• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Going in light...

Spence71

Had a last minute window open up for tomorrow am romp thru the woods. Got my Black Friday tethered deal predator pack all “loaded up”. First bare bones hunt tomorrow. I’m a little excited.

Lost half my crap. I do believe I’ve been hauling too much stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oops. Meant to drop a pic
6f653813bbdc58fe79755f15ec3e3e7e.jpg

I know right. There’s always next year. I read somewhere that bolts and such weren’t so frowned upon here in NC. Going to look into that.

I know right. There’s always next year. I read somewhere that bolts and such weren’t so frowned upon here in NC. Going to look into that.

I’m from NC and hunt gamelands quite a bit. The regs state you cannot permanently affix treestands with bolts, lags, screws, etc. “Lag screw” (screw in) steps for climbing are permitted as long as they are removed after use. I reached out to the Wildlife Commission for clarity on using bolts as a climbing method since they aren’t “permanently affixed” in the tree. They do no more damage than screw ins. I received no reply, but I feel like it will probably come down to individual game warden discretion. Also, I contacted the National Forest service in NC, and they let the state wildlife commission set the rules for hunting/climbing equipment—basically, if it’s permitted on NC gamelands, it’s permitted on NC national forests. That’s exactly what they told me. This isn’t the case in VA where I currently live; National Forest land up here plays by their own set of rules and screw ins/bolts aren’t allowed on federal land within the commonwealth.
My main point is this: contact the game warden stationed in the area you hunt and ask first. It’s better than spending your hunting gear money on a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m from NC and hunt gamelands quite a bit. The regs state you cannot permanently affix treestands with bolts, lags, screws, etc. “Lag screw” (screw in) steps for climbing are permitted as long as they are removed after use. I reached out to the Wildlife Commission for clarity on using bolts as a climbing method since they aren’t “permanently affixed” in the tree. They do no more damage than screw ins. I received no reply, but I feel like it will probably come down to individual game warden discretion. Also, I contacted the National Forest service in NC, and they let the state wildlife commission set the rules for hunting/climbing equipment—basically, if it’s permitted on NC gamelands, it’s permitted on NC national forests. That’s exactly what they told me. This isn’t the case in VA where I currently live; National Forest land up here plays by their own set of rules and screw ins/bolts aren’t allowed on federal land within the commonwealth.
My main point is this: contact the game warden stationed in the area you hunt and ask first. It’s better than spending your hunting gear money on a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta love gamelands in NC!!! Just wish mine were closer!!!

Yeah. That’s what I read as well. And was my plan was to find one and ask based on that. Never seen a GW in game land.... but don’t wanna find out the hard way

Yeah. That’s what I read as well. And was my plan was to find one and ask based on that. Never seen a GW in game land.... but don’t wanna find out the hard way

I was in the same boat. Never saw a Game Warden until this year on game land. Nice guy and do appreciate them checking. According to him, many guys are being caught breaking the laws...have fun, be safe and keep 'em on your side!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Same verbiage with Georgia, you can use bolts on public land as long as they are removed after the hunt. I spoke with the game warden and he confirmed that as long as the bolts are not permanent they are fine to use. I also called Georgia DNR hq office to ask and they confirmed as well. Georgia is bolt approved!

I use my saddle and LWHC to put my cameras up, so today I wanted to take out a camera so I just strapped on my Kite and grabbed the climber and ran out to get the camera. I thought to myself holy crap this is light. When I got home I put some shoulder straps on my hand climber seat and strapped a small fanny pack for my repelling rope and rangefinder and that's it. Can't get much lighter than that for public land legal.
31cf08bd5a3b621a59193a605d78ef12.jpg

Last edited:
How does the predator pack carry the weight of the sticks? Comfy enough for a long hike?

It’s fine...but not with stock straps. I added some amazon versions. Not the best. But better than the cinch bag style that come with it

Back