• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hammock chair for bowhunting

wayne r

A small project I have wanted to do for a while now, seeing as we are on lockdown I decided on doing a quick hammock chair to lighten the load of hunting, 53" long x 40" wide with whoopie slings, it's not really a how to just showing you all, if anyone is interested i can show more detail, regards wayne.
oh it weighs in at 3 oz including stuff sack and whoopies. It also has bungie cord around the sides so it doubles as a waterproof pack cover.
14X1xt9.jpg

g4URFqF.jpg

I8EQUZq.jpg

ExYpspD.jpg

Do you think one of these made out of fleece would work?

To be honest I have never tried with fleece, do a test piece and see what’s best, regards Wayne

For fleece, would 4mm stitches be best?
I would go to about 2.5 to 3.5mm for stitching on fleece dependent on thread size. Typically from my research, I have observed and read that most clothing is made at 2.5 to 3mm. Plus a setting off 3mm gives you about 8 stitches per inch on my machine (think Sailrite webbing stitches link in stickies under sewing).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Also there is a huge thread on a fleece saddle on here somewhere. A lot of info on that. RCH required though for either style of these (fleece or hammock style).

Also there is a huge thread on a fleece saddle on here somewhere. A lot of info on that. RCH required though for either style of these (fleece or hammock style).

What about a webbing saddle with a fleece liner or a fleece saddle with a webbing surround?

What about a webbing saddle with a fleece liner or a fleece saddle with a webbing surround?
The benefit and comfort from a fleece saddle comes from it's stretch, light weight, and packability. Webbing on the outside would limit these factors.

A saddle inside would work and you would just use it in place of the rock climbing harness (RCH). Wear the saddle and have it as a backup.

Here is a link to one of the threads. I'll try to find the other 1.

The benefit and comfort from a fleece saddle comes from it's stretch, light weight, and packability. Webbing on the outside would limit these factors.

A saddle inside would work and you would just use it in place of the rock climbing harness (RCH). Wear the saddle and have it as a backup.

Here is a link to one of the threads. I'll try to find the other 1.

I tried a fleece saddle with RCH while hunting and found it less comfortable than my sit drag. I think I posted in the thread you referenced. I would not trust those girth hitched ends since I had one slip on me at ground level. I did a DIY saddle recently with a doubled 4 inch trucker's strap which is the most comfortable I have tried.

I tried a fleece saddle with RCH while hunting and found it less comfortable than my sit drag. I think I posted in the thread you referenced. I would not trust those girth hitched ends since I had one slip on me at ground level. I did a DIY saddle recently with a doubled 4 inch trucker's strap which is the most comfortable I have tried.
Yeah a proper hammock whipping and proper knot are needed or it will slip. I have not tried a fleece saddle but I have been interested in it for years.

If you want comfort, you should try a wraptor, wrap2r, or recon. I made a wraptor last year and it was super comfy but I didn't hunt out of it because I wanted to SRT every hunt to see if I liked it. I also added leg straps which resulted in the wraptor losing some of its comfort. I'm thinking it want able to fully rotate independently.

I hunted out of my wraith that I put fleece on. It was way more comfortable than any other saddle I made.

I'm actually thinking of making another wraptor/recon clone so I can use it to 1 stick, SRT, or webbing/aider climb. I just can't decide if I want to tackle that project or my 90° hammock build.

@wayne r are you able to show us the hammock chair setup as if you were bow hunting from it? This is a ground hunting option I’m assuming?

@wayne r are you able to show us the hammock chair setup as if you were bow hunting from it? This is a ground hunting option I’m assuming?
I don’t have anything in the garden to hang it from but as soon as I can get out to set it up and show you I will, yes ground hunting I usually use a net blind in front and wanted a chair to sit on this should work I have seen others using similar and I think there is a couple of commercial ones available, regards Wayne

I don’t have anything in the garden to hang it from but as soon as I can get out to set it up and show you I will, yes ground hunting I usually use a net blind in front and wanted a chair to sit on this should work I have seen others using similar and I think there is a couple of commercial ones available, regards Wayne
I can look it up but would rather unravel it here. Does the top attach to a tree and the front to a stake or another tree just lower?

Sorry yes I can explain a little you can use it either way if you have one tree then yes upright.
a short strap round the tree then the whoopee sling attaches then yes either stake out the bottom or to a low log or branch, if you have two trees close by then I would rotate the chair and set both whoopies just enough to sit with your feet on the floor this gives more room to sit with a low back, regards Wayne, oh the other option is a thin branch through the bottom hem to creat a wilderness chair

Yeah a proper hammock whipping and proper knot are needed or it will slip. I have not tried a fleece saddle but I have been interested in it for years.

If you want comfort, you should try a wraptor, wrap2r, or recon. I made a wraptor last year and it was super comfy but I didn't hunt out of it because I wanted to SRT every hunt to see if I liked it. I also added leg straps which resulted in the wraptor losing some of its comfort. I'm thinking it want able to fully rotate independently.

I hunted out of my wraith that I put fleece on. It was way more comfortable than any other saddle I made.

I'm actually thinking of making another wraptor/recon clone so I can use it to 1 stick, SRT, or webbing/aider climb. I just can't decide if I want to tackle that project or my 90° hammock build.

I don't think anything will be more comfortable than my Yellow Jacket Saddle (tm) build. The seat is so wide the pressure is low per square inch. Anyone who has had thin straps digging into their leg has experienced the effects of too much force over too small an area.

Back