• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hamskea drop away

Jrain904

SH Member
Anyone have any issues saddle hunting with the hamskea? Being that is isn’t really full containment until full draw I’m wondering if anyone has had “floppy arrow” syndrome in the saddle. Thanks

Have yet to hunt with it, but got the trinity hunter (I think that's what it is) a few month back. It tuned so easily it was amazing. Was bareshaft shooting bullet holes in 4 shots. I've climbed to hunting height and shot it a few times, I don't forsee that it will be any issue as long as you're not flailing around around with the bow in your hands.

Hunted all year last year, first year in the saddle. No issues with a hamske! Love em

Has anyone mastered “letting down” with a hamskea yet?

Has anyone mastered “letting down” with a hamskea yet?
R u just referring to letting the bow down once drawn? I find the high let off bows dictate how hard it is over the rest. I never noticed any issues letting down my rest.

Following. I have one i acquired sitting in the box of stuff. I was pretty happy with my quad. But everyone seems to talk highly of these.

im talking about keeping the arrow from flinging all around on let down with a hamskea
Strapped on a release, grabbed the bow and walked around for ya. Arrow doesn’t fling around. I’m not that strong, pulling 67lbs and higher let off bow and no problem. 85% letoff.

if you don’t make a effort to slowly let down I could see what you’re saying happen but mine never let the rest

Following. I have one i acquired sitting in the box of stuff. I was pretty happy with my quad. But everyone seems to talk highly of these.
I’m not very brand loyal tbh. I’ll shoot whatever bow, on a Hoyt kick rn. But I shoot a hamskea rest and don’t even ask about anything else. There’s a ton of good ones out there but I just have a ton of confidence in my hamskea.

I have a primer and it came with a rubber U shelf with double sided tape you stick on the arrow shelf. I don’t notice any unwieldy movement at letdown. It sounds like you may be over bowed if it’s that extreme when you let down.

Love my hamskea. Won’t use anything else until these start sucking or go out of stock.

Letting down smoothly arrow doesn’t dance much.

No issues out of saddle, 20+ deers dead.

Same for me. The paddings on the rest and adding some padding around the area your arrow rest on your actual bow does a good job of reducing sound of bouncing arrow.

Been shooting with a Hamskea for the past few months. Works as it should but will be going back to a qad or aae prophecy for hunting. I just like the way u can set them in the "up" position and more containment with less arrow moving. Another big reason is I can get my quiver closer to the bow with the other two. The Hamskea sticks out too far and hits the arrows in my quiver if I don't adjust the quiver out. It might only be a 1/2 " but I'd rather have it closer to the bow. It's a great rest just not the best for my hunting setup.

Never had any issue with a hamskea in any hunting situation. Saddle or ground or full draw or drawing or letting down. I’ve done more letting down than shooting. No floppy arrow syndrome. Of course I use a blade rest on my target bows so maybe it gives me a better feel.

I shoot a Hamskea Trinity Pro and the small amount of additional arrow movement isn't an issue for me. I just make sure anywhere a nocked arrow can touch anything loud is covered with stealth strips. Letting down is easy if you aren't overbowed. I'm underbowed on purpose. The only thing I don't like about letting down is the close to 90% let off on my bow makes the shoulder muscles disengage and then re-engage as the cam rolls over and this can cause the head of the humerus to move in the joint. This isn't affected by the arrow rest though.

The only other rest I'd consider is a vapor trail. I'll never shoot a QAD again unless forced to use my backup bow.

Never had any issue with a hamskea in any hunting situation. Saddle or ground or full draw or drawing or letting down. I’ve done more letting down than shooting. No floppy arrow syndrome. Of course I use a blade rest on my target bows so maybe it gives me a better feel.

On my Mathew’s the let down was very aggressive and I had trouble controlling the arrow. On my new Hoyt (same draw weight) I decided to try a whisker biscuit to avoid the let down issues I had with the hamskea. Well my accuracy definitely suffered so I decided to go back to the hamskea. The Hoyt has a much smoother draw and let down. I now have zero issue controlling the arrow in the let down. I think it was just the Mathew’s giving me trouble.

On my Mathew’s the let down was very aggressive and I had trouble controlling the arrow. On my new Hoyt (same draw weight) I decided to try a whisker biscuit to avoid the let down issues I had with the hamskea. Well my accuracy definitely suffered so I decided to go back to the hamskea. The Hoyt has a much smoother draw and let down. I now have zero issue controlling the arrow in the let down. I think it was just the Mathew’s giving me trouble.
I’ll be honest. I haven’t shot a Mathew’s in years because I felt like it was going to jerk my shoulder out of socket letting it down. I hate a Mathew’s draw cycle. Just so rough with a short valley. I’m weird I guess. I find prime and xpedition much easier in the comfort level. Glad it worked out.

Everyone now thinks they should be pulling at least 70 lbs. This is a touchie subject because people take it akin to being called weak in public. It's not.

I'd suggest pulling significantly less than your max pull. I haven't tried it, but I'm fairly confident that I could pull a 90 lbs compound bow (at least once), but I shoot 60 lbs because it is just a joy to shoot and hunt with and I'm interested in keeping my joints in great shape as I age.

Last edited:
Back