneel with them on anyways so why have pants so they can just collect burrs and debris.
Never seen one of these. I wear a basic leafy mesh hood now, but this is like upgrading to Dwayne Johnson from Johnson & Johnson. Color me interested in this sniper viper thang.

I’ve not had good luck with mine. Burrs have pretty much made it inoperable after 2 uses. It was a total waste of $65. It’s sitting downstairs with the burrs still in it from 5 years ago because removing some makes others stick worse.
I’m sure lots of people can attest the virtues, but if I had to buy another one I’d probably just make one, or spend the extra $$ on a legit military ghillie.
yeah, the rancho safari is pretty legit. I"m planning on carrying it in, and putting it on when setup, so hopefully burrs wont be as big of a deal, but that makes total sense.

Any ghillie is going to pick up burrs and snags. It's kind of a carry in item or pay attention to where you walk type thing. Most are kind of heavy (not mine) and get real hot real quick as well.

This is my Bushrag Marc Anthony jacket. The solid patch at the bottom is the left sleeve that came with an almost white looking tan fleece with no materials in the way. I painted it too. I have had a deer lick my boot while wearing this full suit in Indiana on public ground!
c9b1a9e1ea76ff6bb7f92c1eb452324c.jpg

Back