• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Going back to the basic, applying the cleat hitch to any sticks/steps/platforms

HuumanCreed

SH Member
As always, do things at your own risk, I'm not responsible for your choices. Keep the lawyers chained to the basement where they belong please. Because after all...they are lawyers!

I liked the Tethrd stick attachment method, it seem really simple so I wanted to apply it to my sticks. But after researching for a DIY (because they don't sell it), it is basically the cleat hitch method that sailors have been using for thousands of years on ships. They just added a slot for the rope to settle into. @GCTerpfan has been applying the same method on his Hawk brackets for years, which kind of proves you don't need the slots.

I dislike daisy chain attachment method. Tried Amsteel and versa links, they cannot get tight enough for me. The trucker hitch combo seem to work well but I dont like maneuvering the tag end between the links.

Anyway I found that sometimes applying new concept to some basic idea can get the job done. With just Amsteel with a buckle hitched at the end, you can apply the cleat hitch to any stick that already has a versa button. To steps, you can add another second buckle or some rated hook and it work the same. I used EWO $2 buckles, a hook from an old Hawk straps, and 1/8 Amsteel.

The demo tree is probably the biggest tree I would ever hunt out of. But it actually work a lot better with smaller trees, less room for slacking. I found that 3 wraps around each buckle is good enough, but I just take the extra 5 second to keep wrapping so the rope is out of the way.

Here is a video of the Mini Hawk Helium with a buckle added. Excuse my fat butt. Or you can just add another versa button on top or bottom of the existing button, works too.

Here are some pictures and videos of my climbing system that I will be using next season as my one stick device. Its my submission to lightest climbing method contest. 1 buckle, 1 hook, 2 steps, and 18 feet of 1/8 amsteel, total weight is 15oz! Each setup can get me to 7 feet. I prussik the steps because it add the stability of a strap to the step, without it, the steps moved wayyyy too much. There is some movement but they always bounce back to original position, which I like. But its not the most solid if that's your thing.

Interesting. I can see how on the step the addition of the buckle piece works well, but having a hard time seeing what is different for the stick- isn't wrapping around the buckle/amsteel basically the same as wrapping around the button on the stick? And what keeps the buckle from rotating in a worst case scenario and loosening? When it's attached to the stick/tree the stick keeps it in place.

Sorry if these questions don't make sense, I'm obviously missing something here

Interesting. I can see how on the step the addition of the buckle piece works well, but having a hard time seeing what is different for the stick- isn't wrapping around the buckle/amsteel basically the same as wrapping around the button on the stick? And what keeps the buckle from rotating in a worst case scenario and loosening? When it's attached to the stick/tree the stick keeps it in place.

Sorry if these questions don't make sense, I'm obviously missing something here

So if you look at the buckleless method or rope mod, you HAVE to work the tag end behind the attached rope, so its pinched between the attached rope and stick as pressure is applied. But this method requires ropes and spacers to have a compatible diameter or else you can't get that good pinch.

Cleat hitch, the ropes are pinching each other pulling at opposite directions, so its a stronger hold. I'm not an expert on knots so l don't know the science or mechanic of it. But example, loop some paracord around your finger and hold one tag end. If you pull finger away it just unravels. But if you ties figure 8s around your pinky and thumb and try to pull them apart, its really hard even with minimal hold on the tag ends.

And as far as l experience, the buckle never moved yet. I'll try some torture tests later. I guess you can splice a piece of bungee cord at the tag end if you want that peace of mine.

We used to use small dock cleats on our home made stuff all the time. It’s safe secure and easy to remove when you’re done. Nice demonstration video but I have 2 questions
1) where is your lineman’s rope or tether :sweatsmile: and
2) Why in the great state of Florida are you wearing a mask while alone in the woods? Do trees catch covid? Or is it for the mysterious Batman effect so we can’t see you? :sweatsmile:
masking for a ; oops I meant asking for a friend…. Lol

We used to use small dock cleats on our home made stuff all the time. It’s safe secure and easy to remove when you’re done. Nice demonstration video but I have 2 questions
1) where is your lineman’s rope or tether :sweatsmile: and
2) Why in the great state of Florida are you wearing a mask while alone in the woods? Do trees catch covid? Or is it for the mysterious Batman effect so we can’t see you? :sweatsmile:
masking for a ; oops I meant asking for a friend…. Lol
1- was videoing at my smoke break at work. Don't smoke, but I'll take walks around the woods every few hours. If smokers can stop working for smoke breaks, l dont see why l cant do that for my mental health.

2-work on military base. Mask full time in office due to local county level. Honestly didnt even remember l was wearing mask.....life changed last few years....

Thanks @HuumanCreed . I work on boats and was wondering why a tiny boat cleat (or something else to add another location to wrap) wouldn't work. You've got a solid idea and it's a good starting point for me.

I can't tell if you're doing it or not, but if you can throw a couple of locking hitches on there it wouldn't be the worst thing. I think you've got enough wraps that you don't need it, but it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Back