• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Giving out your number via trail cam - is this a thing?

GreginPA

SH Member
So this guy was on my camera. Showing me his camera and then flashing what appears to be his phone number, which I can't fully read. Is this a thing? I mean I guess I've heard of it being a thing on private land, but this is public land. Wish I could read the number and I'd probably give him a text. Probably ask why he is out running cameras, not carrying a weapon while it is still open season lol. And I'd tell him that I made that mock scrape he is standing in front of (not actually a mock scrape)

7bcde38f-dc00-4f9a-be5e-ad7bc9401b10.jpg

I did this once when I found a guys camera in a very deep spot back on the National forest. I walked 2 miles one way up some steep thick stuff to get back to this spot where I had dropped a pin I was interested in and his camera was within 5 feet of the pin I dropped. I never heard back but I thought we would have a lot to discuss about the area and our tactics

Yea I have a card/plaque that I do it with if I realize someone is hunting the same area. Can be beneficial to try to coordinate hunts if someone is willing to. That way neither of you hike back in or drive many miles, for that matter, just to find someone there. I mean I guess either party could lie and always say yes they are going to be there. Typically though I find that guys that are willing to reach out will be honest with you. I have made some good relationships out of doing this. Has been very beneficial on out of state hunts.

I have not heard of such a thing. I wouldn’t call someone that did that, and I couldn’t see myself doing such a thing. I could see why some people would, just not for me.

I have not heard of such a thing. I wouldn’t call someone that did that, and I couldn’t see myself doing such a thing. I could see why some people would, just not for me.
Yep, to each their own. I understand both sides of the spectrum

I should add, I do not do it at every game camera that I pass. I typically only do it in secluded spots. Even then it is not everytime. I only do it in places I "assume" that they are the only other hunter (or very few hunters) accessing that spot. I would never do it in a highly pressured area.

Obviously not the same thing but here is a regulation for the state

View attachment 79977

in PA there is no requirement like this.

I asked my techy kid the same thing and he said "this isn't the movies" lol

I should add, I do not do it at every game camera that I pass. I typically only do it in secluded spots. Even then it is not everytime. I only do it in places I "assume" that they are the only other hunter (or very few hunters) accessing that spot. I would never do it in a highly pressured area.

just a thought for people who might do this. Like I said I can't read the number or the text below it. I requested the video from the camera, it came and the guy was silent the whole time. So just a thought for people who might be inclined to give out their number or something you should consider talking if you can tell it is a camera that may also take video.

This is a camera that is hard to access - which is why it is cellular and I also have a solar panel on it. no plans to visit that camera anytime soon.

Maybe it's a dating strategy..."call me, we have a lot in common. We both like cell cameras, deer hunting and taking long windy walks. Our favorite color is camo".

Looks like 717-110-1107 to me...

Attachments

• csi .jpg
    csi .jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Obviously not the same thing but here is a regulation for the state

View attachment 79977
I've walked by 30 cams this year in AR and none have name and numbers.... mine do.

To OP, I'd say a friendly gesture, this year I actually run into a guy in an area I had several cams and he did too, we've become pretty good friends over the last few months sharing some intel, and not messing each other up when we're hunting the area.

Back