• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Greetings from NE Houston, TX

JR74

Hello, saddlehunters!

My name is Joel and I live in Humble, TX. I've been hunting the Sam Houston National Forest out of a climber tree stand for a number of years and I finally decided I didn't want to carry over 45 lbs. of gear in and out of the woods every year, so I turned to saddle hunting for next season.

I've now purchased a RCH, made a DIY SitDrag saddle, and got some WE steps and a knaider/swaider set. All that remains is to put in some practice climbing with my new system and shooting from the saddle so I can be ready for next season!

Thank you all for your contributions to the wealth of information found on this site!

Welcome from Maryland! Plenty of time to practice & get comfortable with new gear before the season. Who knows what you’ll settle on by then!

Hello, saddlehunters!

My name is Joel and I live in Humble, TX. I've been hunting the Sam Houston National Forest out of a climber tree stand for a number of years and I finally decided I didn't want to carry over 45 lbs. of gear in and out of the woods every year, so I turned to saddle hunting for next season.

I've now purchased a RCH, made a DIY SitDrag saddle, and got some WE steps and a knaider/swaider set. All that remains is to put in some practice climbing with my new system and shooting from the saddle so I can be ready for next season!

Thank you all for your contributions to the wealth of information found on this site!
Welcome from Conroe TX

Are you using those wild edge steps with the perch? Curious how all of those pines are with the steps. Trees with the soft bark didn't not treat me well with those, so I moved to climbing sticks.

Fellow Texan here. From Bellville, TX, but live in VA now due to military.

Are you using those wild edge steps with the perch?

I haven't bought a perch, so I'm currently experimenting with a plywood DIY platform for the steps. So far, the 15/32 plywood I used isn't really strong enough to support my weight, so I may have to either double it up or try an aluminum plate instead. By the time I'm done with my experiment, I'll probably have spent more time and money than I would have just buying a perch!
Curious how all of those pines are with the steps. Trees with the soft bark didn't not treat me well with those, so I moved to climbing sticks.

I have found that pines are a definite "no go" with the wild edge steps as well. The bark is way too soft to cam properly, not to mention the mess of sap you end up with. Sweet gums and oaks have worked well for me so far though. I really need more practice with the steps before I can render a fair judgement on them, but at least I know for a fact that the cheap-o sticks I own are way too heavy and cumbersome to be a real option.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that problem. Thankfully my first few hunts were on better trees. I had two hunts in a row that were either on bad tress and/or it rained and the tree bark was too soft and I wobbled around. I quit after that and bought some cheap API sticks. They got the job done and finished the season for me. Since its the off-season and everyone has their gear I've been stocking up. Got some Hawk Heliums now. Having a slightly light set of sticks makes those walks in and out of the woods just a little easier.

I have a perch. I honestly really liked it. The steps are what I had issues with though.

I’m in Humble too. Last year was my first year hunting the Sam in a saddle. Loved it! Sold all of my tree stands.

Shoot me an IM if you ever need someone to scout with.

Back