• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

guidos web vs mantis

huntingjamesbuck

I have a original guidos web saddle that I have hunted with an enjoyed for about 5 yrs. only drawback for me is the bulky straps but it is like the tree lounge of saddles. I am going to a mantis for next year . Does anyone who owned both of them have any feedback . I was wandering before I consider selling my guidos web.

I have a web and a flex , kestrel and treesuit and I would definitely keep the web for all day sits .Change your linesman belt to rope along with you tether and bridge.

That's the exact set up I have . I already changed tether and bridge. Was just wandering if the mantis would be as comfortable should I buy some knee pads if so which ones. Thanks

I have no experience with Guido's Web but I wouldn't sell it until I had a hunting season in the Mantis. There's a big difference between the two. The Web is known for it's comfort, the Mantis isn't, especially if you're a sitter, which you probably are since you're use to the Web. If you're a sitter, there are likely better choices out there. Yes, knee pads are a must.

Last edited:
I have two webs and a kestrel. I understand the bulk and weight thing.. but the comfort level just isn’t comparable. I use the web for Cooler days, short hikes,presets, and days my back or knees hurt. I use the kestrel for long hikes, hot weather. Knee pads are a must for the kestrel. Incidentally if you use knee pad,stretch your linemen’s rope between the kneepads it will make it even more comfortable on the tree.

I have no experience with Guido's Web but I wouldn't sell it until I had a hunting season in the Mantis. There's a big difference between the two. The Web is known for it's comfort, the Mantis isn't, especially if you're a sitter, which you probably are since you're use to the Web. If you're a sitter, there are likely better choices out there. Yes, knee pads are a must.
I totally agree with your statement. I would keep the web until he try the Mantis . Very solid advice.

I have a original guidos web saddle that I have hunted with an enjoyed for about 5 yrs. only drawback for me is the bulky straps but it is like the tree lounge of saddles. I am going to a mantis for next year . Does anyone who owned both of them have any feedback . I was wandering before I consider selling my guidos web.

I certainly won't try to sway you from purchasing a mantis. But you might consider looking at the JX3 Hybrid. It is a much improved version of the web. The big issues for me with the web were all addressed in this design. I hunt almost exclusively out of it now. It's awesome!

If you do decide to get a mantis, I would pay attention to the classifieds here over the next few months. Lots of new options available, and there will be plenty for sale in here for a good price. You can get into one to try for much less money than new.

Thanks .for all the help. I think I will be keeping my web for another option . Weight has never been a issue due to the fact I always carry a pack when hiking or hunting with equivalent weight.who sells the best knee pads for saddle hunting. Thanks.

I bought a pair of arcteryx knee pads from moose jaw. They have a sale a couple times a year. They aren’t necessarily the most comfortable knee pads to sit in but are the best to wear walking. They aren’t bad sitting either. I’m pretty sure they are selling a Chinese knock-off on eBay for much cheaper but I’m not sure how well they work.

I bought a pair of arcteryx knee pads from moose jaw. They have a sale a couple times a year. They aren’t necessarily the most comfortable knee pads to sit in but are the best to wear walking. They aren’t bad sitting either. I’m pretty sure they are selling a Chinese knock-off on eBay for much cheaper but I’m not sure how well they work.
I got them too but like you said not the most comfortable so I went back to my Trophy line knee pads.

I second buying the JX3 Hybrid. The weight penalty is small, it is easy to carry, and the most comfortable seat in the woods. You will sit still and see more deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why do the jx3 people keep hijacking any thread with the guido’s web in it???

the guidos web was the original and jx3 based off the web. I spoke with the owner of guidos web when he was retiring and he did not want his saddles to be taken over by any big corporation. I think alot of people who had the web now have the jx3. I enjoy my web for comfort but I am looking to go more lighter and less bulkier for mountains an public land . one thing I love about the web it has lumbar adjustment and back rest. I have slept in it a few times and forgot about where i was when i woke up. i dont imagine i will be doing that in the mantis.

Because the web isn't made anymore and the jx3 is the new "web". I have both. I haven't sold the web yet, but the jx3 carries a lot better. I don't have a mantis, but I do have other traditional "saddles". Different tools for different situations imo.

the guidos web was the original and jx3 based off the web. I spoke with the owner of guidos web when he was retiring and he did not want his saddles to be taken over by any big corporation. I think alot of people who had the web now have the jx3. I enjoy my web for comfort but I am looking to go more lighter and less bulkier for mountains an public land . one thing I love about the web it has lumbar adjustment and back rest. I have slept in it a few times and forgot about where i was when i woke up. i dont imagine i will be doing that in the mantis.
Thank you for a great response

Agreed, just pickup the new one then do side by side & sell the one you don’t want ( I think those are polar opposites, probably room in your season for both)
Yeah .I think I will hang on to both saddles and use which ever one makes more sense where I'm hunting I am going to pick up some Spurs and knee pads too. Think I will be able to climb better in mantis.
Thanks.

I don’t think hi jacking is the appropriate term. Otherwise, every thread on this forum has been hijacked. Theres none that stay exactly in the direction you might want.

Having said that, the JX3 people (I’m assuming I’m one of “those people”) are offering an option to a person who mentioned a specific issue that had with the web that the hybrid eliminates. Many people who own a web have never heard of the hybrid.

If the guy said ‘I’m tired of carrying around a 7lb web, it’s not worth the comfort advantage I want something that weighs a pound, what do you think about the mantis?’ - well, I suspect I would’ve just given the fellow my opinion of the mantis. But he didn’t. So I didn’t.

I started with saddle hunting in a Guido's Web, probably had it for 3 years before moving away.. I just donated to a local charity a couple weeks ago after transitioning to a Mantis, had it listed for a couple months and couldn't find an interested buyer. I think I would second that you should get the Mantis and give it some time before you pull the trigger on dumping your Web.(If you can sell it..)

It is probably the most comfortable sit out of anything I've ever been in. All day sits were no problem, this was the #1 pro of the Web... For me there were a lot of Cons through: Based on my experience, the Web is large and clunky which is why I ended up moving away. I hunt in a cold northern state, so I like to carry out my cold weather gear so I don't sweat. Not being able to carry a backpack with the Web was a deal breaker for me personally. I didn't like storing gear in the back rest because you can't get to it easily once in the tree..

I've only hunted my Mantis 2 seasons, but it's not the same comfort level of the Web, at least not from what I've been able to achieve yet.. It isn't uncomfortable, but it isn't a lazy boy either.. The size, weight etc. have made the transition well worth it for me. I also think it is a bit easier to shoot out of than the Web, less straps in the way.

I personally recommend making the transition.

Back