• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Good article on setting up a Home Bow Shop

Pardon the ignorant question and thread tack-on, but how precise do bow presses need to be? Seeing some varying opinions online elsewhere so I figured I'd ask you all. I've seen some diy mild steel and car jack versions, is this something that a halfway competent welder (we can't all be @Weldabeast ) could accomplish, or do tolerances etc matter and better to just pony up for a commercial press that would be more precise if/when I were to set up a shop at home?

I have a bow press on the list of things to build....the little bit of looking I did, they are stupid easy to make.

If u can read a tape, cut square, and produce a decent weld it shouldn't be any problem for u.

I wish I could be more help. My friend has a store bought press that I was just gonna copy as best I could with what materials I have available but I haven't made it over there to take dimensions and detailed pics

If I remember right the little arms that actually contacted the bow were gonna be the most difficult. I found dimensions online

Pardon the ignorant question and thread tack-on, but how precise do bow presses need to be? Seeing some varying opinions online elsewhere so I figured I'd ask you all. I've seen some diy mild steel and car jack versions, is this something that a halfway competent welder (we can't all be @Weldabeast ) could accomplish, or do tolerances etc matter and better to just pony up for a commercial press that would be more precise if/when I were to set up a shop at home?
I’ve seen loads of easy green style presses that guys throw together from tube steel and just bought the limb fingers. Just so long as everything is square it looks like it’s pretty easy.

Last edited:
Contaminating your thread with stupid-cheap alternatives...

If you don't like the hand-crank aspect of this, get a drill :)

If you do also happen to have a bike, this will do double duty as a bow holder AND a bike vise (I don't know why Amazon mislabels it), for when you want to adjust the streamers on your bike handles like I do. But I can't seem to make my bike fit on a dedicated bow press, so... boo.

Can also use a dremel, a 2x4 made jig and some clamps to get a ghetto arrow cutter. Bonus points if you tape the hose from a wet dry vac near it to suck up the cut carbon bits that'll kill your lungs.

I have limited space to fit my hobbies in. I gotta be able to put things on top of a shelf, in a corner, under a tarp my wife never looks beneath, and in a corner of the budget that doesn't get noticed.

Some bow manufacturers will voild their warranty if something happens due to using the wrong bow press. Just something to keep in mind. It probably isn't something difficult to make if you have time, materials, patience and incliniation but what I will tell you is that you can get a great inline press right now from the guy that makes the Pac Presses for very reasonable. He makes a press that presses everything from 2" to 54" ATA and recently quoted me $550 for it shipped. PM me if you're interested. I have no affiliation whatsoever but have and use his products.

My next investment is a coops bowsmith or hooter shooter. Wholly unnecessary but I've always wanted to tune a bow with a machine myself then see how much I muck it up just by me picking up a perfectly tuned bow from a machine and watching the tail flap begin!!! I truly believe if we all saw our bows shoot perfect bullets from a machine, we would spend a lot less time on buying and changing and all that junk and spend much more necessary time on perfecting our mental and form game.

Saw a neat video today of someone who bolted their press onto one of those workbenches on wheels with the built in shelves like craftsman or husky make

Contaminating your thread with stupid-cheap alternatives...

If you don't like the hand-crank aspect of this, get a drill :)

If you do also happen to have a bike, this will do double duty as a bow holder AND a bike vise (I don't know why Amazon mislabels it), for when you want to adjust the streamers on your bike handles like I do. But I can't seem to make my bike fit on a dedicated bow press, so... boo.
Those bike stands are dope. I have a similar one with three legs instead of two but same idea. Being able to rotate the bow at any angle really makes sight, rest, and string adjustments a piece of cake.
The bow masters are also pretty good. I’ve done a few full string changes using mine.

Back