• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Good Read for mapping

Saddle Assassin said:
The book called mapping trophy whitetails is a very good read for how to use topo features and funnels to help you take more bucks.

Yes I have it, it is very informative.

I bought that book years ago and sold it diddnt help very flat where i live
Any insight on what to look for in flat country on maps?

Look for terrain changes - where brush meets weed field, different canopy breaks in timber, creeks/rivers, etc..... deer follow terrain features no matter where they live. And when they are not pestered they, like us, will usually walk through an area on the edge of cover and where it gives them ease of travel. I hunt a lot of rivers, and I set up a lot of times on fain trails that cut ACROSS oxbows - as the bucks, when they start cruising, will cut across these oxbows scent checking trails going in and out of them. In big woods, I look for slight elevation changes, where soft and hard woods met, ditches, lone oaks, etc......

Got it last x-mas...as said before me, full of info. Also, I like info w/pics-diagrams...I understand it more

It's a quality read. I hunt the Allegheny National Forest, suburban parks and local ag land. First time through it I figured I shot deer in most of those locations. Made me think more about why they worked and it speeds up the scouting process in new territory.

Definately a great book for travel routes for deer. Does any one know of a book that breaks down identifying bedding from topos and photos?

Definately a great book for travel routes for deer. Does any one know of a book that breaks down identifying bedding from topos and photos?

No book that I know of but check out Dan Infalt's Hill Country Bucks and Hill Country Bedding DVDs. Must watch videos for anyone hunting hill country.

The book called mapping trophy whitetails is a very good read for how to use topo features and funnels to help you take more bucks.

I’m reading this right now & I’ve become obsessed.

Also, I found a good handicap trail head for my 72 y/o Uncle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have the book and it's great when hunting the hills, but more commonly, I hunt very flat flood prone riverbottoms.

I now use the DEM (Digital Elevation Model) shading option in Caltopo and can do 3' elevation increments. For me, 20' in this area is completely useless - 3' determines if I need my hip boots, chest waders, or canoe.

This little amount of change is also indicative of ground that produces gum tress vs oak trees. This, combined w/google earth pro historical imagery is what is use in the river bottoms.

Last edited:
I've started to order Mapping Trophy Whitetails on a couple of occasions but, I've found a few websites were it gets some pretty bad reviews.

How much of the book is teaching you how to read topo maps and how much if it is teaching how deer deer relate to topo features? I've been surveying and making maps for 15+ years so I'm good with understanding topo features and reading maps but, I would be interested in learning more about how Whitetails relate to those features.

On flat country topo maps the key thing you need to look for are dashed blue lines. This is intermittent water. Even in flat country a stream that’s defined enough to show up on a topo has a defined depression. The dashed lines tell you it may or may not have water in it. A dry intermittent stream depression, especially near or in cover or along a flora transition can be and often is a buck magnet.

Heck, even in hill country like I live in bucks will jump in a ditch or depression any chance they get.

I've started to order Mapping Trophy Whitetails on a couple of occasions but, I've found a few websites were it gets some pretty bad reviews.

How much of the book is teaching you how to read topo maps and how much if it is teaching how deer deer relate to topo features? I've been surveying and making maps for 15+ years so I'm good with understanding topo features and reading maps but, I would be interested in learning more about how Whitetails relate to those features.

For me, so far it’s shown me how deer navigate saddled, benches, and common wind considerations you should make. It may not have the best grammar, but it’s been a good source of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have the book and it's great when hunting the hills, but more commonly, I hunt very flat flood prone riverbottoms.

I now use the DEM (Digital Elevation Model) shading option in Caltopo and can do 3' elevation increments. For me, 20' in this area is completely useless - 3' determines if I need my hip boots, chest waders, or canoe.

This little amount of change is also indicative of ground that produces gum tress vs oak trees. This, combined w/google earth pro historical imagery is what is use in the river bottoms.
Are you looking for high ground and using that to locate oaks?

Back