• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

H2 Saddles "Slingshot" review

trailblazer75

First, I'd like to say I haven't HUNTED from this saddle, so I'll update when I do.

I ordered this saddle on Monday the 25th and received it by Friday the 29th. Well packaged and quickly shipped. This is the saddle Heath makes that comes with a belt built in to hold the rig up as well as leg straps to prevent slipping out the bottom. It came with a nice 1 inch tubular webbing bridge tied off with water knots. The coloring is sweet, as I got the camo seat with tan leg strap. Orange thread. So far, the saddle is comfortable, simple and very easy to adjust. All in all, I have no complaints and considering the price point ($173 to my door), I'm happy with what I've got. I spent some time watching his videos on youtube and was glad to see how he'd weight tested the saddle, and it was cool to see that the amsteel he used was what broke before the webbing on the saddle. The molle webbing allowed me to easily attach 2 dump pouches on either side, the left being for my lineman's rope which stays tied onto the lineman's attachment point on my left side. The one on the right is for my tether and my ascender as well as an extra carabiner. All in all, for a saddle constructed like this, the comfort provided and simplicity, I'd give this saddle a 10/10.

Attachments

• slingshot 1.jpg
    slingshot 1.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 509
  • slingshot 2.jpg
    slingshot 2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 505
Thanks for the review. Considering the kite is only 25 more what are your thoughts?

Thanks for the review. Considering the kite is only 25 more what are your thoughts?
I'd have to be perfectly honest and say, I've never sat in the kite. So I'm not sure. I know Heath was great to deal with and that this saddle does everything I ask of it. So far when dealing with the owner/builder of the saddle, the customer service has been amazing and he even reached out to me personally on facebook to gather a little feedback, which I really liked. The kite is obviously a more mass produced saddle, but I'd bet you'd wait a lot longer for it vs the slingshot. As far as quality, I'd put the slingshot up against it any day of the week. The only thing I see that the kite has that the slingshot doesn't is the lower set of molle loops, where you could double thread your accessories. Which, I'm fine with. Is it worth another $25 and an extra 9 weeks of waiting? Not in my opinion.

Are you at all concerned that his website says the saddle is not intended to be used up in a tree?

Are you at all concerned that his website says the saddle is not intended to be used up in a tree?
Not a bit. I watched his testing video online and I think he pretty much has to say that to avoid liability. If I remember correctly, the amsteel cord he used to anchor the saddle he tested broke at over 6,000 pounds. The saddle itself looked new after the test. Sit drags say the same thing and guys have been using those at hunting height for quite a while. With the leg and waist straps used to keep you in the saddle, I'm confident in the fact that I can stay in the saddle and the saddle can hold my weight, and then some! I know other commercially built saddles don't come with that warning, but I'm also aware that my safety is in my own hands and regardless of what guarantees a company gives, the most likely component to fail and cause an injury is the end user.

Judging from the pictures it looks like a quality constructed saddle. I'm glad to see more options coming available. The company should work on getting certified and tested to remove the disclaimer.

Judging from the pictures it looks like a quality constructed saddle. I'm glad to see more options coming available. The company should work on getting certified and tested to remove the disclaimer.
I agree. I don't think this is his full time gig. I was order number 10,000 some odd. So he's gaining some traction and I think with a little more growth he could go mainstream.

I agree however there is no saddle certification body or process at this time. So where does he go? The closest company to having a certified saddle I would think would have to be New Tribe based on their main business of building arborist saddles.

I'm sorry did you say 10,000? That doesn't seem right.
I'll check my email when I get off work to be absolutely sure, and I'll update. But if I remember correctly, that was the number assigned to my order. It certainly could be that its just a random number as well. But it stands to reason that the sequence just goes up by one as a new order comes in.

Sometimes the order number doesn't mean that's how many are ordered. My order number on my saddle I ordered from Areohunter I believe was a random number because I was one of the first to order and my number was high. I have four saddles now and I have the luxury of sitting back and see all the new saddles that are coming out. So I probably wait till next year to see what comes out. I might try a mesh saddle next.

Sometimes the order number doesn't mean that's how many are ordered. My order number on my saddle I ordered from Areohunter I believe was a random number because I was one of the first to order and my number was high. I have four saddles now and I have the luxury of sitting back and see all the new saddles that are coming out. So I probably wait till next year to see what comes out. I might try a mesh saddle next.

Order number has almost nothing to do with volume or quantity of inventory or orders. A lot of times people run test orders through their e-commerce system, or its tied to a 3rd party inventory system that might assign order numbers for various reason.

Order number is just an order number. Nothing more. I always get a chuckle when people ascribe significance to their order number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back