• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Got the ol Elvis leg this past weekend.

gameflogger

SH Member
Went to the hill country this past weekend to get set up for bow season this year. It was blistering hot and dry (102 degrees). I decided to set up my saddle in a shaded cedar tree on a water hole and practice for the season. A monster porker (Deuce and a half) came in to wallow in the mud and drink. After watching him and waiting for a clear shot for about 5 minutes the ol Elvis leg started and the jugular started throbbing. When he stepped out to give me a clear shot my bow (named Esau) was already drawn....... The mud donkey dropped his nose right on my trail in and gave off a grunt, I knew my time was limited so I let one fly. The G5 montec Hit him right in she shoulder, rolled the point and penetrated like a bull gerbil. The ol nasty schnarler laughed and grinned, shook out my arrow as if it were a horse fly and trotted off. After composing My emotions I took down my mobile hunting setup, packed up my gear and walked back to the hunting camp with my head hung low. I had about a half of a mile walk back to camp scolding myself “its all about shot placement”, “you got to pick a spot”..... the list goes on. I have been practicing and the shot was a chip shot, but sometimes the ol Elvis leg gets the best of us. Some of you may call it the Feva. Whatever it is called, I love it!!! And I hate it!!

100 grain montec g5 total arrow weight 430gr. I have seen a large pig shoulder stop a .243. 2143ft/lbs kinetic energy. A bad shot is a bad shot. A large dominant boar is harder to penetrate than any North American large game.

Never heard it referred to as Elvis leg but sure have experienced it. Get em next time!

100 grain montec g5 total arrow weight 430gr. I have seen a large pig shoulder stop a .243. 2143ft/lbs kinetic energy. A bad shot is a bad shot. A large dominant boar is harder to penetrate than any North American large game.
Sir, have you been introduced to the uhh... Fairy dust? Might need to keep a specific heavy arrow in your quiver for chances like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sir, have you been introduced to the uhh... Fairy dust? Might need to keep a specific heavy arrow in your quiver for chances like that.

I was introduced to the fairy dust by a friend of mine 20 years ago..........Not for me. I didn’t like the nose bleeds and jitters! J/k

I believe he means this kinda fairy dust

I believe he means this kinda fairy dust

I have tried the heavy arrow thing before, I have never had a problem blowing through most animals with my 430 gr setup. I will say if someone thinks a heavy arrow will blow through a 250 lb hog shoulder with anything other than a crossbow with a 200 lb draw weight then they are living in a “fairy” tale.

I have tried the heavy arrow thing before, I have never had a problem blowing through most animals with my 430 gr setup. I will say if someone thinks a heavy arrow will blow through a 250 lb hog shoulder with anything other than a crossbow with a 200 lb draw weight then they are living in a “fairy” tale.
I do worry about all the people who build their magic heavy arrows and aim for the shoulder. I’ve shot arrows from 400 grains to near 700 and no it ain’t a magic wand.

I do worry about all the people who build their magic heavy arrows and aim for the shoulder. I’ve shot arrows from 400 grains to near 700 and no it ain’t a magic wand.
Shot placement is the magic wand! It is best to shoot those huge boars quartered away so you can enter behind that shield and shoulder

If you’ve been watching ranch fairy long enough you’ll know he feels the same. I’d love to go on a pig hunt one day for sure
I love hunting hogs and my largest kill to date is 281lbs. They are sooooooo tough when they get that big. The 281# hog I killed had an arrow broke off in him about 4” long and there was an abscess around the slick trick broadhead. There was not even a visible scratch on his hide from the arrow that was lodged inside him. I had one on my trail camera a few years ago that had a battlescar from another hog about 2” deep and 4” long that I watched heal up in about 2 weeks on trail camera pictures. After 2 weeks the spot was not even visible except that it was slightly bald. I shot a big one once and he ran off with the arrow sticking out both sides and it looked like a blood runway for about 1/4 mile. It bled like crazy for a long way until I found a spot where he wallowed in the mud and got the arrow out. When the blood trail finally went to drops I was .53 miles as the crow flies from where he went into the woods 200 yards from where I shot him. Those rascals have some stayin power!

Back