• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gone done spotted me!

CanuckBuck

Well fellas I hate to admit it but the only mature buck in this timber stand busted me lastnight. I was ground hunting as I am still not a saddle owner and decided not to use the climber. I was behind a 12” red pine and had a make shift natural blind built into it.

Well, the winds were just right and he always comes out when a front comes in and knew he would be coming from the bottom of the hill onto a small bump where i was waiting. I knew i would see rack before anything and would have enough time to position myself just right to get a shot once i spot him. This was my thinking and that may have been flawed! I was covered by the tree and the blind.

Then the rack popped up above the hill at 4:46pm est. All that was showing was my head slightly off to the side of the tree. I moved slightly, about an inch. That’s all it took. I watched in amazement that it was enough to alert him. I was in disbelief as I have been able to stalk deer older than this guy in equally pressured grounds. We had a standoff and he wasn’t willing to take a chance. No snort or anything, just the white flag as he trotted to another hunters direction. I cursed in my jacket and knew my day was over. What are the odds he comes back through? I have a camera setup close to where i got busted and will be taking it down before shotgun season on Monday so i guess we shall see if He is still alive and or nocturnal.

Attachments

• 2335EFA3-1F5E-4D8F-813E-1A77A19F1B6D.jpeg
    2335EFA3-1F5E-4D8F-813E-1A77A19F1B6D.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 102
It's better that he saw you instead of smelling you. He probably doesn't know what the movement was that spooked him so in that regard, he may come back. If he smelled you, I doubt he'd put himself in that position again...
I will agree with you there. I have had them come back in the evening if i bump them midday. But i only had 15mins of daylight left in those woods so decided to cool the spot down. Last year same thing happened but while i was walking into a primary scrape area. 10:30am(i know I should’ve been setup early that morning but had to take care of kids and had that one day to hunt so had to make the best of it). Anyways i let the spot cool down and when i came back he actually walked over my tracks i guess to smell what scared him. He never came back during daylight hours. That one was much larger than the one pictured and in way more pressured woods. Bucks are all the same but so different......
I will post an update if i catch him on camera. Thank you for your input bud

Well fellas I hate to admit it but the only mature buck in this timber stand busted me lastnight. I was ground hunting as I am still not a saddle owner and decided not to use the climber. I was behind a 12” red pine and had a make shift natural blind built into it.

Well, the winds were just right and he always comes out when a front comes in and knew he would be coming from the bottom of the hill onto a small bump where i was waiting. I knew i would see rack before anything and would have enough time to position myself just right to get a shot once i spot him. This was my thinking and that may have been flawed! I was covered by the tree and the blind.

Then the rack popped up above the hill at 4:46pm est. All that was showing was my head slightly off to the side of the tree. I moved slightly, about an inch. That’s all it took. I watched in amazement that it was enough to alert him. I was in disbelief as I have been able to stalk deer older than this guy in equally pressured grounds. We had a standoff and he wasn’t willing to take a chance. No snort or anything, just the white flag as he trotted to another hunters direction. I cursed in my jacket and knew my day was over. What are the odds he comes back through? I have a camera setup close to where i got busted and will be taking it down before shotgun season on Monday so i guess we shall see if He is still alive and or nocturnal.

Tough luck bud. Getting off the ground, one way or another really helps...

He came back! But has been nocturnal. Came back at 9:00pm same night. I thought for sure the other hunters would get him. He has been walking by the camera every night since he spotted me.
Unfortunately he beds about 150-200 yards onto private so i might have to setup right close to property line and hope he makes his way before dark. Anyways i will keep you folks posted.

Reactions: MJH
Last sunday i walked within 50 yards of a bedded buck. He blew once and took off. Wednesday I was hunting and he came in at 2pm but behind me. Of course I was having to adjust my saddle/torture diaper every 15 minutes for comfort and he spotted movement before i knew he was there. He just turned and fed off. He didnt come back through tonight but I think you might have a second chance just dont blow it like I did. (Last minimalist saddle hunt for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww man! So no more saddle hunting for you then? May I ask which saddle you’re using? Hate derailing the thread but my curiosity is getting the best of me.
Last sunday i walked within 50 yards of a bedded buck. He blew once and took off. Wednesday I was hunting and he came in at 2pm but behind me. Of course I was having to adjust my saddle/torture diaper every 15 minutes for comfort and he spotted movement before i knew he was there. He just turned and fed off. He didnt come back through tonight but I think you might have a second chance just dont blow it like I did. (Last minimalist saddle hunt for me).

Aww man! So no more saddle hunting for you then? May I ask which saddle you’re using? Hate derailing the thread but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Im currently using the AH Flex for second year. First year I tried the Mantis and it was horrid. I sold it and diy a fleece saddle with a rock climbing harness. Im a bigger guy (6-5” 230) who literally hikes with a pack on for a living for the last 10 years so my knees and back are beginning to fail like the others before me. You might not have the pain issues like me. Come to think of it, for like <$100 for fleece saddle/rch, why do we spend hundreds on these manufactured saddles with awefully designed leg straps and narrow cuts???

Last edited:
Back