• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Grip Insulation

I've used paracord (wrapped very tight to the bow), on several bows and it has worked out great. :cool:
I still have the thin grip that I like, but it has a thermal property to it and isn't slippery with cloth gloves.

Start with a single strand from the bottom (allow 12" to tie off later), along the front of the grip, then start wrapping down to the bottom of the grip and tie it off when you're finished to your liking. You can cut it off where you like and burn the ends to keep it from fraying. :)
As long as you keep the wrapping process tight, it won't move on you later.
Elite paracord grip wrap.jpg
Elite Ritual 30.jpg

I just use vet wrap. I’m not one to hold onto my bow a long time it’s either hanging or killin’. I use a hand muff with hot hand and thin liner wool gloves when it’s really cold. Otherwise usually nothing as my hands are in pockets or the muff.

I just use vet wrap. I’m not one to hold onto my bow a long time it’s either hanging or killin’. I use a hand muff with hot hand and thin liner wool gloves when it’s really cold. Otherwise usually nothing as my hands are in pockets or the muff.
I still have to carry the bow in and out of the woods and I'm not fond of carrying it by the string.

I've used batting tape (baseball bat) on an ILF Recurve grip. It doesn't mar the wood and it stays in place, because it sticks to itself.
This works great for when you're wearing cloth gloves in colder weather.
ILF wrap 1.jpg
ILF wrap 2.jpg

I still have to carry the bow in and out of the woods and I'm not fond of carrying it by the string.
I get that, I typically carry my bow with a bow sling to also protect the cams from long stem grass like timothy, goldenrod pieces, small vines, briars wedge between the cams and string or cables. The sling I use completely covers both cams and the string/cables. I’ve had instances where I couldn’t get a piece out to my satisfaction. This sling prevents that and still keeps my hands from having to hold the cold riser. Limbsaver used to make a piece that you stuck to the front of the handle of your riser to keep the tips of your fingers away from the cold riser.

I went to a sling a couple of years ago for walking in and out. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Now I can keep both hands tucked into pockets to stay warm instead of having to swap back and forth.

What sling are you guys using?
I used one from Allen for years that covered the cams only but a couple of years ago I bought one from LAS that’s from evolution archery in the $35 range and it works good but the top loop ripped out and instead of sewing it up again I found one from T&K Hunting and although it is expensive, it’s a lifetime investment and it’s bomb proof.

I went to a sling a couple of years ago for walking in and out. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Now I can keep both hands tucked into pockets to stay warm instead of having to swap back and forth.

Another benefit is less arm fatigue, if you put on miles it's noticeable.

What sling are you guys using?

I haven't tried one but am considering something like a creative outdoors Montana bowsling. Doesn't sheath the cams, but shifts load to your pack and offers quick access without any connectors on the bow.

In my previous post I said one of the bowslings was from evolution archery I was wrong, the one I meant is Elevation Outdoors.

Back